Lost an engine today in a 421

kep5niner

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Pete
After an uneventful 3.0 flight joining a friend in his 421, we landed at our destination. On the roll-out while still on the active, the #2 engine abruptly quit. We taxied to the FBO on one engine, attempted to start the #2 again, no movement.

Talked to TAS and RAM, with a local A&P on hand, and it sounds like a tear down due to sudden stoppage is in order. Upon inspection after shut down, prop would not budge, with a definite metal clank coming from the #5 cylinder area. My friend took it in stride. He went on to his meeting, and I coordinated for commercial trans back to the home drone. That was a complete sh*t show with all the coronavirus issues and commercial air travel, so just proceeding with a rental car.

I guess if you’re going to loose an engine, best case scenario is to be on the ground. However, I have a lot of empathy for my buddy. I’m on the hook for a rental car. He’s on the hook for an engine.

Just reflecting after today, it could have been a lot worse. Hope he gets the bird back OK without too much trouble.

Good time to lose one for certain, but that could be a tough taxi in that airplane.

If you are going to have an engine failure, on the ground is the best spot to brick it. I live by the motto "No matter how bad it is, it could have always been worse" and that seems to fit here.

After an uneventful 3.0 flight joining a friend in his 421, we landed at our destination. On the roll-out while still on the active, the #2 engine abruptly quit. We taxied to the FBO on one engine, attempted to start the #2 again, no movement.

Talked to TAS and RAM, with a local A&P on hand, and it sounds like a tear down due to sudden stoppage is in order. Upon inspection after shut down, prop would not budge, with a definite metal clank coming from the #5 cylinder area. My friend took it in stride. He went on to his meeting, and I coordinated for commercial trans back to the home drone. That was a complete sh*t show with all the coronavirus issues and commercial air travel, so just proceeding with a rental car.

I guess if you’re going to loose an engine, best case scenario is to be on the ground. However, I have a lot of empathy for my buddy. I’m on the hook for a rental car. He’s on the hook for an engine.

Just reflecting after today, it could have been a lot worse. Hope he gets the bird back OK without too much trouble.

An engine quitting at idle is usually just an adjustment to idle fuel or air or something, probably nothing catastrophic. I’ve had it happen. In a 402 and in an Arrow. But of course sudden stop is something different!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are going to have an engine failure, on the ground is the best spot to brick it. I live by the motto "No matter how bad it is, it could have always been worse" and that seems to fit here.

Amen to that! We were very lucky that our #2 cylinder ate it's intake valve while we were on the ground.

Yikes, glad it happened on the ground. Don't understand the sudden stoppage bit, unless it happened with a thud. although a metal clank makes it a moot point anyway.

Just got that previous pic from my buddy. The alternator (on the front of the engine, right next to #5 cylinder) may have sheared the shaft, potentially making the metal.

Regardless, it was indeed an abrupt stop to the engine, and there was no turning the prop afterward. Not sure what TCM defines as sudden stoppage, but when TAS, RAM, and the local A&P call for a tear-down, it would be foolhardy to dismiss that. And the metal in the filter was the last nail in the coffin. I’ll update as I know more.

Back