mid-air collision... avoided

Peter Ha

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Leadpan
Hey folks,
Need some feedback from flight the other day.
This area is busy with students and other pilots sight-seeing and training. I saw the other plane on Fore-flight; I made position reports, indicating clock-wise maneuvers. Not sure why other plane decided to LEFT turn into me as I turned right. This reminded to always keep your eyes outside and not inside for traffic! :eek:
Skip to 17:10 mark of this video:

Last edited:
That plane was still a good distance away.

Not sure why you think "position reports" will keep other planes away from you. Looks like see and avoid worked just fine. Wasn't all that close. Normally one clears the airspace before doing stalls and similar maneuvers.

This is 360 video, so you may need to move screen around to bottom-left is where other plane is. Other plane descended while I ascented when we saw each-other.
Eh? What am I looking for. I don't see any other planes at 17:10. Not sure why y ou think "position reports" will keep other planes away from you.

Meh, didn't look close to me. See and avoid for the win.

This is 360 video, so you may need to move screen around to bottom-left is where other plane is. Other plane descended while I ascented when we saw each-other.

First time I’ve ever seen a 360 video on YouTube. I’m more impressed with that...lol. Very cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That wasn’t even close to a mid-air imo. You were well above them.

The extreme fisheye in his camera makes the other plane look much further away than it actually was. Just like the convex mirror on the passenger side of your car.

"Objects in mirror are closer than they appear"

That said, how much closer was it, only @Peter Ha knows...

First time I’ve ever seen a 360 video on YouTube. I’m more impressed with that...lol. Very cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The extreme fisheye in his camera makes the other plane look much further away than it actually was. Just like the convex mirror on the passenger side of your car.

"Objects in mirror are closer than they appear"

That said, how much closer was it, only @Peter Ha knows...

Yes, it was CLOSE.

I panned around, cool to see that ability on YouTube! But I could not see another airplane anywhere

either way, things happen fast, and good to keep a lookout outside, good job avoiding a midair

I panned around, cool to see that ability on YouTube! But I could not see another airplane anywhere

either way, things happen fast, and good to keep a lookout outside, good job avoiding a midair
Around the 17:20 mark, look out toward the left wing and down, hard to miss, yellow plane, pretty close.

Saw 3 or 4 stalls, didn't see any clearing turns.

Just watched it on my phone in 360° view.

1) 360 view is pretty cool. Also, NTSB will appreciate that at some point (not the OP in particular, but in general).
2) Both aircraft are high wing, the other aircraft is lower. You're both doing maneuvers. You're in a better position to see him than he can see you.
3) There's plenty of space. You'll eventually experience a near miss and there'll be no doubt.
4) do clearing turns early and often when doing maneuvers. Planes can sneak up on you. Self announcing position doesn't give you any right to airspace. If you need to coordinate with the other aircraft, do so in plain language.

I dunno, looked well below (500') and probably 1/4 mile or so away. Not that it wasn't "close" for a target you weren't in contact with, but I don't consider it much of anything dangerous. I had another aircraft pass below me over a lake when I was around 1K' AGL when I did my marriage proposal to my (now) wife. It was a bit uncomfortable seeing them less than 1/4 mile away coming the dead-on opposite direction, but I didn't consider it dangerous. If they had been at my same altitude, it could have been disastrous and extremely difficult to spot visually. It was just odd that they happened to be flying over the same section of a lake 45 miles away from anything resembling civilization, lol. Definitely made me extra-vigilant, though.

Around the 17:20 mark, look out toward the left wing and down, hard to miss, yellow plane, pretty close.
Damn! that was close!

These "practice areas" always freak me out..

and to the OP's point, simply announcing your position won't save you, people have to look, AND, listen, and be vigilant of their own position

Damn! that was close!

These "practice areas" always freak me out..

and to the OP's point, simply announcing your position won't save you, people have to look, AND, listen, and be vigilant of their own position

In addition, that plane was initially on SAME altitude headed straight toward me! :eek:
At last moment, other pilot said "descending" and I said "ascenting right"

Hey you did good. I can remember having "near misses" several times back in the 80's when I was 19 years old and flying (and sometimes scud running) cross countries with zero ATC help and of course no ADSB - In. And a 19 year old brain, which was probably the worst part. I can remember having airplanes cross in front of me and being able to see the eye color of the pilot. Terrible.

I love the new technology today. I really appreciate the job that ATC does for us too. It is just a great combination. But you did good, because in the end, it is still your eyes that are your primary tool to keep you out of trouble. The other stuff is just backup. You did good.

Hey you did good. I can remember having "near misses" several times back in the 80's when I was 19 years old and flying (and sometimes scud running) cross countries with zero ATC help and of course no ADSB - In. And a 19 year old brain, which was probably the worst part. I can remember having airplanes cross in front of me and being able to see the eye color of the pilot. Terrible.

I love the new technology today. I really appreciate the job that ATC does for us too. It is just a great combination. But you did good, because in the end, it is still your eyes that are your primary tool to keep you out of trouble. The other stuff is just backup. You did good.

I give you sir (and others) who flew before me without these tools... standing ovation.
I can't believe there weren't mid-air every week! :rolleyes:
It's like driving the LA 405 or 101.

Last edited:
First off super cool video style. I never saw a flight vid like that. Want to see more.
Second off I do think he was pretty close for my comfort. But not harm done. You saw and were waiting and reacted. Good piloting and ADSB for the win!

Did your foreflight go "Red"? Give you an alert?

Did your foreflight go "Red"? Give you an alert?

Probably did but wasn't looking at Foreflight at that point.
It did show yellow prior; after that I was too focused on looking outside for bogie at 12.

The more you fly in SoCal airspace, you will experience this occasionally. That's what makes ADSB traffic so valuable. Looks like everything worked as it should Both planes seemed to see and avoid!

The more you fly in SoCal airspace, you will experience this occasionally. That's what makes ADSB traffic so valuable. Looks like everything worked as it should Both planes seemed to see and avoid!

Yes, ADS-B is great. But why did other pilot turn-left into me?
Aren't we suppose to turn right to avoid?

Yes, ADS-B is great. But why did other pilot turn-left into me?
Aren't we suppose to turn right to avoid?

Brain fart. It happens. Be ready for the unexpected, always have an out.

ADS-B scares me to death, since I keep looking for single engine GA targets inside of three miles and can't find them, even with my good glasses on. I used to see fighter targets head on outside of ten miles with no glasses, albeit with a HUD cue.

Getting old sucks, beats the alternative.

I tried watching your video on my computer and it was giving me a headache. How can I watch it in 360 view?

I tried watching your video on my computer and it was giving me a headache. How can I watch it in 360 view?
Try using chrome browser or YouTube app to view 360 video.

What brand of camera are you using? That 360 panning is pretty cool!

Back