Coliseum Route --- So.Cal.

Ed Sokol

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Love2Fly
Anybody fly it lately?

I'm planning a flight from KCRQ-PRB. Due to the high terrain at the North end of it, Seems like the way to go since Northbound transition thru it is 9,500.

Thanks

Ed

I haven't flown VFR through that area in years, so I can't be too helpful.

But maybe this is helpful: https://www.lawa.org/-/media/lawa-w...cfrpart150_finalnemreport_lax-appendix-h.ashx

"The Coliseum Route takes VFR aircraft northwest to southeast and vice-versa from Van Nuys to Miles Square Park at altitudes between 8,500 and 9,500 feet MSL east of LAX over the L.A. Coliseum. This route may not be available when LAX is in its east flow operation."

But maybe this is helpful: https://www.lawa.org/-/media/lawa-w...cfrpart150_finalnemreport_lax-appendix-h.ashx

"The Coliseum Route takes VFR aircraft northwest to southeast and vice-versa from Van Nuys to Miles Square Park at altitudes between 8,500 and 9,500 feet MSL east of LAX over the L.A. Coliseum. This route may not be available when LAX is in its east flow operation."

Thanks. Appreciate the info.

They may give you the Hollywood Park Route. I’ve been denied the Coliseum Route a few times. Just be prepared for both But they’ll ask you pretty far out “how do you intend to navigate the LA airspace”. I have however been vectored to join the transition like an airway or localizer so just have your GPS waypoints and VOR radial set up/ready to rock if you have them.

I've had no issues getting the Coastal Route going between KSMX and KMFY in either direction but haven't tried for the Coliseum. Coastal usually a couple of minutes quicker than the Coliseum Route in planning. As mentioned SOCAL will ask how you intend to navigate the Bravo airspace prior to entering.

Anybody fly it lately?

I'm planning a flight from KCRQ-PRB. Due to the high terrain at the North end of it, Seems like the way to go since Northbound transition thru it is 9,500.

Thanks

Ed

A few times, last two years ago. Nothing to it. Request it, get it, fly it.

If you're instrument rated, file IFR and they'll take you right over LAX, usually SLI-POPPR-SMO.

For KPRB, I'd use the Coastal Route at 6500. Once past LAX VOR, if there isn't anyone on the IRNMN as you are passing through, you're reasonably likely to get own nav. 124.1/128.1 will ask you how you want to transit, but either 127.2 or 134.9 will clear you.

Anybody fly it lately?

Thanks

Ed

Actually, the northbound Colosseum and Hollywood Park routes are 8500, as you are generally westbound. You go 9500 on the way back South. They are keeping you above LAX arrivals that are between 7000-8000. Hollywood Park is workable when LAX is east flow, but I think Colosseum is not.

They may give you the Hollywood Park Route. I’ve been denied the Coliseum Route a few times. Just be prepared for both But they’ll ask you pretty far out “how do you intend to navigate the LA airspace”. I have however been vectored to join the transition like an airway or localizer so just have your GPS waypoints and VOR radial set up/ready to rock if you have them.

I nearly always get own navigation to join and join at the appropriate point.

If you're instrument rated, file IFR and they'll take you right over LAX, usually SLI-POPPR-SMO.

To PRB? There might be MVA issues there over RZS.

Just cancel once through the bravo. IFR in the L.A. basin is easier, IMO. He can also run the SFRA which is nice and easy.

Just cancel once through the bravo. IFR in the L.A. basin is easier, IMO. He can also run the SFRA which is nice and easy.

I nearly always fly IFR, but 1) I don't agree that IFR is easier (or harder) and 2) the OP is VFR only.

For KPRB, I'd use the Coastal Route at 6500. Once past LAX VOR, if there isn't anyone on the IRNMN as you are passing through, you're reasonably likely to get own nav. 124.1/128.1 will ask you how you want to transit, but either 127.2 or 134.9 will clear you.

Actually, the northbound Colosseum and Hollywood Park routes are 8500, as you are generally westbound. You go 9500 on the way back South. They are keeping you above LAX arrivals that are between 7000-8000. Hollywood Park is workable when LAX is east flow, but I think Colosseum is not.

I nearly always get own navigation to join and join at the appropriate point.

northbound Colosseum and Hollywood Park routes are 8500

Yes, your right. Thanks for catching that. I have not put the plan on paper yet and it was a quick guess on the direction.

I appreciate that.

Last edited:
Coastal route and Hollywood park are what I ask for and I never get denied. I’m always going to SNA.

Point taken. Thanks

northbound Colosseum and Hollywood Park routes are 8500

Yes, your right. Thanks for catching that. I have not put the plan on paper yet and it was a quick guess on the direction.

I appreciate that.

California's geographical orientation is deceiving. You can easily travel west from a coastal city to an inland one. KSAN-KSMF is a 330 heading direct.

Didn't do the Coliseum route but I did the LA SFRA crossing. It takes you right over LAX at 3500 or 4500 (depending on the way you are going), uncontrolled. There was only one other aircraft on the advisory freq and I found it a pretty easy way to do this.

If I'm not stopping in the LA basin I always just go over the top of their airspace. If I'm stopping in LA I use the special flight rules transition. I call them up when I'm going over, but I rarely get vectored around when I'm above 10K.

Back