KX-155

wabower

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Wayne
While picking up the Encore (with new G-725, camera, cabin display, etc.) the shop owner was trying to help some poor guy in a 182 whose radios were on the fritz. He later told us that the straight 155's (not the -A's) are failing at a more rapid rate due to capacitors leaking and ruining the circuit boards, thereby rendering the units unrepairable. He advised us to check our inventory and be prepared to immediately replace any such units.

Did they use cheap caps in the 155's, then better ones in the -A?

I still think the KX-155 is about the best sounding radio made. Beats a Garmin 430 any day.

As I understand it the guy I mentioned was stuck at the radio shop because his 155's were making no sound. My 180 has a 430W and a 155 installed, and I am often asked to change radios when using the 155. I'm not an avionics guy and don't know why. But within about six weeks I won't be worrying about it.

I still think the KX-155 is about the best sounding radio made. Beats a Garmin 430 any day.

As I understand it the guy I mentioned was stuck at the radio shop because his 155's were making no sound. My 180 has a 430W and a 155 installed, and I am often asked to change radios when using the 155. I'm not an avionics guy and don't know why. But within about six weeks I won't be worrying about it.

Properly working the 155 definitely reaches further. This is an observation I've made in probably 10 or more airplanes that had a 430/155 stack. Initially I thought it was just installation/antenna that was causing the performance difference but time after time again in airplane after airplane when I couldn't reach a controller with a 430 the 155 would.

Did they use cheap caps in the 155's, then better ones in the -A?
Capacitor manufacturers run into materials issues now and then and the result is often a wide range of products experiencing high failure rates. This has happened with several component suppliers that one would expect provide "high quality" parts. Chances are it wasn't a choice of "cheap" vs "better" caps, just bad luck on King's part.

I'm not sure if I believe the "can't be repaired" part of the explanation. It's pretty rare that a leaking electrolytic causes significant collateral damage although it does happen. I suspect it's more along the lines of "we'd rather sell you a new circuit board than repair your original because we'll get blamed if/when another component fails."

I've got one KX-155 that's worked well for 15 years aside from the gas plasma display that has been replaced once and is a common failure (cost is around $100). I'm told the displays in the 155A fail as often and cost twice as much or more.

Last edited:
If you flew mine your belief would change, at least for that plane.

Properly working the 155 definitely reaches further. This is an observation I've made in probably 10 or more airplanes that had a 430/155 stack. Initially I thought it was just installation/antenna that was causing the performance difference but time after time again in airplane after airplane when I couldn't reach a controller with a 430 the 155 would.

I also think they are more susceptible to picking up the trash that is reflected out of some ELT systems. I replaced the old ELT in 26T because the static over lincoln was so bad. 65Z does the same thing, just not enough to mess with. Both airplanes are KX155.

What're you replacing the 155 with?

I had a 155A in the Aztec and liked it. Always liked the normal 155s as well.

An SL-30 is currently the leading candidate since I have one in the garage that could go in the panel and provide some additional space. Gotta figure out the best move to solve the ADS-B/XM puzzle as well, as it's also time to pitch the old KT-76 TXP.

What're you replacing the 155 with?

I had a 155A in the Aztec and liked it. Always liked the normal 155s as well.

An SL-30 is currently the leading candidate since I have one in the garage that could go in the panel and provide some additional space. Gotta figure out the best move to solve the ADS-B/XM puzzle as well, as it's also time to pitch the old KT-76 TXP.
I've been wanting to replace my KX155 with a SL-30 for a long time. It plays well with the GNS480 in the panel and is/was the best GA navcom available for many years as long as you didn't need 8.33 MHz channel spacing. It's actually the exact same electronics (same circuit board I'm told) as the navcom portion of the 480 which works pretty well.

But the 480s actually getting a bit long in the tooth and the Avidyne 440 might be an improvement (I'm not convinced the Garmin GTN 650 is enough of an improvement to want one) so it might be too late for me to make that change unless the 155 dies.

If it goes as planned the installation will be completed in a few weeks and a PIREP will be available.

I've been wanting to replace my KX155 with a SL-30 for a long time. It plays well with the GNS480 in the panel and is/was the best GA navcom available for many years as long as you didn't need 8.33 MHz channel spacing. It's actually the exact same electronics (same circuit board I'm told) as the navcom portion of the 480 which works pretty well.

But the 480s actually getting a bit long in the tooth and the Avidyne 440 might be an improvement (I'm not convinced the Garmin GTN 650 is enough of an improvement to want one) so it might be too late for me to make that change unless the 155 dies.

If it goes as planned the installation will be completed in a few weeks and a PIREP will be available.
Dang. I was hoping you were going to offer the SL30 to me for $1000 so I could tell you how well it worked.:D

Dang. I was hoping you were going to offer the SL30 to me for $1000 so I could tell you how well it worked.:D

I've got an old Collins Nav/Com I'll sell you for $1,000 and I can give you a PIREP of, but since that PIREP is "It's a piece of crap" and you can buy them for $150, that probably isn't what you were looking for. ;)

Garmin makes two versions of the 430, one with a higher=output transmitter. Don't know that I have ever seen one.

I agree - folks dog on Narco radios, but my old Narco is a much better COM radio than the Garmin. in both transmit and receive. When I fly over the antenna farm on the south side of town, the one with all the TV and FM transmitters, the Garmin breaks squelch and controllers are almost unintelligible under the noise. The Narco, not a problem.

Garmin makes two versions of the 430, one with a higher=output transmitter. Don't know that I have ever seen one.

There's one guy on the Twin Cessna forum who has the high-powered versions. He flies his 421 between Hawaii and Seattle.

I agree with the comment that they'd rather sell you a new circuit board than troubleshoot to component level, mostly because the current avionics techs don't know how.

Electrolytics eventually dry up. No one repairing and restoring old radios will ever disagree with that. It's the first place one looks when a radio starts acting up that has many years of service. Sometimes they ooze their guts out and damage the traces around them on a board, but it's usually repairable.

I've got all sorts of vintages of radios and gear in regular service, and there's nothing to "wear out" in a radio physically other than migration of the conductive material inside transistors that are pushed to their limits in the RF power amplifier sections, and that takes typically 30 years or more. Well, that and switches and knobs...

The KX-155 is a well built radio for its day. Opening one up, the layout is excellent and the Achilles heel of the radio is the vacuum fluorescent display. Those die with some regularity and are getting harder to find. The manufacturer stopped making them long ago. Additionally many of the older radios don't meet the RoHS requirements that changed all the components they were built with, and mixing lead-based solder with the newer non-lead variety isn't advised in most cases.

I love our 155s but they're at a price point now where at current shop time rates, they're not worth repairing, usually. The audio quality is excellent from them, since they were engineered at the peak of the analog engineering age. There were engineers on staff who could tell you exactly how something sounded if a specific R/C circuit was applied, and had the component values to impedance match with best audio cut-off memorized. And by best, I mean, tailored to the audio job the device was going to do.

Garmin radios sound flat and lifeless to me, like their audio sections were simulated on a computer and built from that. And they probably were.

I use the 155 over a garmin 430, 480, 650, or 750. Sounds better and I'm just used to the 155. The garmin stays tuned to guard

I have a KX-155 and Garmin 430 and the 155 outshines in distance and clarity, period. Only issue in 10 years with the 155 is some digit segments flickering on cold days until the thing warms up.

I get that the 155 is old and getting harder and more expensive to repair. I'm not sure why the shop guy is shoveling the "suddenly failing at a rapid rate" and "be prepared to replace immediately" line while the radios are 25+ years old in some cases?

Count me out on the radio Hysteria-

Who would you expect to be the first guy to notice a problem with old radios? The guy at the radio shop whose customers arrive NORDO hoping to find the problem or some guy at KFC?

I have a KX-155 and Garmin 430 and the 155 outshines in distance and clarity, period. Only issue in 10 years with the 155 is some digit segments flickering on cold days until the thing warms up.

I get that the 155 is old and getting harder and more expensive to repair. I'm not sure why the shop guy is shoveling the "suddenly failing at a rapid rate" and "be prepared to replace immediately" line while the radios are 25+ years old in some cases?

Count me out on the radio Hysteria-

Who would you expect to be the first guy to notice a problem with old radios? The guy at the radio shop whose customers arrive NORDO hoping to find the problem or some guy at KFC?
Would you expect the guy selling new windows to go door-to-door telling people how nice their old windows are?

More crazy talk. :yes:

Ergo, car dealer tells me that 25 year old Honda Accords are rapidly falling to pieces and owners of such should immediately find replacements this week!

As I recall the Chevy dealer who sold me the car was the first guy to tell me about the ABS sensor problem that affected many of the 2001 models. They also replaced the first batch under warranty when mine failed, but after that the cost reverted to the owner.

But everybody knows all car dealers are crooks, right?

More crazy talk. :yes:

Ergo, car dealer tells me that 25 year old Honda Accords are rapidly falling to pieces and owners of such should immediately find replacements this week!

Lets make it more factual. Assume the crank mechanism on one of your windows stops working. You aren't a window mechanic so you remove the window and take it to your friend who owns a window shop and who has proven to be a very knowledgeable and honest guy during the 20+ years you done business with him. All your other windows work just fine, and you can't figure out what's wrong.

Your friend takes the window apart and comes back to report that the windows of that style and age are becoming problematic because the metal in the gears has deteriorated and they are seeing numerous failures. He explains that he adjusted the mechanism and the window may work for another few cycles but that most of the problems have recurred and the customers had been forced to buy new mechanisms if they want to open the windows.

He didn't ask you to buy another window or give you a brochure or say anything else other than to wish you good luck and send you on your way.

Now what?

Would you expect the guy selling new windows to go door-to-door telling people how nice their old windows are?

Lets make it more factual. Assume the crank mechanism on one of your windows stops working. You aren't a window mechanic so you remove the window and take it to your friend who owns a window shop and who has proven to be a very knowledgeable and honest guy during the 20+ years you done business with him. All your other windows work just fine, and you can't figure out what's wrong.

Your friend takes the window apart and comes back to report that the windows of that style and age are becoming problematic because the metal in the gears has deteriorated and they are seeing numerous failures. He explains that he adjusted the mechanism and the window may work for another few cycles but that most of the problems have recurred and the customers had been forced to buy new mechanisms if they want to open the windows.

He didn't ask you to buy another window or give you a brochure or say anything else other than to wish you good luck and send you on your way.

Now what?

Pretty sharp for an old man aren't you? :)

A KX-155 is not a KX-155. They had many internal changes over the years, old ones were traditional thru-hole mounted electrolytic caps and socketed ICs, later ones were SMD chips and (mostly) solid state caps. No different than saying that Ford Mustangs have problem XYZ without mentioning if you are talking about a 1964 version or a 2013 version.

As I recall the Chevy dealer who sold me the car was the first guy to tell me about the ABS sensor problem that affected many of the 2001 models. They also replaced the first batch under warranty when mine failed, but after that the cost reverted to the owner.

But everybody knows all car dealers are crooks, right?

As you would say, assumes facts not in evidence. :)

Just because your dealer warned you, doesn't mean their salespeople didn't rob the next guy or gal, blind -- or fail to warn them about the problem. Did he have a sign up in the lobby? Ha.

The stereotype of car salesmen is mostly well-deserved.

Strait 430 doesn't have the most powerful transmitter, the a (24v only) steps things up quite a bit

Capacitor manufacturers run into materials issues now and then and the result is often a wide range of products experiencing high failure rates. This has happened with several component suppliers that one would expect provide "high quality" parts. Chances are it wasn't a choice of "cheap" vs "better" caps, just bad luck on King's part.

I'm not sure if I believe the "can't be repaired" part of the explanation. It's pretty rare that a leaking electrolytic causes significant collateral damage although it does happen. I suspect it's more along the lines of "we'd rather sell you a new circuit board than repair your original because we'll get blamed if/when another component fails."

I've got one KX-155 that's worked well for 15 years aside from the gas plasma display that has been replaced once and is a common failure (cost is around $100). I'm told the displays in the 155A fail as often and cost twice as much or more.
My KX155 display just died. I took it out and saw "white" around the display so I assume the plasma display is the problem. Where can I purchase one for $100? Thanks, in advance for your help

I have not seen Wayne Bower in years! I wonder where he is.
Thanks for digging this 3+ yr old thread up and reminding me about Wayne and his shiny 180.

Yea, grasping at straws trying to fix my navcom without spending over $1,000. Looked everywhere for a gas plasma display with no luck.... Ugh

Call my avionics guy, he can come up with some pretty wild stuff
pm-ing phone #

Is that what's wrong with this one? What exactly do I need to fix here? Radio works great but display is nearly unreadable. (New guy alert).

kx155.PNG

Especially Microsoft, telling us all their new windows are better than their old windows. So long as I can see through my 7-pane 64 mil windows you will have to pry them out of my cold dead hands.

Jim

Is that what's wrong with this one? What exactly do I need to fix here? Radio works great but display is nearly unreadable. (New guy alert).
Either a display failure or a loose connection. Does it come back if you tap the bezel or push on the lens?

Back