Tail number appearing elsewhere

tigerowner

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Tigerowner
I noticed via Flightaware that a plane reporting my tail number via ADS-B was "seen" at an airport hundreds of miles from my home base. I know my plane was tucked in the hangar at the time.

Is there something I should do? Should I contact the FAA about this?

This happens quite frequently; some say it's an ADS-B system fault, others say it's someone 'spoofing' the tail number of others. The former is bad, the latter is worse! I've notified someone when their airplane was indicating it was in my area, whilst it was at a hangar 1,500 miles to the west.
If the plane was on an IFR flight plan, it should be easy to figure out the actual plane involved.

Happens all the time. Someone talking to ATC and they mistakenly enter the wrong tail number.

The former is bad, the latter is worse!

Why? Neither means a hill of beans.

Controller can tag aircraft with whatever they’d like to override it.

Just garbage in from a non-repudiated badly designed system creating garbage out. Easy to design away, but they didn’t.

Big fat ohhhh well, not my problem, if I’m transmitting correct data.

Well, until they have to mandate “Version 2” for fixing the jacked up design that’s thirty years outdated, for the children’s “safety” from Martha King running drugs.

LOL! :)

I suspect it’ll only try become “fun” if/when they start using it to pay for services. It’s way too broken for that, but they’d try it anyway.

Some good tape and any plane can have any number you want.
We sell colored duct tape! Get creative!

Run drugzez or gunzez!

Be gangsta!

I know, the latter just told my age.

fly to the scene of the incident, or be recovered at the scene of the tragedy

If the dataa comes from FA's ADSB trackers, that's one thing. If it comes from he FAA data feed, the latter is full of gibberish at times.

Tape?
When I bought my plane it really didn't have a tail number on it. All that was left was the fuzz from an old sticker. A friend asked me if I was going to fix it before someone noticed and had a problem with it. I just took a sharpie and darkened it up, I have to reapply sharpie every 8 to 10 months.

You want worse?
I got a call from "The FAA" asking if had been flying out west somewhere. "Nope. The plane is in the hangar...unless you know something I don't"

He said it can be a controller entering the wrong tail number.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Back