Nosy Controllers

The best work around is always file a vfr flight plan (even if you don't open it)!!! A savvy Center Controller will ask if you have a flight plan on file (does not matter IFR or VFR). If you answer in the affirmative, easy peasy,

Now THAT is a cool trick to pass along! Makes total sense but I never would have thought of it. :)

I was wondering if anything from up above has come out about this in your briefings, R&I. If so, was it a C90 thang, regional or national.
I don't recall seeing anything on this subject. All our system needs is callsign and type a/c. All I need is to confirm altitude and what you want to do.
Do you guys and gals not at Centers have to deal much with the “security” inquisition that has to happen for a divert?

Years ago my wife wasn’t too impressed that I had to tell ZDV that she needed to pee, to save the world from terrorists attacking the high value target of Alamosa, CO. LOL!
There are certain things that have to be reported to certain groups. It changes from time to time and maybe from facility to facility.

I'd just say to stretch my legs. :)

The fact of the matter is that flight plan info can be searched by Flight Data for SAR in the event that you go down. On cross country flights I normally just file IFR but if I don't, I make sure to at least put a VFR flight plan in. That will allow a pop-up IFR with any facility.

That's one of the most useful bits of information I've seen on a forum in quite some time, but it makes a lot of sense.

That's one of the most useful bits of information I've seen on a forum in quite some time, but it makes a lot of sense.

Will the controller even know you have a VFR flight plan? I thought VFR flight plans were only with Flight Service?

Will the controller even know you have a VFR flight plan? I thought VFR flight plans were only with Flight Service?
No, in the Center environment we will never see VFR flight plan info. You are correct that Flight service does that (at least for now). That is why controllers will ask if you have a flight plan on file. It's not that we really care what color your plane is, or your phone number, or that we are being nosey, it is purely for SAR. Controllers do not even see your IFR flight plan personal info! We don't know your name, home base, phone # or anything until something happens to the aircraft. Then the info digging starts. Not saying you should, but you could lie and say "yes I have a FP on file" and the controller would be never the wiser. BUT, if you go down or have any issues then your loved ones will not be contacted for a long, long time and without aircraft colors or fuel on board (i have a story of why fuel is important too) SAR will be difficult.

Back