Car Seat Help

MSUDavid

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
MSUDavid
I have a 7 week old and would like to take her flying for the first time in our Archer II. Her current infant seat fits in the plane, but I was worried about her hearing.

I purchased infant hearing protection, but the car seat isn’t wide enough for her to wear it due to the sides being narrow around her head area.

So now to my question: can anyone tell me what convertible car seat they used that was wide enough in the head area to allow an infant to use a headset?

I would like it to be convertible so I could use it in our car once she was older as well. Any thoughts or links to what worked would be appreciated!

7 weeks old!?!?! That’s not an infant, that’s a newborn.

Same thing!! J/k! I’m just waiting for when she can keep her own pacifier in her mouth or hold her own bottle!

Same thing!! J/k! I’m just waiting for when she can keep her own pacifier in her mouth or hold her own bottle!
Just curious what you hope to gain from taking a 7 week old baby for their first flight? They certainly won’t get a thing out of it.

We used a regular car seat for the babies. When they were little, we inserted foam ear plugs. As they got older and could pull the ear plugs out, we wrapped a towel or blanket around their head wedged against the seat and scheduled flights during nap time. Slightly older and they got to wear kid ear muffs around the house to get used to them and had little trouble getting them to wear them in the plane. And now older, and they have their own child size headset.
When we turned the car seat to forward facing in the car, we bought an aviation kids seatbelt harness.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just curious what you hope to gain from taking a 7 week old baby for their first flight? They certainly won’t get a thing out of it.

Babies don’t get anything out of things we do with them. It is for my convenience that I would choose to fly with her by visiting family members a few hundred miles away. I would like to go on a test flight before I venture too far from the home drone.

We used a regular car seat for the babies. When they were little, we inserted foam ear plugs. As they got older and could pull the ear plugs out, we wrapped a towel or blanket around their head wedged against the seat and scheduled flights during nap time. Slightly older and they got to wear kid ear muffs around the house to get used to them and had little trouble getting them to wear them in the plane. And now older, and they have their own child size headset.
When we turned the car seat to forward facing in the car, we bought an aviation kids seatbelt harness.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks for the reply. I don’t know why I didn’t consider ear plugs...

Personally, I’d wait until she can comfortably keep her head up with the headset. That young and I’d be worried about the stresses a newborn would have on her neck while traveling in a small plane. I think it was 1 year before I took my kiddo flying with the same thinking. Now I can’t keep him out of the plane.

I have a 7 week old and would like to take her flying for the first time in our Archer II. Her current infant seat fits in the plane, but I was worried about her hearing.

I purchased infant hearing protection, but the car seat isn’t wide enough for her to wear it due to the sides being narrow around her head area.

So now to my question: can anyone tell me what convertible car seat they used that was wide enough in the head area to allow an infant to use a headset?

I would like it to be convertible so I could use it in our car once she was older as well. Any thoughts or links to what worked would be appreciated!
Our little guy was about 7 weeks when we took him for his first flight. We had a modular Graco "bucket" and bought a separate base just for the plane to make things easy. We used small muffs that were still big on him but he didn't seem to mind. That was almost 5 years ago now, my how time has flown...49653F40-F83A-4D62-A495-2ACA8B45E7B5.jpeg

The automotive type car seats for infants fit fine in PA-28 bucket seats. Your archer II is the same cabin as my Arrow, so it should be no issue in fit. My wife has always flown in the back with him, it's actually more roomy now without the car seat, but she never complained about the back room with the car seat, and I prefer flying solo in the front in order to stretch. Win win.

Flew mine in it right at 8 weeks (got rid of the Warrior and got an Arrow as a consequence of his arrival). As for ear protection Baby banz make the head gear for their size, no issues. Mine is now 6 years old, time does fly.....

Back