Oshkosh 2020

I love the North 40 showers. This year I will be camping in Scholler with the travel trailer.
Which North 40 showers? I found out there are two sets. The ones we stayed by sucked. The walls didn't go all the way to the floor, so you were getting sprayed from other people showering. The worst part though was the kitchen sprayer for a shower head. You had to hold the button down with your thumb the whole time you were showering! I much prefer the shower trailers in Vintage. Got stuck in North 40 because Vintage was flooded.

Which North 40 showers? I found out there are two sets. The ones we stayed by sucked. The walls didn't go all the way to the floor, so you were getting sprayed from other people showering. The worst part though was the kitchen sprayer for a shower head. You had to hold the button down with your thumb the whole time you were showering! I much prefer the shower trailers in Vintage. Got stuck in North 40 because Vintage was flooded.
The shower trailers are pretty fantastic. What's not so fantastic is having to stand in the cold around back to shave and brush my teeth at the sinks covered in dead bugs. I mean don't get me wrong this is still far better than roughing it but if I had a nit to pick that's where I would like to see an upgrade.

The shower trailers are pretty fantastic. What's not so fantastic is having to stand in the cold around back to shave and brush my teeth at the sinks covered in dead bugs. I mean don't get me wrong this is still far better than roughing it but if I had a nit to pick that's where I would like to see an upgrade.
I stay in the shower! I shave my head, so I just shower, shave, and brush my teeth in the shower. I have to get up really early for EAA, so nobody is waiting in line for me to get out. I have a cool little shower mirror I bought off of Amazon.

I stay in the shower! I shave my head, so I just shower, shave, and brush my teeth in the shower. I have to get up really early for EAA, so nobody is waiting in line for me to get out. I have a cool little shower mirror I bought off of Amazon.

I've thought of that but figured it would fog up too easily. Maybe i'll give that a try this year. I am usually up before the crowds as well.

After camping in HBC for the past 5 years, and a couple of years before that in Scholler, this year we are ditching the tent for an RV in Sleepy Hollow. My guess is once we make this switch and spend the week in the trailer, our tent camping days at Osh will be officially over.

After camping in HBC for the past 5 years, and a couple of years before that in Scholler, this year we are ditching the tent for an RV in Sleepy Hollow. My guess is once we make this switch and spend the week in the trailer, our tent camping days at Osh will be officially over.
You will love it! How did you manage to get a spot?!? Dad and I stayed there one year when we drove his RV up but the last couple of years the spots were sold out before they went on sale. Really expensive but it is really nice coming back to a heated/cooled comfy bed and cabinets full of treats. They will also take you to the gate on their golf cart if you don't want to walk. There is a trail through the woods to get over to the Scholler and the flyin movie.

You will love it! How did you manage to get a spot?!? Dad and I stayed there one year when we drove his RV up but the last couple of years the spots were sold out before they went on sale. Really expensive but it is really nice coming back to a heated/cooled comfy bed and cabinets full of treats. They will also take you to the gate on their golf cart if you don't want to walk. There is a trail through the woods to get over to the Scholler and the flyin movie.

We primed the pump last year and got on the reservation list while we were there. Plus we had a good word put in on our behalf by a group (3-4 trailers) who stay there year after year. Don't know if that was the clincher but it didn't hurt.

The big shower building along the south side road. They had private shower rooms on the northside of the building.

Man I thought the N40 showers were amazing--always clean, good temp and enough pressure from the kitchen sprayer head to take your skin off.

Technically, we have always found someplace to put a Vintage aircraft that makes it to the ground. Alas, the airport may close if the backlog on the rest of the infrastructure gets too bad.

Covid-19 will cancel Airventure. :stirpot:

Nooooo!!! I'm hoping that the show starts, and then we all get quarantined on the field and can't leave. :D

The South 40 is really the only place I wouldn’t want to be. The N40 is like it’s own town. VAC and HBC are the prime locations though. If they really want to cut down on traffic in the grounds they need to target the “VIP” golf carts and vehicles that parade around the main show line hauling their precious cargo.

They made a big reduction in that several years ago already after complaints. That's when they made the inner "no-cart" zone (unless you have the super duper double secret pass) and added a cart road around the perimeter. Unfortunately, then people started walking in the cart path, despite booths facing away from it!

If you are getting run over by too many carts - Check and see if you're walking on the cart path. It's the same one the trams use from the spot near the control tower down around to the south end of the exhibit hangars.

If they really want to cut down on traffic in the grounds they need to target the “VIP” golf carts and vehicles that parade around the main show line hauling their precious cargo.
I got to haul Stan Lee around once... pretty precious cargo to me! I have a cart most of the time I'm there, but I'm working for EAA and I get to go across the flight line. Any chance I get, I'm out there, away from the crowd. Trying to get through the crowd in a hurry is a recipe for disaster!

Rubber bands/Clothes pin. Just saying.
68425557_10157288181456007_8382618324508344320_o.jpg

I agree the carts and vehicles were supper annoying. Wish I could ride by bike around so I didn't have to walk everywhere. Would much prefer to ride my bike than take a tram.

eliminating Blue lot and moving the parking essentially off-site is going to cause all sorts of grief. Maybe they could just take the north half of the Blue lot.
Looks like EAA has finally figured out how to cut SOS Brothers out of parking revenue... and how do you get to the private campgrounds along Waukau? Hmmm...

Looks like EAA has finally figured out how to cut SOS Brothers out of parking revenue... and how do you get to the private campgrounds along Waukau? Hmmm...

I don't follow. The new parking changes don't affect public access along the length of Waukau Ave. IOW there are no changes to being able to access Sleepy Hollow or the SOS Bros parking lot. What am I missing?

well they kicked the pirates of the N40 out two years ago...

well they kicked the pirates of the N40 out two years ago...

I think they are in Vintage now - at least the was a pirate setup there last year but I'm not sure it's the same group.

The pirates in Vintage have been there for a long time. I don't think they are affiliated with any other group.

The pirates of the n40 are being bumped around due to the extension of the taxiway. We've been separated into N40 slots when we show up. Hoping to get back to a dedicated area this year.

I second @catmandu 's statement. I'm just going to go ahead and predict Osh 2020 will be cancelled, probably in the next month. E3, sporting events, Disney, Major Conferences hell even game shows have all either cancelled events, scaled back or gone to no audience events. Any major gathering with a large enough amount of people is just a breeding ground for COVID-19 and I'm betting the sponsors of the event aren't gamblers. Time will tell.

Oh and there's this, Osh already cancelling spring break stuff...

I second @catmandu 's statement. I'm just going to go ahead and predict Osh 2020 will be cancelled, probably in the next month. E3, sporting events, Disney, Major Conferences hell even game shows have all either cancelled events, scaled back or gone to no audience events. Any major gathering with a large enough amount of people is just a breeding ground for COVID-19 and I'm betting the sponsors of the event aren't gamblers. Time will tell.

We'll see. Right now Sun"n Fun is a go so if it goes off without any issues AirVenture most likely will too.

I reached out to EAA and they stated "As of this writing AirVenture is stilling on as planned. The situation is fluid and we will update in due course as needed." So, right now yes? Maybe no later?

And yes, the misspelling is intentional, that was their exact statement lol.

The new parking changes don't affect public access along the length of Waukau Ave. IOW there are no changes to being able to access Sleepy Hollow or the SOS Bros parking lot. What am I missing?

We don't know that... there will be a big congestion problem if folks blindly drive down Waukau expecting to park in the former Blue Lot. They can't continue to exit via the loop, that's one way inbound now... The EAA would be wise to only allow authorized folks onto Waikau... handicapped, and those with a letter/pass from Sleepy Hollow... EAA may not cooperate with SOS, or even if they do, minimally. How many SOS parkers would bother or know to get a pass in advance?

We don't know that... there will be a big congestion problem if folks blindly drive down Waukau expecting to park in the former Blue Lot. They can't continue to exit via the loop, that's one way inbound now... The EAA would be wise to only allow authorized folks onto Waikau... handicapped, and those with a letter/pass from Sleepy Hollow... EAA may not cooperate with SOS, or even if they do, minimally. How many SOS parkers would bother or know to get a pass in advance?

EAA can't block access to private property whether it be SOS, Sleepy Hollow, or one of the half dozen houses on Waukau. I standby by my opinion that this won't affect travel on Waukau.

EAA can't block access to private property whether it be SOS, Sleepy Hollow, or one of the half dozen houses on Waukau. I standby by my opinion that this won't affect travel on Waukau.
Sure they can... they do it every year. The folks that live near the graveyard?

We'll see. Right now Sun"n Fun is a go so if it goes off without any issues AirVenture most likely will too.
Actually, Sun'n'Fun is now tentatively postponed until May 5-10, with a final decision no later than April 17.

Sure they can... they do it every year. The folks that live near the graveyard?

They put up cones to direct traffic but access isn't blocked. There's full access up and down the length of Waukau.

Reading the shower comments... man, you guys are picky. It's Oshkosh/AirVenture; I would gladly put up with a shower bag in return for all the fun and excitement!
My bigger worry is whether it'll happen this year or not. I sure hope so - fingers crossed!

- Martin

I have decided to believe that AirVenture is on... and dammit, I am going to have a blast planning for it...; )
Last year I was deprived of actually flying into OSH due to weather related delays in spite of hours of planning and Youtube video watching. I ended up landing and camping overnight at Fond du Lac -- which was great actually. Next morning I took a bus to OSH, but, within the first half hour of entering the OSH grounds my wife called to tell me that my oldest son was possibly entering the hospital with a heart condition. I flew back to Connecticut the following morning leaving FDL at 5:45 AM. Son never did go into the hospital thank God. The flying was amazing, made it home in 7 hours.
So, OSH (via Fisk) or bust 2020 y'all !!

I bought an AirVenture 2020 t-shirt. EAA's 2020 budget will get slammed if AV doesn't happen, so maybe my one little $20 t-shirt will help them get rid of some of the 2020 inventory.

I bought an AirVenture 2020 t-shirt. EAA's 2020 budget will get slammed if AV doesn't happen.
If Air Venture does happen and ticket sales go in the toilet the hit to their budget will be even worse.

I’ve started the ForeFlight planning and I pressed the “all clear” button in the “virus forecast window”.
So, the only thing negative to ponder re the 2020 show is flooding and the dreaded mosquitoes at night.

Odds are I'm going to scrub this year. I'm not going to a gathering with 50,000 people when a highly infectious virus that could easily kill my spouse is on the loose. There would have to be a really good treatment, or the virus would have had to have waned considerably. I see neither happening in that time frame.

I'm on the committee of another event that's scheduled for late October. We're not sure we're going to make that. Not only is the fact we may still be under restrictions at that point, we also fear that many people would opt like Steingar to forgo being cooped up with 600 other people in hotel conference rooms for five days or so.

Back