Life aboard Grand Princess

gkainz

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Kainz
Edit - Grand Princess, not Diamond Princess... just found the Edit Title button ...

I just received an email from a friend who’s stuck aboard the Grand Princess, the cruise ship currently holding off the coast of San Francisco.

He writes “ I just read an on-line article from the LA Times that contained several significant distortions, blatant lies (or otherwise overtly stupid statements).

It included some quotes from what appear to be the typical whiners and complainers from California (some of which we've 'met' while talking balcony to balcony from our state-rooms).

It is apparent that some of the most vocal passengers on this ship have apparently seldom experienced any hardship or adversity in their entitled lives...

The erroneous statements and quotes included:
A woman whose parents are on the ship apparently "tweeted Governor Newsom and VP Pence requesting help in sending the passengers more food". And of course, "I can handle my family in quarantine. I cannot handle them being denied basic necessities." (Apparently her parents didn't get the lobster each night as requested, or perhaps they didn't get staff to put their napkins on their laps).
Of course there was the expected statement from a Napa valley professional victim (ie nitwit): "Any ACLU attorneys out there who can tell us our rights"? who complained that "guests are forced to remain in their rooms and that the food supply had run low". (ABSOLUTE BS!!).
The following are some realities:
While, obviously, we would prefer to be on our original schedules and be home by now, Princess Cruise Lines and the staff of the Grand Princess is doing an outstanding job in dealing with unexpected and highly unusual circumstances
We continue to be given more food that we can possibly consume (which we can "order" from a variety of selections to our personal tastes), and
We remain in accommodations and with supplies of good food and water better than 90% of the worlds population.
In the context of the overall situation, petty whining about trivial matters and telling blatant lies does not help anyone in this situation or their families.

In my view, it would be appropriate to forward the above to/through appropriate media if you feel so inclined.“

Last edited:
When you have to remind yourself you have it better than the starving kids of....wherever, that’s never a good sign lol

I never got the cruise thing, after a few friends who went on a cruise, I really don’t get the appeal. But to each their own.

I just got off a cruise a couple of weeks ago. It was a wine-themed cruise down New Zealand. It was on Azamara which runs smaller ships (600 paying passengers). It's sort of like having a mobile hotel. You don't have to keep packing and unpacking and the food is excellent. We actually docked with the sister ship of the Diamond (the Ruby) in one of our "emergency" ports we hit due to a cyclone in the Tasman sea. We had to scrub our transit to Tasmania because of 12 meter seas but the crew did everything they could to make us happy (and we got some money back).

We had to get screened about Corona virus because we were told we had to answer truthfully a queston about handling birds (we own a parrot, though she never goes outside our house). A person in a bunny suit came up and took our temperature and pulseox twice before we could board. Usually cruise ships are pretty well to handle this because they have been hit hard with Norovirus so they take precautions.

NOBODY is talking about the AIRLINER cases of COVID where the passengers who are infected just get off after their flight and disperse 300 other potential exposures to the public. I got a notice from QANTAS (I'm just returning from Meblourne Australia) that they have had FOUR flights with confirmed corona virus cases (listed even the row number).

Have a cruise scheduled for early June, not likely I’ll be making it.

I was on a cruise the first week of February. It was right when the virus hit the news. We joked that we would need to consume more alcohol and stay in the sun longer so not to get sick. Now my wife's boss is taking us all to Mexico in a few weeks. That has me wondering how things are going to be in regards to air travel and such.

Hopefully they have plenty of T.P.. Should be on land this eve, may be in quarantine though. Yeah, the relatives have a cruise planned out of FL in early April, looking unlikely now. I figure at least a few will have the flu, could cause confusion.

I never got the cruise thing, after a few friends who went on a cruise, I really don’t get the appeal. But to each their own.
I never did either, until we went on one. It's really quite nice. It's even nicer if you spring for a room with a balcony. On our last cruise we lucked into a corner room at the stern of the ship; our balcony was bigger than some of the staterooms. We never really had to go up on deck to relax and tan, if we didn't feel like it. That was really nice. I'm not sure we'll ever go again, though. Now that there's apparently cell service and Internet connectivity most of the time, well, screw that. If I want to hang around a bunch of people staring at their phones all day I'll go drive somewhere.

And in today's news...

Two passengers aboard the Princess have filed $1 million lawsuits.
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/couple-aboard-docked-grand-princess-140828656.html
Cha-ching!! Inconvenience == payday, let the scumbag lawyering begin! And no, I don't think ALL lawyers are scumbags, but you can't deny there are enough that are to go around.

Just got back from our five weeks in NZ and Australia which included a two week "wine cruise" down the coast of NZ. Oddly the hotel room I had in Sydney the night before we flew out to Adelaide was smaller than my ship stateroom.

Just got back from our five weeks in NZ and Australia which included a two week "wine cruise" down the coast of NZ. Oddly the hotel room I had in Sydney the night before we flew out to Adelaide was smaller than my ship stateroom.
My cousin and her husband are on a similar cruise as we speak (type). They were offered a full refund and a flight home, but decided to go ahead. I think they feel safer there than here. Her friends are emailing her all these scary things. I tell her that if you don't watch the news, life is pretty normal. The big city is slightly less crowded, but that's a good thing.

A cruise is responsible for almost all of Iowa's recent increase from zero cases to eight cases. All but one of them were on the same Nile river cruise.

edit, now 13 cases in Iowa. All but one from the same Nile river cruise.

Last edited:
People ridiculed us as we were scheduled to spend three weeks in Australia after the cruise. "Don't you know it is on fire?" people kept telling us. Well it was almost two weeks before we got to some place with actual fire damage (though smoke taint has pretty much wiped out wine production in some regions like the Hunter). Margy says we need to support their recovery and go there. She did bring n95 masks for battling the smoke, but it was long gone by the time we got there. Little did we known that the Corona scare would ensue (and make the masks very valuable).

Life is pretty normal here in Gallup. Except that toilet paper can't be found for sale anywhere in town.....
I went to Safeway on Sunday expecting not to see toilet paper, but the shelves were about half full. No hand sanitizer, though.

To most people, hardship is no wifi or Starbucks making their overpriced coffee wrong. Throw them into a situation that requires them to do something like pee in a bush and they'll have a panic attack. Sure, being stuck onboard a disease incubation chamber is no bueno, they need to realize that they have no choice and the ACLU can do nothing about it. Hopefully any lawsuits will be tossed and the plaintiffs forced to reimburse Princess for their legal fees.

And in today's news...

Two passengers aboard the Princess have filed $1 million lawsuits.
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/couple-aboard-docked-grand-princess-140828656.html
Once they got to port and the news told them how miserable they were...
And no, I don't think ALL lawyers are scumbags, but you can't deny there are enough that are to go around.
All lawyers aren't scumbags, but the ones who are make the other 5% look bad.

I'm wondering when any news agency got it right?

To most people, hardship is no wifi or Starbucks making their overpriced coffee wrong. Throw them into a situation that requires them to do something like pee in a bush and they'll have a panic attack. Sure, being stuck onboard a disease incubation chamber is no bueno, they need to realize that they have no choice and the ACLU can do nothing about it. Hopefully any lawsuits will be tossed and the plaintiffs forced to reimburse Princess for their legal fees.

How many of those people do you think are stuck in rooms without windows? I think I would be pretty well losing my mind in that situation. I can’t blame them for being quite agitated.

How many of those people do you think are stuck in rooms without windows? I think I would be pretty well losing my mind in that situation. I can’t blame them for being quite agitated.
My friends usually get an inside cabin. This time they splurged for adjoining veranda rooms with their relatives. I'm sure they're quite glad they did!

we got word today that friends are stuck aboard some cruise ship off Panama. Anyone heard of this?

We've got a balcony room for our cruise in July. They have my permission to extend my vacation as they see fit. Until they run out of coffee, food and toilet paper, I won't complain.

Hell, all the milk, bread, and toilet paper sells out when we're expecting a few snow flakes.

89776875_681856975688068_4124778937723125760_n-1.png

Life sucks for them in a very 2020 way. All the free wifi and TV they can take. Air conditioned space. Hot and cold running water. Food brought to their room. A bed to sleep in. There are billions of people on the planet who would consider that a huge upgrade.

But these people can't suck it up for a few weeks? Fine, let 'em off the ship. A hundred miles out.

I can't do that here. All we have is cactus and pine needles.... When someone gets cactus needles stuck in a cheek, that's when you find out who your friends really are...

And before a person drops trou.....check for rattle snakes....

One word: Bidet

:)
Another word, rags. Then wash them. Or paper towels, then throw them in the trash or compost. Americans have a pretty low tolerance for the yuck factor. Not a tragedy if you run out of TP.

My friends who've been stuck on the Grand Princess are now on a bus headed to MCAS Miramar ... they don't know for how long...

Back