[NA] so sick of iTunes

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Transferring a song from my dell laptop to my iphone should be a 3-minute task, not a 45 minute frustrating & unsuccessful effort.
It should be as simple as moving files around.
Has anyone used, and liked an alternative?
Seeing lots of apps on google but would like first hand accounts.

Quit using Apple products and it’s a non issue, lol. Windows Media Player is surprisingly good at being a Media player and performing music/media transfers.

Transferring a song from my dell laptop to my iphone should be a 3-minute task, not a 45 minute frustrating & unsuccessful effort.
It should be as simple as moving files around.
Has anyone used, and liked an alternative?
Seeing lots of apps on google but would like first hand accounts.
If you had a MacBook, you could use AirDrop as an alternative to iTunes.

Neither of those work I'm afraid.
I have an iPhone.
I have a PC laptop.
Need a solution within those constraints.

Im assume a full blown sync doesn’t work...
Try selecting just the songs you want to transfer.

Im assume a full blown sync doesn’t work...
Try selecting just the songs you want to transfer.

have updated both
have restarted both
have backed up
then sync'd
'Step 1, Step 2, Step 3' seems to complete but does not transfer songs
manual transfer, as has worked in the past seems to complete but does not transfer songs.

Need a different app compatible with iphone and PC laptop!
I can't be the only one of a billion users wanting this!

Anything I select on my iTunes account automatically goes to all my devices. Wife and daughter are on family share. Works perfectly. Big fan.

have updated both
have restarted both
have backed up
then sync'd
'Step 1, Step 2, Step 3' seems to complete but does not transfer songs
manual transfer, as has worked in the past seems to complete but does not transfer songs.

Need a different app compatible with iphone and PC laptop!

Don’t sync, just individually copy song to the device .

...Need a different app compatible with iphone and PC laptop!

You aren't. I have the same combo, same frustration.
So watching this thread with interest...
:popcorn:

As background, I bought my first Mac in 1985 and have used iTunes from its inception to manage a fairly large music collection.

That collection includes music purchased from Apple (very little), music downloaded from Napster and Limewire, albums ripped from my own CD collection (since sold) and music ripped from CD’s borrowed from others and the library.

iTunes got the job done fairly elegantly early on, when it just had to move music to an iPod, but its grown into the monstrosity it is today, asked to do way too many things in ways that ca n be very far from Steve Jobs’ mantra, “It should just work”.

Honestly, I haven’t visited iTunes in at least a month. And that’s usually just to synch photos to my iPhone and iPad. The less I have to open it, the better.

What’s working for us right now is to simply forget the concept of “owned” music and music libraries and get our music streaming from the cloud. Being Apple people we pay $14.99/mo for a family subscription to Apple Music, which seems cheap compared to what we used to spend buying CD’s, let’s say. Google, Amazon, Pandora and others also offer music services that may be as good or better than Apple’s offering.

In practice, this means not being concerned with the music that’s physically on our devices. Yes, Apple Music lets us download music to our devices, but unless we know we’re going to be out of cellular range, we rarely do.

To see how it works, we recently did a 3 week road trip to Florida. Once tired of the news and podcasts, we on a whim listened to albums by Don Henley, Pink Floyd, Ry Cooder, Ricky Nelson and a few others that escape me now. All available streaming via Apple Music. Back home, someone recommended the latest Drive By Truckers album and another friend recommended Jason Isbell and I’ve enjoyed both via Apple Music.

Anyway, just wanted to point out that abandoning the whole concept of owning and loading music onto a device from a music library can be readily abandoned with very little downside. It might be worth a try.

Apple needs to start an Apple Airplanes business. Flat monthly fee to fly anything from classical (Cessna taildraggers) to rock 'n rollin (in a TBM 9XX).
I would love to abandon the whole concept of owning and loading my own planes. :D

I can easily see where it has become a 'preserve the revenue stream at all cost' issue for them.

It wouldn't let me drag individual songs over again tonight, so I tried a manual sync.
Completely erased all my music off the phone.
But look! They are offering all sorts of ways to buy music from them!

I am a positive-thinker.
This will motivate me to totally shuck itunes, either get a replacement app.....or not buy another iphone. I really enjoyed other things about the iphone, but I am feeling seriously phucked with right now.

It wouldn't let me drag individual songs over again tonight, so I tried a manual sync.
Completely erased all my music off the phone.
But look! They are offering all sorts of ways to buy music from them!

I am a positive-thinker.
This will motivate me to totally shuck itunes, either get a replacement app.....or not buy another iphone. I really enjoyed other things about the iphone, but I am feeling seriously phucked with right now.

You might want to give this a try:
(It will synch to iOS devices)

https://www.mediamonkey.com/download?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-LHRyMiM6AIVhZ6fCh0Wjg8-EAAYASAAEgILzfD_BwE

I used to keep all my songs on my iPad to listen to when flying...not anymore...I have the same issues with the same combination as you, Dave. iTunes sucks as compared to 2 or 3 years ago.

I now have all my songs on my droid phone and plug it in instead when flying.

Streaming can be marvelous, but is of little use for (1) when you’re in the air, (2) when you’re in an area with poor (or no) cell service, or (3) if you’re concerned about excessive data use.

Where Dave is, cell data is... sketchy... at best.

I've Apple computers that I sync with an iPhone. That said, I've been lately listening to Amazon Prime music. It's iTunes when I fly though.

I guess you guys aren't using Apple Music the same way that I do. My music, photos, books, etc are in the cloud. I can download an album on my iPhone and access the same album from Apple TV or any other device that's accessing my account. At $15 a month I can download unlimited music. That saves me hundreds of dollars a month from my old CD buying days. I also enjoy Pandora and pay to not have commercials. I have Prime Music, too. Use whatever suits you.

Saturday I stopped by a local brewery to fill a growler. I liked the music they had on so I asked who it was. Dead South. Never heard of them. I had three albums downloaded before my sample beer was gone. And that's how my music collection grows these days.

Some people aren't happy unless they're unhappy, I guess.

Streaming can be marvelous, but is of little use for (1) when you’re in the air, (2) when you’re in an area with poor (or no) cell service, or (3) if you’re concerned about excessive data use.

Where Dave is, cell data is... sketchy... at best.

Good points, all.

We’re out of cell coverage for a “fur piece” of our drive from N GA to E TN and back. For that stretch we have Sirius and downloaded podcasts to listen to. IOW, we’re not suffering and always have something to listen to.

It was a gradual process abandoning owned music and music libraries. When we gave up our hangar in GA, we realized that my wonderful CD collection - about 550 lovingly organized CD’s - had been doing nothing but gathering dust for years. They’re gone now, sold via McKay’s Used Books and CD’s, and after an initial sense of loss, life’s fine without them.

My point was just that moving to a streaming cloud music service has well worked for us. It’s liberating that for the most part our music requires no “management”. But stipulated it’s not for everyone.

Yea Apple and PC has never been a seamless integration and not really intended to be. I went all apple back in 2012ish and couldn’t be happier. Anything I do on one device is transferred to all devices. That said I don’t use ITunes. Nothing against it, I’m just a radio or streaming guy. I use iHeartRadio or Amazon Prime since I already pay for the later and the former is free. I rarely have a desire to hear old songs anyway so downloading or paying for
Music is a non event.

I guess you guys aren't using Apple Music the same way that I do. My music, photos, books, etc are in the cloud. I can download an album on my iPhone and access the same album from Apple TV or any other device that's accessing my account. At $15 a month I can download unlimited music. That saves me hundreds of dollars a month from my old CD buying days. I also enjoy Pandora and pay to not have commercials. I have Prime Music, too. Use whatever suits you.

Saturday I stopped by a local brewery to fill a growler. I liked the music they had on so I asked who it was. Dead South. Never heard of them. I had three albums downloaded before my sample beer was gone. And that's how my music collection grows these days.

I think you're missing the point. There are instances where you just want to be able to pull something up and listen to it. If I've got a commercial flight to catch, I can choose from my library of 10,000 songs to listen to from my phone. No download needed, no cellular data usage needed. For $15/month, you can choose just about ANY streaming service (Apple, Spotify, Amazon, etc.) and it will allow you unlimited streaming and downloads to your phone. Problem is, unless you have an unlimited cellular data plan, or were on wifi, it is a poor substitute. You'd have to download hundreds of albums in order to play them while out of wifi/cell range, which puts you right back to syncing with a personal media library.

iTunes sucks compared to WMP, or any number of other software options. It doesn't play well with some formats, and has become increasingly difficult to use media not specifically purchased through iTunes/Apple.

I also have devices that iTunes doesn't really support. I have an old Phillips MP3 player which is about the size of a the iPod mini, and I use it in an armband for workouts and running. iPods, iPhones, (any smartphone, really) are too bulky to run with, so the Phillips device is perfect. No streaming service available, no secondary data plan needed. Windows media syncs up all of my stuff without issue, where iTunes won't even recognize the mp3 player.

Some of us prefer not to depend on any cloud or similar technology which is nothing more than mass quantities of servers that I don't control.

Really impractical when you want to move bulk quantities.

You can select a group of songs. After adding songs I sort on date, select what I added and that’s it. Syncing fails for me.

There is OEM software out there but I’ve never tried it.

Then pick the one you like. I'm not the one bitching about Apple Music! Mine provides me great service and I listen to it all the time off-line. Sometimes I download a couple of albums while a commercial flight is taxiing out. Fast and easy. I rarely stream from Apple Music. I pick what I want to listen to when I want to listen to it. I stream from Pandora most days when I have cell service and just want something playing in the background.

If you have a service you prefer why not do a thread about it?

I put my itunes stuff also on Google Music. So I can play my songs from my iphone (work) or my android (personal) or my PC. Do you have a Google account? Or do you want to stick with itunes only?

I put my itunes stuff also on Google Music. So I can play my songs from my iphone (work) or my android (personal) or my PC. Do you have a Google account? Or do you want to stick with itunes only?

Not interested in streaming random music, not interested in storing my songs in the cloud.
Neither works for my situation and I have lots of my own storage space.
I would stick with itunes if it worked, but so often it has not.
Looking for an alternative method of having my specific songs on my devices and being able to move them from device to device (win or ios) by cable or flashdrive.
Thanks.

From the very first time I used iTunes many many moons ago I thought it was horrible. Not intuitive at all. Tasks that should be dirt simple were anything but IME.

These days I keep a large library of music in the house on a on a NAS drive. We don't really listen to music much in the house these days so no real need for iTunes or any kind of media server. I have a Win10 machine in my shop and WMP works fine for pulling music from the NAS there.

Oddly I use a macbook pro as my main computer in the house, but my phone is android and transferring music (or any other files) between the two is drag and drop easy peasy. My wife uses a macbook air and an iphone. She hates trying to get music from one to the other. Never say never but I think it will be a very sad day if I ever have to leave android and go to an iphone.

I had the same problem when the wife wanted me to transfer some stuff to her iPad. Same exact problem. crApple's SW didn't work. Not surprised here.
Get away from that pile of sh*t asap. I myself have a $40 Android phone and have no trouble connecting it to any PC.
Anyway, I second the suggestion to use aftermarket apps. Since crApple is utterly incompetent and has no freaking idea how their own sh*t works. *shrug*

I'd look into Spotify. If you can live with commercials, it's free. If you hate commercials and want to use it offline, it's $10/month. Easily set up playlists and no more buying the music.

Back