Can my starter freeze?

It looks like “Skymon’s” device is easily portable, just some rags and a rope. Very cheap and light equipment to carry when your starter conks out. It looks pretty safe too.

So as a follow up, my mechanic in Northern NV just called to say he was able to swap out the old starter for the new Skytec that I had shipped to the FBO. Once installed he fired the plane up and said she started immediately. So there was something definitely wrong with the old starter.
Instead of the 149NL, have you thought about this style of starter?

Man... reading through this thread, I just have to laugh. Not over your misfortune on this one, but... man... been there done that. Welcome to airplane ownership haha!!

If it makes you feel any better, one time I had to leave a 172 and drive 8 hours home because the field was fogged in 0/0, right before Christmas. The fog didn't let up for four weeks! I'd be curious to hear others' tales of woe - that'd be worth another thread!

I wish the OP would give some details regarding the mechanic's findings.

So I flew the plane home on Sunday and it flew fine. I do not have the results of the starter issue just yet because the mechanic who fixed it was going to leave it in the plane but instead he took it by accident. He is going to mail it to me and once I have it I will then have it checked out and will send an update.

Back