BAS harness installer

DrBlackrose

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
DrBlackrose
Does anyone know where I can get a set of BAS harnesses installed within a 2 hr flight of CLT? This will be for a Cherokee 140 if that matters. I will most likely need a new headliner after the harness install so a place where I can get both at the same time would be even better.

Does anyone know where I can get a set of BAS harnesses installed within a 2 hr flight of CLT? This will be for a Cherokee 140 if that matters. I will most likely need a new headliner after the harness install so a place where I can get both at the same time would be even better.
The good news is virtually anyone who’s an A&P should be able to install it. It’s a relatively simple job.

The good news is virtually anyone who’s an A&P should be able to install it. It’s a relatively simple job.
Yep even my A&P said he could do one BUT he has never done one yet. I was looking for someone that has done them before and would recommend them because they like the job they did.

Hardest part is making a clean cut in the headliner and MAYBE paint matching a couple screw heads

I had Steve Barbieri of Palmetto Aviation at KLRO (Mt Pleasant, SC - Charleston suburb) put the BAS in my 1969 Arrow last summer. I helped and with two of us, it took about 6 hours because he is absolutely a measure twice, cut once, guy. It was his first installation, but it could not have turned out better. His number is (843) 296-2221‬.

Hardest part is making a clean cut in the headliner and MAYBE paint matching a couple screw heads
My headliner is on its last life and was at one point white and with me replacing a lot of the plastic trim and over head console the ugly headliner has to GO! I want the harnesses installed and the headliner replaced together.

My headliner is on its last life and was at one point white and with me replacing a lot of the plastic trim and over head console the ugly headliner has to GO! I want the harnesses installed and the headliner replaced together.

In that case, minus paint match two screw heads, that’s a super simple install. Has your AP looked at the install instructions? Maybe he thinks there is more to it?

In that case, minus paint match two screw heads, that’s a super simple install. Has your AP looked at the install instructions? Maybe he thinks there is more to it?
When I asked he just stated that he hasnt done a set and add to the fact we all have to move from our airport due to it closing in April. I didnt want to distract from that.

It's not so simple in some airplanes. The attach points are on the aft spar carrythrough, and the bolts must go though some existing rivet holes. The flange of that carrythrough is narrow and the existing holes are already pretty much right at their minimum edge distance, and enlarging the hole violates the edge distance criteria immediately. I had to carefully file the holes back toward the spar a little before drilling them, to keep things with specified limits, then install the brackets. IIRC the instructions cover that.

Of course, some folks aren't so fussy. They just drill things out and install the stuff. I've seen that sort of work. Would it hold in a good hard stop? I don't know.

It's not so simple in some airplanes. The attach points are on the aft spar carrythrough, and the bolts must go though some existing rivet holes. The flange of that carrythrough is narrow and the existing holes are already pretty much right at their minimum edge distance, and enlarging the hole violates the edge distance criteria immediately. I had to carefully file the holes back toward the spar a little before drilling them, to keep things with specified limits, then install the brackets. IIRC the instructions cover that.

Of course, some folks aren't so fussy. They just drill things out and install the stuff. I've seen that sort of work. Would it hold in a good hard stop? I don't know.
This is exactly why I want someone who has done this install!

I had BAS restraints installed in my C172 a few years back. The A&P had never installed them before, but he read, and followed, the instructions carefully. The installation was well done.

Last month I had BAS restraints installed in my new-to-me Cherokee. The previous A&P was gone. The senior A&P said he'd installed them before, no problem. He installed one, then left the FBO for another job. The junior A&P installed the other restraint. Neither looked correctly installed, so I told the A&P to read the instructions and reinstall them. It's amazing how well the installation can be accomplished if you read the instructions. BTW: I found several videos on installing the BAS restraints as well. Lots of good resources for an A&P who isn't too cocky.

I had a set installed by my A&P on an older 172 . No problems came out great.

My wife and I installed ours on the 172 in 2 hours last night. Why don't you do it with your A&P? Takes 2 people anyways.

BAS harnesses are ordered and my normal A&P is going to do it so let's see how this turns out!:D

BAS harnesses are ordered and my normal A&P is going to do it so let's see how this turns out!:D
Have you had these installed yet? I’m recently relocated from the same airport and looking to have them installed in my Debonair. Did you use the A&P from that airport?

Have you had these installed yet? I’m recently relocated from the same airport and looking to have them installed in my Debonair. Did you use the A&P from that airport?
No I have not. I am waiting on the harnesses to arrive. I had a non standard color ordered and they take 4 to 5 weeks. My A&P said he would do it no problem but I will need a new headliner as well so I may have it done at Mid Carolina. I would like both done at the same time depending on price quote from Mid Carolina.

The "best" installer was "Bud" Blancher (RIP)

bud.jpg

I just received a quote to have harnesses installed along with new headliner. This is to paint everything from the bottom of the windows up to the headliner with a new headliner fabric. This is also to install the harnesses. The quote was for $4500. Is this a fair price?

I just received a quote to have harnesses installed along with new headliner. This is to paint everything from the bottom of the windows up to the headliner with a new headliner fabric. This is also to install the harnesses. The quote was for $4500. Is this a fair price?
Hard to judge without the line items being broken out.

Back