Battery Jump Packs

AA5Bman

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
He who ironically no longer flies an AA5B
I have slowly been building my emergency tool kit for the plane and have been wanting to add a portable jump pack. I fly into a lot of remote areas and one of bigger (and more likely) mechanical issues that I worry about is a simple dead battery.

I saw this one for sale at Costco the other day, which I think is on the lighter-duty end of the spectrum...

https://www.costco.com/type-s-lithium-jump-starter-%26-portable-power-bank-with-built-in-wireless-charging.product.100455412.html

...and went ahead and picked it up.

Coincidentally, my mechanic ran the battery down doing a bunch of avionics configuration and testing recently, so I had the perfect opportunity to try it out. It did put a charge to the battery, but didn’t have enough “oomph” to get the blades over the top of the compression stroke on my IO-470 (which, with high-compression cylinders seems to be a pretty tough-torquing engine).

Does anyone have a good experience with these packs who might be able to point me in the right direction for one that would have enough “juice” for my engine? I have an acquaintance who was able to jump his diesel tractor engine with one so I think it should be possible.

Note: the one I listed above says it is an 8000 mAh unit, but I could have sworn the one I bought (same brand, same look), was only 4000 mAh but I don’t have the packaging anymore. Don’t know if it would make a difference.

I recently bought a 1,000 peak amp Noco booster battery after watching several impressive demonstrations on YouTube. It easily started my Expedition with the 5.4L V8 with a dead battery. Next I disconnected the battery completely and was able to start it with only the booster. It didn’t turn over quite as quick but it did start.

I haven’t tried it on my airplane yet (O-360) but plan to soon. I’m pretty sure the 1,000 amp will do the job (its rated for up to a 6 L gas engine) but I’m considering buying the 2,000 amp version. If I had an O-470 I’d probably go with the 2,000 amp. I noticed the one you linked to is only rated for 350 peak amps.

Everything I’ve read so far recommends recharging them about every three months to make sure they’re ready when you need them.

NOCO makes 500, 1000, 1500, 2000, 4000, & 20000 amp models. The 20000 amp model can output in 12v or 24v but its pretty pricy.

Amps will crank the engine while mAh will charge some other battery or give you more attempts.

I carry one but it is my absolute emergency backup. Instead, I have a set of jumper cables with the Cessna external power port on one side. For jumpers I now only carry this universal plug and jump unit. https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/plugnjump.php?clickkey=448886 The part is expensive but really simplifies everything.

I did need a jump one day and we used a crew car with the airport battery cables to jump the plane.

I have the plug, but this is for emergencies where there are no car backups.

Man that thing looks like a beast - and a good price.

I was just about to buy it until I read this review:

PROS:
1) Can jump start a car?

2) 5V output line is fairly well regulated, stays around 4.8V at the 2A load. With this 2A draw, it runs for over 5 hours on full charge. This is good enough to recharge your phone 2-3 times, and juice up a laptop with compatible input for an extra 2-4 hours.

3) Nice features: two USB smart ports with up to 12V output, USB-C charging and output, red-on-black functional display,

CONS:
1) The supposed 12V output is actually 16.8V at full charge - both at the clamps and at the barrel jack (see the photo). The output is not regulated at all: under load (in my test case, 1A), it steadily drops from 16V to just under 12V, when fully discharged. This basically means that internally they simply routed 4 lithium cells in series to both so-called "12V" outputs, without any regulation circuitry in between. When the cells are fully charged, it gives 4 x 4.2V = 16.6V, when fully discharged it becomes 4 x 3.15V = 12.6V (actual voltage will drop obviously under load, especially past half charge). Applying voltage this high to a car’s 12V charging / lighting circuit is probably ok, meaning that it should be pretty tolerant to voltage swings to begin with, but does have a potential to fry some stuff, say interior light bulbs. Same goes for your 12V gadgets: you could use it, hoping they can withstand the 16V actual, but you shouldn’t.

I know that when I jump the plane, I keep the master and avionics switch off. Would the plane's voltage regulator deal with some of the above? Or does it matter if the master and avionics switch is off? I sure wouldn't want to fry anything expensive.

I would rather hand prop an airplane than risk damaging modern avionics with plugging in a battery pack.

Unless the battery is dead from a failed alternator/generator, That will get an airplane back in the air in a remote area.

One of the best things about airplanes is that they can fly with no electrical system at all. Magnetos are your friend!

Hand prop an IO-470? I don't think they're Lipos like RC planes - Lion is my understanding.

I wouldn’t mind one, but would have to be 24v and I’d want to rig up a GPU plug, no way I’d hook it up any other way.

Does anyone have a good experience with these packs who might be able to point me in the right direction for one that would have enough “juice” for my engine?
From the mx side, the only ones I've seen work consistently and last where those made/sold for aircraft use like those on Aircraft Spruce. After trying some cheaper versions to include a DIY version I went with Start Pac brand. They ain't cheap but my 12v one made 10 years before it died after which threw in a new battery it and sold it for 1/2 the cost of a new one. A friend keeps my 28v one and it's over 16 years years old and on its 3rd battery pack.

Necro revival.

I've been looking for a portable jump pack for our 4runner and was all set on the NOCO until I watched this guys review on Youtube. I really liked his review with some actual testing including temperature. He talks fast but the Noco did not fare well. I just ordered the Audew 2000A. I also like that it has a USB C vs micro-USB charger. The cold temperature testing and small tractor engine seemed akin to starting a airplane engine:

21 minute review? Ain't no one got time for that.

With all the time you waste here on POA, EdFred? Can’t find 21 minutes, watch it at 2x speed and skip the parts you don’t like.

And the reviewer talks fast besides!

I think the top three would start the 182. At under 2lbs seems like its worth a shot. Cool watching the top 3 units cold cranking that tractor engine. They all needed 2 tries first (probably to warm up the internal battery pack) and then they cranked like 6 or more seconds.

I have a brand called HALO. It is about as big as a bible and has besides a jumper cable port; 2 USB ports, light and 110v inverter. I have used it to jump start multiple cars, a motorcycle, garden tractor and my 1969 Cherokee 140. With regards to jump starting some things I learned:

1) it will not jump start a vehicle with a bad battery. If the vehicle battery is so bad it has to be charged every night to start the vehicle the next day forget it. The HALO will charge and peak a good but discharged battery. It does not have the capacity to crank a starter by itself. It peaks a good battery and the battery will provide the cranking amps.

2) when attached to the vehicle battery be patient and let it charge the battery. Once again it is not like using another vehicle battery to jump with. Look at it like a fast charger but a charger nonetheless less.

3) airplanes with 28 volt systems like most contemporary Cessna’s require something other than the HALO that works on 12 volt systems only.

4) the HALO cones with a 110v wall wart charger and a 12v accessory charger for charging in a car. I leave mine plugged into the car charging all the time. It has been 2 years since I have had it and 2 weeks ago jumped a car with it. So far keeping it on charge in my car has not overcharged or damaged the battery.

my wife bought the HALO on Amazon during a sale for $99 including shipping. I really like it.

EarthX Jump Pack. Used mine dozens of times. I keep one in my day pack that goes with in airplanes. Most times on the other end of a flight I have wheelers and boats and tractors, so jumping is common. Never disappointed!

There are 28v jump packs for trucks and similar although they cost more. And the GPU plug is pretty easy, if not cheap($40).

My 1969 Cherokee 140 does not have an external GPU plug so that is not an option. I suppose I could have it wired for one but that would be more than the $99 HALO. Plus I went to Hershey Park (in Pa) and it is a small airport with nothing around, just one small light bulb on a hangar lighting the airport proper until the runway lights are activated. We left at 11:00 PM and it was dead quiet. Even if I had a GPU harness I would not have a vehicle around to jump with. Can’t beat having a bible size jump battery with me in case I needed it.

We use jump packs to start equipment underground all the time. 99% of the equipment is 24V, engines range from 100 to 500 HP. Be careful over the past few years 2 of the jump packs have exploded. That said the miners and mechanics treat them poorly everything in the mining industry gets abused.

The voltage regulator in the plane has no bearing on the battery or jumpstarter. It works by modulating the alternator/generator field to hold the output at the desired value.

Just received one of the recommended ones from the review video. This one is a 2000A version vs its little bro in the review. Zero clue if its any good since I haven't tested it. But here are a couple pictures to show overall size. The case is very nice as well. Unless you are busting W&B at the seams this thing weighs about 2lbs with case and could be easily stashed in most planes. They claim it will start a 8L engine so maybe it would crank the old Skylane 7.7L tractor engine:
IMG_30092020_222046_(980_x_544_pixel).jpg
IMG_30092020_222025_(980_x_663_pixel).jpg

Back