Reverse Jack To Pull Tail Down

Dunno. These heads were for one cylinder each. Did the two-cylinder tractors have separate cylinder heads?

Or maybe they were from big single-cylinder hit-and-miss engines used in elevators and such. Big, they were.

Here's a John Deere model A head, obviously for two cylinders:

wm_A587R.jpg

Bore was 5.5" so you can estimate the size from that.

I presume you mean grain elevator. I can hardly imagine a hotel elevator running on a hit-and-miss engine!

so split the difference....

place half the amount of weight on the horizontal stab that it takes to lift a nose off the ground, using soft, flat sand bags to spread the weight out. then pull the tail down with the tie-down ring.

sounds like the best of both worlds to me....

Here's a John Deere model A head, obviously for two cylinders:

wm_A587R.jpg

Bore was 5.5" so you can estimate the size from that.

I presume you mean grain elevator. I can hardly imagine a hotel elevator running on a hit-and-miss engine!

Yup, grain elevator. This was on the prairies, but all the pics of those old engines I can find show them with round heads. These heads I had were square.
The bore was bigger than 5.5". Couldn't have been a Deere engine, then. Might have come off an old diesel electric generator like this:

serveimage

I was going to suggest 2 Victorias Secret models...one sitting on each side of the horizontal..but that would be sexist...do not do that.

Hey guys, have you ever accidentally overloaded your plane so that you were too near the aft cg limit. Well then, put some of those heavy bags or buckets in the rear of the baggage area until the nose lightens up. It should be easier to get to an aft cg since no pilot, copilot or passengers are occupying those forward seats. Make sure the tail skid has something soft and not injurious to land on when it falls back. If you’re worried about focal stress on the baggage floor, use a piece of plywood underneath the ballast to even out the load stress on any particular area. You may need to put some additional weight on the rear aft seats.

Last edited:
Back