PBI POTUS TFR Help

AnthonyS1

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
AnthonyS1
Hey guys I'm planning on a long cross country this saturday from my base in South Jersey to KPMP. It looks like Trump will be in town and the outer ring of the TFR covers KPMP. I just want to confirm but from my understanding I can fly through the outer ring VFR and into KPMP fine as long as I am talking to ATC and have been issued a squawk code? And another confirmation that the INNER ring is off limits no matter what correct? This is basically how it works when the Bedminster TFR is in effect in North Jersey which I am familiar with but have never encountered the TFR anywhere outside of my home base. Thanks for the help. And if any pilots native to FLL area have any recommendations on things to do or places to eat while I'm down there for the week that would be cool. Planning to do a flight to the keys one day. And maybe somewhere else but not sure.

I've flown in/out of airports in the outer ring of the pbi tfr a few times no issues. what I would recommend is calling to make sure they have room for you, which they most likely will but what happens is all the outer ring airports get a little busier because fewer people are flying into the inner ring airports. I was gonna fly into boca during one of the tfr's and they suggested calling to make sure they had a spot for me. I chose to go to F45 on the north side who said they had a spot for me and was cheaper. lastly, just read the tfr, it'll explain what u can/can't do. even a shmuck like me can understand it.

It's been a while since I looked at it but last I checked the NOTAM had all the pertinent information in it. Your description is essentially correct although I'd point out that you need a VFR flight plan and a discreet squawk code to do it VFR. This is the one and only place where I'd say filing IFR can be beneficial even when the weather is perfect. Getting in and out is seamless and easy.

If the TFR makes you uneasy, you might go into FXE instead, it's right next door and there is a cut out in the TFR for it.

You guys are lucky ... wanted to head eastbound from Dona Ana (KDNA) through the Class C (KELP) when Obama was nearby a few years ago. Controllers wouldn't issue the squawk, and when the president is at at Ft Bliss, their outer "ring" extends very near our field, blocks Anthony Gap E-W up to the restricted areas of White Sands Missle range and southbound blocked by ADIZ and Mexican airspace.

You need to do two things.

1) File a flight plan
2) Obtain FF well before you are in the TFR.

Or, you can fly IFR and not worry about it. The only thing you can't do is arrive or depart an inner ring airport.

Thanks for the replies. Will most likely go IFR now.

I'm based at KPMP. Flight plan filed, doesn't have to be opened, and talk to FF. Easy. Should be a beautiful weekend. If you like seafood try FIsh Shack or Seafood World/Papa's Raw Bar. Whales Rib by Deerfield beach. It's spring break so the beaches are busy, lots of sights to see. Tuesday's X06 has a taco truck and gas for 3.59. Everglades City or Marathon for stone crab claws.

Back