First or Second half of week?

CJones

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
uHaveNoIdea
Well, there hasn't been a fresh post made here since last year, so time to stir the pot a bit.

My dad and I are ready to go all-in and take my oldest son (8 y/o) to his first Oshkosh. We'll be flying the RV up and camping by the plane (I want to have a camera rolling when he's awakened by his first 'dawn patrol' departure).

I'm fully expecting him to be worn out after a few days, so if you had to pick one half of the week to do the trip, which half would you choose? For some background, my dad and I have each flown in and camped under the wing several times, so the arrival/departure isn't overly concerning for us.

Go Tues - Thur. Then you'll get a night show and the Van's dinner.

Monday night concert doesn't look interesting. The Fray.

I’m thinking of bringing my 6 year old this year. It will be both of our first time. My plan right now is to go Thursday - Sunday because that saves taking a day or two off work.

Arrive Sunday leave Thursday morning. The second half of the week tends to slow down. A large number of aircraft are gone by Thursday/Friday and most of the better forums are earlier in the week. Arriving on Sunday gives you time to get camp setup, walk the flightline, watch arrivals, and go have a leisurely dinner all before the show even starts. Leaving Thursday allows you to see the night airshow which isn't a bad way to end a vacation.

And don't forge too bring him by the Activities Center (formerly known as the Craft Tent) so I can teach him some Origami. Please don't be upset if I don't recognize you at first, it has been a LONG time.

All good points. I like the idea of getting their the first half and leaving the day after the night airshow - talk about ending on a high point. I haven't seen the night airshow myself, either. I've been there late on Fri at the end of the show and you're right, things start clearing out by then. We'll be sure to stop by, steingar!

I'm getting excited just thinking about the first time he sees so many cool airplanes in one spot. We went down to the Air Force museum at Robins AFB a few months ago and he liked it pretty well, but for so many of the planes I kept saying "You should see and hear the thing fly!" Hopefully he gets the chance this summer!

Monday night concert doesn't look interesting. The Fray.

The Fray played last year (2020's performer has yet to be announced), and I must say, I was pleasantly surprised. They put on a good show and had a good time with the flyby's and the crowd.

We were there Sat-Th last year and thought it was awesome! Two free days to go look at everyone else's cool airplanes (Sat-Sun), and then 3 days plus one awesome night show! I know that gets to be a bit much for the kiddo's, but I'd go early in the week.

PoA dinner served by the Prellwitzes is usually Tuesday night and is the best food you'll have all week... Hope to see you there!

BTW, I have forgiven my father for not taking me to Oshkosh until I was 14... But you should be prepared to keep bringing your son to Oshkosh every year after he experiences it the first time! My son is 3 years old and 2020 will be his fourth Oshkosh... Fifth if you count in utero! :D

Haven't been there since the mid 80's. I'll have to put it on my bucket list for the near future.

I’m not doing a forum, but teaching Origami at the Activities Center, formerly known as the Craft tent.

I’ve always been a Monday morning kinda guy, hit it on day one. Last year, there were weather issues the weekend before the open, VERY soggy. With weather & some work issues, I be-bopped by FISKE Wednesday morning for a few days at the show.

I did catch the night air show Wed eve, nice. The 2nd part was just as fine as the 1st days have always been. Even if not camping, it’s much more pleasant with cooperative weather. I would remain flexible, besides weather there can be parking issues. If parking fills, it usually opens up again mid-week or Thursday.

I always say though, go whatever time you can fit it in, driving or flying.

my preference is to arrive before the first day...a day or two early. Watching arrivals is fun for me. It's been a while but I want to say it's a bit less crowded without all the day visitors and the display's not all opened yet.... a couple good days to walk the grounds even before it 'starts' is fine, and a day or two after it opens to walk the booths, attend talks, shows, etc...
The tail end weekend is more overcrowded with day visitors, and also some of the warbirds and cool stuff to see will be bugging out early so that is my least favorite time.

Back