P2M Aircraft Diesel Engines

I call BS. If for no other reason than when I see incorrect information about the most basic specs, then everything becomes suspect.

e.g. They show the Continental TSIO550 running on 80/87 octane. They also show it using 24GPH. Not exactly realistic numbers.

Under "Who's using our engines", they show the Raptor and a few other aircraft which aren't running the engine. So it's really a "Who COULD use or engine".

The spec's on the engine are enticing though. Who wouldn't want 400hp with less weight than a TSIO550 and be able to burn Jet-A?

I stand (partially) corrected.

I just heard back from them. They say that they are shipping engines. 8 month lead time for the 400hp engine at a cost of (sit down) $125,000.

I just heard back from them. They say that they are shipping engines. 8 month lead time for the 400hp engine at a cost of (sit down) $125,000.
That just means they check their email. It doesn’t mean that they have manufactured an airworthy power plant. Their site lists a few types of planes. I can’t find any evidence of any actual planes having one of these engines mounted on it, much less taking off under its own power.

I saw some references to a possible appearance at Oshkosh 2019. Did anyone see these engines there?

Which is why I said "partially".

I did request a number of units currently flying and total hours.

I call BS. If for no other reason than when I see incorrect information about the most basic specs, then everything becomes suspect.

e.g. They show the Continental TSIO550 running on 80/87 octane. They also show it using 24GPH. Not exactly realistic numbers.

Under "Who's using our engines", they show the Raptor and a few other aircraft which aren't running the engine. So it's really a "Who COULD use or engine".

The spec's on the engine are enticing though. Who wouldn't want 400hp with less weight than a TSIO550 and be able to burn Jet-A?
That 400 hp is only for five minutes. I wanna see this, as it's nearly twice the power of the Austro units, and about the same weight. Imagine a pair on a DA62.
Edit: the 400 hp is a hybrid unit, and I'll bet that enough battery to get you safely to the ground would be quite weighty.

Screw the battery. 9-10GPH would give my plane 9 hours of endurance and a range of 1,800nm. So I'll leave the batteries on the ground.

I did notice that pricing.
The 300HP version is on par with a new TSIO-550.
So not totally unreasonable, but still pricey.

How much avgas can you buy for $125,000?

Just asking...
It’s not unreasonable.
If I were building any high performance experimental, I’d probably look at the 300hp version as a viable replacement for the TSIO-550.
That costs about the same at $70k.
Then if you put 1000 hrs on it, burning 10gph less, that’s at least $50K in fuel savings.

It’s not unreasonable.
If I were building any high performance experimental, I’d probably look at the 300hp version as a viable replacement for the TSIO-550.
That costs about the same at $70k.
Then if you put 1000 hrs on it, burning 10gph less, that’s at least $50K in fuel savings.

I can see one significant difference. If you give that money to Continental, you'll get an aero engine. If you give that money to these guys, I suspect the only thing you'll get are excuses.

Their last blog post was in 2017. What makes you think this is real?

How’d the new diesel thing work for those twin diamonds?

It's just as I suspected.

I requested total installed JPE04 engines and total fleet hours along with what make/model of GA aircraft they are installed in.

"We have 35 engines installed on Military UAV for > 2000 flt/hrs and on GA Aircraft in Canada, India"

So that's an average of 60 hours per engine. Something tells me that they will not be providing any further (hard) data.

The Raptor guy should team up with these guys. :p

Hasn’t EPS been working on this for years? And they still don’t have any flying examples.

How’d the new diesel thing work for those twin diamonds?
Since Diamond created Austro Engines, the answer is: very well. There are a lot of folks who claim that the engines are maintenance hogs, but for some reason, I can't find any actual evidence of that.

Since Diamond created Austro Engines, the answer is: very well. There are a lot of folks who claim that the engines are maintenance hogs, but for some reason, I can't find any actual evidence of that.

You aren't looking very hard then. There's several detailed posts on threads on this forum about this. Including one from a PoAer who posted a friend of his was selling his twin Diamond. Loved the airplane, couldn't stand the downtime and ever escalating bills.

The issues aren't with the core of the engine. It's the automotive grade accessories on the engine that are the main failure modes. They just aren't yet robust enough.

Here's the latest:

Of the "2,000 hours", those have been on the engine stand and 4 GA aircraft.

The rest of the engines (number unknown) are on UAV's and they have no knowledge as to the number of hours flown.

Back