Best Aircraft for Commercial SEL

I have not flown any of the specific aircraft under consideration. I'm finishing up my instrument rating in a 172S with a G5 HSI and GTN650 and have flown 172N models in the past. That particular flight school only has the G1000 172, so in all likelihood I'll be moving on for my commercial.

Where do you fly out of in MA? I got my private at KPYM.

If you have more than 10 hours in the 172S (and it has an autopilot), then you have met the TTA requirements.
If I were you,I would focus on flying everything I can. You just need hours, I would start with a complex endorsement since they are available, then I would try to find a cheap tailwheel like a Champ, Vagabond or a Chief, and get a tailwheel endorsement and fly the tailwheel as much as possible. Possibly consider getting a glider rating.

When I hit 250 hours, I would then train in a 172, since there are multiple 172s available and one going down for maintenance would not force me to get used to another plane for my checkride.

If you have more than 10 hours in the 172S (and it has an autopilot), then you have met the TTA requirements.
If I were you,I would focus on flying everything I can. You just need hours, I would start with a complex endorsement since they are available, then I would try to find a cheap tailwheel like a Champ, Vagabond or a Chief, and get a tailwheel endorsement and fly the tailwheel as much as possible. Possibly consider getting a glider rating.

When I hit 250 hours, I would then train in a 172, since there are multiple 172s available and one going down for maintenance would not force me to get used to another plane for my checkride.

Unfortunately the 172S does not have an autopilot.

Tailwheel endorsement is on my short list, but there do not appear to be any cheap options in my area.

If money is no object, but you are looking to gain ratings as fast as possible. Just get the complex time in a twin while you get training for your multi add-on. The take Commercial ASEL and AMEL on the same day.

FAR 61.129(j) says the autopilot has to be 2-axis and "integrated with the navigation and heading guidance system" (whatever that means) to be TAA.

If money is no object, but you are looking to gain ratings as fast as possible. Just get the complex time in a twin while you get training for your multi add-on. The take Commercial ASEL and AMEL on the same day.

A bit ambitious. Money isn't necessarily an object, however I'd like to be reasonable in pursuit of the ratings. Have yet to actually define what reasonable is.

Are you aware of any tailwheel options in the ATL area?

I have not flown any of the specific aircraft under consideration. I'm finishing up my instrument rating in a 172S with a G5 HSI and GTN650 and have flown 172N models in the past. That particular flight school only has the G1000 172, so in all likelihood I'll be moving on for my commercial.

Where do you fly out of in MA? I got my private at KPYM.

6B6! Been to PYM many times.

I'm looking at the Comm SEL as well. There is a debate at the school I'm training at regarding whether dual time logged during the instrument training counts for the 10 hours needed for the commercial (this seems to cover it but that's not the point of my post https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...8/Oord-AOPA - (2018) Legal Interpretation.pdf)

Just in case, I'm basically doing the 10 hours in a TAA focused on instrument dual so I can check both boxes, then transitioning to a lower cost plane for the maneuvers and checkride.

There is a debate at the school I'm training at regarding whether dual time logged during the instrument training counts for the 10 hours needed for the commercial
Why do so many flight school debates involve things that have been clearly defined by the FAA? :rolleyes:
I'm basically doing the 10 hours in a TAA focused on instrument dual so I can check both boxes, then transitioning to a lower cost plane for the maneuvers and checkride.
How much instruction are you anticipating you’ll need for the maneuvers? The sum total of my commercial training was 10 hours, all of which was in the complex airplane, and included 4 hours of instrument instruction that I needed to make up the ten (I wasn’t instrument rated).

Why do so many flight school debates involve things that have been clearly defined by the FAA? :rolleyes:

How much instruction are you anticipating you’ll need for the maneuvers? The sum total of my commercial training was 10 hours, all of which was in the complex airplane, and included 4 hours of instrument instruction that I needed to make up the ten (I wasn’t instrument rated).

The debate stems from the memo I linked: https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...8/Oord-AOPA - (2018) Legal Interpretation.pdf

Exactly...the subject has been clearly defined by the FAA within that legal interpretation. If your instructor can’t determine whether your instrument instruction meets the requirements or not, find another instructor. If he says your instrument instruction didn’t cover all of the items listed, and you need ten hours of instrument instruction, find another instructor...the specific maneuver requirements of 61.129(a)(3)(I) can be accomplished in under an hour, and I assume that since you have an instrument rating, you have at least 15 hours of instrument instruction, which by my math is more than the 10 required.

Last edited:
Do the test in the plane you fly the best. Get the Complex/TAA time in whatever is the most cost effective or available.

I don’t get the glass thing, it’s all the same info just in a different place, in many ways it’s easier than a six pack

Under the new regs, you can get your 10 hours in that.

Remember Warriors and Skyhawks only work if they’re “Technically Advanced Aircraft”, or TAA. In other words, they have advanced glass that meets the TAA requirement.

Otherwise you’ll need something the gear goes up and down in.

(This is why the OP mentioned TAA and what avionics his options had.)

Only for the 10 hours

FAR 61.129(j) says the autopilot has to be 2-axis and "integrated with the navigation and heading guidance system" (whatever that means) to be TAA.

Yeah, so an STEC30 with GPSS and heading mode. It basically needs altitude hold.

I plan to get 10 hours of training in an arrow, and do the rest in a non-complex non-taa non-turbine aircraft.
Exactly! I did my required complex time in an Arrow but when it came to the rest of the training and check-ride, I did it in a C150. Why make things harder with a bunch of fiddly knobs and levers?

Yeah, so an STEC30 with GPSS and heading mode. It basically needs altitude hold.

I couldn't tell exactly what you were saying there, so just verifying that the STEC30 does have altitude hold.

I
Trying to plan ahead for my SEL Commercial. The flight schools/flying clubs in my area have the below aircraft available. The majority of my time is in steam gauge 152s and 172s.

If cost isn’t a factor, what aircraft should I just use? Is it worth it to get G1000 experience or to have some familiarity with complex and/or high performance? Or should I just go with the cheapest option?

C-182RG, C-172N (TAA - Dual G5s & GFC500), C-172S (TAA - G1000/GFC700), or Piper Arrow?[/QUOTE)

I liked the Arrow for my Commercial and CFI-A

Back