Buffalo, NY - Recommend GA Friendly Airport?

455 Bravo Uniform

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
455 Bravo Uniform
I have business to do in Toronto and considering flying to Buffalo, renting a car, and driving across.

Needs:
-Enterprise or National car rentals
-Secure/safe for the plane for 3 days

Coming from west, passing Cleveland and Erie on my way. I don’t mind driving a ways to Toronto.

I have business to do in Toronto and considering flying to Buffalo, renting a car, and driving across.

Needs:
-Enterprise or National car rentals
-Secure/safe for the plane for 3 days

Coming from west, passing Cleveland and Erie on my way. I don’t mind driving a ways to Toronto.
I've had good experience at Niagara (IAG). Rental cars, reasonable fuel, decent service, didn't cost and arm and a leg.

Why not just fly to Toronto? What you save on fees, you might easily make up in lost time, rental costs, gas etc

Why not just fly to Toronto? What you save on fees, you might easily make up in lost time, rental costs, gas etc

Just figured it’d be easier to cross by car than deal with airport of entry, decals, calls, etc. maybe not, but since I’ve never done it by GA, the learning curve is time consuming. I need the car anyway, and company pays the fuel. But, just for info, what all do I need to do (besides google)?

Buffalo (KBUF) is fine, too, but KIAG is closer to Toronto. I used KBUF for a quick turn dropping off someone to stay with someone at Roswell. Very friendly service, and no charge with a fuel fillip. That was a few years ago.

Just figured it’d be easier to cross by car than deal with airport of entry, decals, calls, etc. maybe not, but since I’ve never done it by GA, the learning curve is time consuming. I need the car anyway, and company pays the fuel. But, just for info, what all do I need to do (besides google)?
Basic Med not accepted in Canada. Otherwise, all you need is the radio license, which is trivial.

https://www.aopa.org/travel/interna...icenses-and-pilot-radio-operator-certificates

https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau...ion/aviation-radio-services/aircraft-stations

I agree with IAG. It’s got a good GA FBO on the field. Rented an archer from them a few years ago to take my aunt on a scenic tour. If you have time, plan for high tea at the Royal York hotel in Toronto.

IAG will save you 20-30 minutes, easily, over BUF.

YTZ will save even more time, if you decide to cross the border.

I’ve found clearing via GA less of a pain then sitting forever in a car and talking to the dumb rookie, seems with the plane the folks who meet you have their egos slightly more in check.

I’ve found clearing via GA less of a pain then sitting forever in a car and talking to the dumb rookie, seems with the plane the folks who meet you have their egos slightly more in check.

I've also waited nearly 45 minutes in my plane for U.S. customs to show up, so it goes both ways.

I've also waited nearly 45 minutes in my plane for U.S. customs to show up, so it goes both ways.
Fly into IAG. Yes too many hassles to fly direct unless very motivated. Just before I got my Basic Med, I was motivated to get to Alaska and did everything to get the customs sticker, radio licenses and registration in order but the biggest hassle was choreographing the customs stops back into the US. Canada customs was easy in comparison.

Fly into IAG. Yes too many hassles to fly direct unless very motivated. Just before I got my Basic Med, I was motivated to get to Alaska and did everything to get the customs sticker, radio licenses and registration in order but the biggest hassle was choreographing the customs stops back into the US. Canada customs was easy in comparison.
Agreed, If he was just hitting downtown Toronto, didn't need a car, and had a medical, sure pony up the extra $17 Canadian ATC fee, $29 customs sticker, file eapis and go for it. But if you need a car anyway landing on the U.S of the border and driving in doesn't add that much aggravation. I've done the same with Montreal, using Plattsburgh.

Dumb question, will @455 Bravo Uniform's rental car still be insured if he rents in the US and crosses into Canada? I have heard rental policies (here) dont cover travel into Mexico..but maybe that's for the obvious reasons.

I would also think 100LL is significantly cheaper in the US.

Be sure the rental car company is OK with cross-border travel? Probably all SOP for any agency that close to the border anyway.

Edit: Ooops, Sinistar beat me to it!

Looks like others above me covered what you’d need to cross. And yeah if you need a car anyways, then I guess it’s less of a disadvantage to drive.

Maybe GA, but I've found the road bridge US people to be about the same level of jerk as the airoprts, while the Canadian road bridge people are MUCH nicer than airports.

Dumb question, will @455 Bravo Uniform's rental car still be insured if he rents in the US and crosses into Canada? I have heard rental policies (here) dont cover travel into Mexico..but maybe that's for the obvious reasons.

I would also think 100LL is significantly cheaper in the US.

1) Yes, rental companies all include Canada in their allowed countries. The car is covered. Your own insurance will cover you in Canada too.

2) Not so about 100LL. If the OP goes to CYTZ, and pays some of the highest 100LL prices in Canada, they'll be paying less than at KBUF and slightly more than KIAG. About $6.12 a gallon at current rates. If they go to another airport, it could be less

Maybe GA, but I've found the road bridge US people to be about the same level of jerk as the airoprts, while the Canadian road bridge people are MUCH nicer than airports.

1) Yes, rental companies all include Canada in their allowed countries. The car is covered. Your own insurance will cover you in Canada too.

2) Not so about 100LL. If the OP goes to CYTZ, and pays some of the highest 100LL prices in Canada, they'll be paying less than at KBUF and slightly more than KIAG. About $6.12 a gallon at current rates. If they go to another airport, it could be less

But I can give it right back to the US ones as they have to let me in, Canada not so much lol

First my rant. You guys ( meaning your countries multi border protection agencies) have instituted onerous requirements for transborder crossing in GA aircraft. So much for your “ freedom to fly”
Yes the 35 dollar-ish annual CBP sticker is a pia. EAPIS is so much nonsense ( as a customs visit is mandatory any how)
Rant off
I fly all over North America with my little airplane. Thats the reason for flying. Putting up with the regulations is part of the experience.
I suggest that you fly to your intended destination and take advantage of your airplane’s resources.
You don’t have to land in Toronto CYTZ or CYYZ- these are definitely not good choices) plenty of GA friendly airports nearby. CYSN , St. Catharines(- customs available ) It’s not that much closer toToronto ( just across the border from KIAG) but is friendly and you avoid the horrible border crossing line ups at the various bridges. This truly is enough reason to fly across.
If you sign up for CANPASS you then have many more airports at your disposal. Easy process , inexpensive, good for 5 years and easy customs . no stickers, no paperwork available 24/7 - very civilized.
Other nearby airports:
CYYM - Hamilton.customs avail. Controlled airportLanding fees.parking Pricey fuel . only 30 minutes to Toronto
CYBA - Burlington.Uncontrolled CANPASS req’d. Friendly , no fees. 25 min to Toronto
CNC3- Brampton- uncontrolled- Canpass req’d, friendly . No fees. 20 minutes to Toronto
CYOO- Oshawa- controlled . Customs. Fees. 30 minutes to Toronto

Fuel anywhere in Canada is higher than U.S. AVGAS AND MOGAS. This is the only bummer but not a deal breaker.

Enjoy your freedom to fly.

First my rant. You guys ( meaning your countries multi border protection agencies) have instituted onerous requirements for transborder crossing in GA aircraft. So much for your “ freedom to fly”
Yes the 35 dollar-ish annual CBP sticker is a pia. EAPIS is so much nonsense ( as a customs visit is mandatory any how)
Rant off
I fly all over North America with my little airplane. Thats the reason for flying. Putting up with the regulations is part of the experience.
I suggest that you fly to your intended destination and take advantage of your airplane’s resources.
You don’t have to land in Toronto CYTZ or CYYZ- these are definitely not good choices) plenty of GA friendly airports nearby. CYSN , St. Catharines(- customs available ) It’s not that much closer toToronto ( just across the border from KIAG) but is friendly and you avoid the horrible border crossing line ups at the various bridges. This truly is enough reason to fly across.
If you sign up for CANPASS you then have many more airports at your disposal. Easy process , inexpensive, good for 5 years and easy customs . no stickers, no paperwork available 24/7 - very civilized.
Other nearby airports:
CYYM - Hamilton.customs avail. Controlled airportLanding fees.parking Pricey fuel . only 30 minutes to Toronto
CYBA - Burlington.Uncontrolled CANPASS req’d. Friendly , no fees. 25 min to Toronto
CNC3- Brampton- uncontrolled- Canpass req’d, friendly . No fees. 20 minutes to Toronto
CYOO- Oshawa- controlled . Customs. Fees. 30 minutes to Toronto

Fuel anywhere in Canada is higher than U.S. AVGAS AND MOGAS. This is the only bummer but not a deal breaker.

Enjoy your freedom to fly.

Fuel in Canada isn't necessarily higher. Also, you left out CYKF as an option, especially if the OP is going to the Mississauga area. As for CYYZ, that really wouldn't be an option due to the lack of 100LL for sale.

Rental companies are selective which cars they allow across. I’ve had to do a swap at Hamilton, ON for a car they’d allow me to take to the US when I decided to not fly back, then swap for another in Cleveland that I could drop off in Indy (they didn’t want to let their border car to be too far away. National Car Rental.

Border crossing is easier with the right credentials (NEXUS), road or airlines. And well worth the hassle to get.

Waterloo CYKF would be my destination if I flew. Used to have commercial service until 2018.

Back