Nosy Controllers

luvflyin

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Luvflyin
It's come up that Controllers are starting to ask for Flight Plan information, such as pilots phone number, when handling 'Pop up' requests for IFR Clearances. Have you had this happen? If so, where do you get it, what area, State is narrow enough. @Jmcmanna , @Radar Contact , whadda ya know about this?

Last edited:
It's come up that Controllers are starting to ask for Flight Plan information, such as pilots phone number
If she had one of those sexy ATC voices, I’d gladly comply. Maybe even see what time she gets off.

EFB77A0C-0556-4362-B4F3-9A30B341DEAB.jpeg

At my facility, our interpretation of the above, was that the flight plan information in an air file included everything on a 7233-1 or DD-175. So that’s name, phone number, color aircraft etc. That’s recorded information for SAR purposes, not anything to type into the FDIO because it doesn’t accept that crap anyway. What I found funny is, we needed that for enroute air files but a local pop up (abbreviated IFR flight plan) didn’t require any of it. :confused:

Only request has been ,is the pilot qualified, and aircraft equipped.

never had it happen. the only info I've ever been asked in the context of a pop up IFR , was "are you slant golf?"

So that’s name, phone number, color aircraft etc. That’s recorded information for SAR purposes,

I have been asked to "say it for the tapes, I'm not writing it down" so I shoot that part rapid fire so as to not tie up the frequency and they seem to accept that. (I have also heard the alternative, a pilot trying to recall all this stuff, and then delivering it in that agonizingly slow fashion that ties up the frequency and results in an audible facepalm from anyone listening.)

I have been asked to "say it for the tapes, I'm not writing it down" so I shoot that part rapid fire so as to not tie up the frequency and they seem to accept that. (I have also heard the alternative, a pilot trying to recall all this stuff, and then delivering it in that agonizingly slow fashion that ties up the frequency and results in an audible facepalm from anyone listening.)

Is this something that started happening recently? How west in Texas are you? Do you notice getting this from one particular facility, like say Albuquerque Center?

Back cover of my IFR supplement. All ATC really needs is the left column but if they say “give me all your flight plan information for the tapes,” then they’re getting the right column as well.

EDD9310D-99D6-419A-80A0-5E6559685FDE.jpeg

Is this something that started happening recently?

No, I heard this over 15 years ago

How west in Texas are you?

I go as far west as Texas is, but I have heard it in the west half of the state for sure, and possibly other places.

Do you notice getting this from one particular facility, like say Albuquerque Center?

I think the last time I heard it was Midland app but I think I have heard it with ABQ ctr too
It's really not a huge deal.
I have also heard popups where atc did not ask any info, they seemed to busy and the guy just wanted to land.

I heard one guy at SoCal make some kid call Flight Service in the air. That was kind of messed up, though the guy wasn't having a hard time maintaining VFR. I do know it was a flight school plane, based on the call sign, so the controller was costing the kid more money that he didn't need to.

It's come up that Controllers are starting to ask for Flight Plan information, such as pilots phone number, when handling 'Pop up' requests for IFR Clearances. Have you had this happen? If so, where do you get it, what area, State is narrow enough. @Jmcmanna , @Radar Contact , whadda ya know about this?

I can see it for an en route, but I'd be surprised if they did it for a pop up that was just for an approach.

We sometimes get that, but not the rest.

I heard one guy at SoCal make some kid call Flight Service in the air. That was kind of messed up, though the guy wasn't having a hard time maintaining VFR. I do know it was a flight school plane, based on the call sign, so the controller was costing the kid more money that he didn't need to.

Why was it costing him money? He waited so late into crap weather that he had to circle or something?

I can’t see this costing more than $10 anyway. That’s $200/hr and three minutes. Even at 10 minutes (no way), $33? That’s way fine into
“Who cares?” money to learn not to wait that long.

Why was it costing him money? He waited so late into crap weather that he had to circle or something?

I can’t see this costing more than $10 anyway. That’s $200/hr and three minutes. Even at 10 minutes (no way), $33? That’s way fine into
“Who cares?” money to learn not to wait that long.

Remember, in Southern California, ceilings may be predicted as clear and then appear very quickly. It sounded like there was an instructor in the plane too, so there would have been planning.

If you are enroute with an active VFR flight plan, you can advise the controller of that, which means he doesn't need the info.
Jon

Remember, in Southern California, ceilings may be predicted as clear and then appear very quickly. It sounded like there was an instructor in the plane too, so there would have been planning.

Well if it changes that fast, a $10 detour seems like it’s going to happen quite often, anyway. Might as well get used to it. :)

One time, flying Montgomery, AL to Tallahassee, FL after diverting to wait out a line of storms, I was flying on VFR Flight Following and the ceilings just weren't completely comfortable for me, lower than they had been reported. I asked Cairns (Army) Approach for a pop-up IFR, he asked, "What altitude would you like?" I told him "7000 feet," to which he replied, "You are cleared to Tallahassee via Direct, climb and maintain seven thousand." Nice guy.

It may have helped that, in the entire time I was on frequency with him, I was the *only* traffic he handled.

Does this list change with ICAO flight plan format?

Reference communication, nav and surveillance codes? Yeah I’d give it to them if asked. You might be asked just to give equipment suffix (/) though. Not all of their computers can enter the ICAO CNS stuff. Centers mostly.

What does "Aircraft Unit of Assignment" mean? (Item 14 from reply #10 above). I know what each of those words mean individually, but not in that combination.

What does "Aircraft Unit of Assignment" mean? (Item 14 from reply #10 above). I know what each of those words mean individually, but not in that combination.

Military airfield assigned (DOD FLIP). Equivalent to “home base” on a 7233-1.

If she had one of those sexy ATC voices, I’d gladly comply. Maybe even see what time she gets off.
LOL. There was this one, very nice, very friendly controller... and when you saw her, she looked very different from her voice, lol. I had to think how amusing it was that the guys were flirting with her on the radio. Very nice person, mind you, and totally one I would want for a friend, but their imagination was pretty off.

Are you sure that they still ask about qualifications? I recall a controller telling me a few years ago that they dropped that part, at least with IFR requests. (I can recall at least one tape where the pilot responded that he was "IFR qualified and equipped", which was a lie because he was not qualified but it permitted the controller to make assumptions about the pilot's ability to operate IFR. The pilot was subsequently killed during the approach attempt.)

Are you sure that they still ask about qualifications? I recall a controller telling me a few years ago that they dropped that part, at least with IFR requests. (I can recall at least one tape where the pilot responded that he was "IFR qualified and equipped", which was a lie because he was not qualified but it permitted the controller to make assumptions about the pilot's ability to operate IFR. The pilot was subsequently killed during the approach attempt.)

Yes, they do but it all depends on how the controller behind the scope interprets the situation.

91204C3B-BF43-4DCC-A4CC-3E01ED8F1C9F.jpeg

I was on downwind recently and the tower controller said “state your business visiting Xyz Airport.” I felt like saying none of your business!

I was on downwind recently and the tower controller said “state your business visiting Xyz Airport.” I felt like saying none of your business!
My business is making a full stop landing. Thanks.

I like it better when they just say "can you make a short approach?"

They probably just wanted to know your intentions so they could fit you in best, and asked in a clumsy way, but I would have been put off by that phrasing.

Must have been one of those "highly-secured members-only" airports that they had to sneak into on Airplane Repo. :rofl:

Sorry for being late to the party. If you ask me for a pop up all I’m going to need is your callsign, type aircraft, altitude and request (i.e. climb/descend through a thin layer, RNAV 27 at XYZ, etc). I have heard (center controllers specifically) others request more while flying the country. I like the min required to get everyone to the finish line.

View attachment 83270

At my facility, our interpretation of the above, was that the flight plan information in an air file included everything on a 7233-1 or DD-175. So that’s name, phone number, color aircraft etc. That’s recorded information for SAR purposes, not anything to type into the FDIO because it doesn’t accept that crap anyway. What I found funny is, we needed that for enroute air files but a local pop up (abbreviated IFR flight plan) didn’t require any of it. :confused:
Center Controller here. I think it's weird too but Center is required to get the flight information on a recorded line but approaches do not. It can really plug up the frequency when someone is trying to fumble through an IFR flight plan. Imagine having an aircraft on a heading for an ILS and someone takes a minute or two reading flight info for a pop-up. The best work around is always file a vfr flight plan (even if you don't open it)!!! A savvy Center Controller will ask if you have a flight plan on file (does not matter IFR or VFR). If you answer in the affirmative, easy peasy, Cleared to KABC via direct...... The fact of the matter is that flight plan info can be searched by Flight Data for SAR in the event that you go down. On cross country flights I normally just file IFR but if I don't, I make sure to at least put a VFR flight plan in. That will allow a pop-up IFR with any facility.

Sorry for being late to the party. If you ask me for a pop up all I’m going to need is your callsign, type aircraft, altitude and request (i.e. climb/descend through a thin layer, RNAV 27 at XYZ, etc). I have heard (center controllers specifically) others request more while flying the country. I like the min required to get everyone to the finish line.
Approach is different for some reason, which I'd like to figure out. Here are ZKC and any other center its quite the process including adding having to add what Facility and Sector the airfile took place in the remarks section of the strip. Hey, looking forward to the new paint scheme on the 310! We have a lot of pilot/controllers here at ZKC. You should come down sometime!

Hey, looking forward to the new paint scheme on the 310! We have a lot of pilot/controllers here at ZKC. You should come down sometime!
We’d love to have a reason to fly down for some BarBQ and drinks. We’ll plan something after I get her back. Thanks for the invite!!

We’d love to have a reason to fly down for some BarBQ and drinks. We’ll plan something after I get her back. Thanks for the invite!!
I can gather a group with my Comanche, my buddies Mooney and an RV7. Whole bunch of planes you could hang out with. Look up We-B-Smokin at K81, it's on the field and awesome BBQ (possibly the best in KC area)! Worst thing is that it's only an 8min flight for me based out of KLXT... barely gets the oil warm.

I was wondering if anything from up above has come out about this in your briefings, R&I. If so, was it a C90 thang, regional or national.

If it helps, you want them to have your cell phone and you want to forget to put your cell phone in airplane mode.

If you crash, ATC knows where you left their scope and can get you down to about a square mile or so. The cell tracking team can triangulate your position down to +/-10 meters.

Do you guys and gals not at Centers have to deal much with the “security” inquisition that has to happen for a divert?

Years ago my wife wasn’t too impressed that I had to tell ZDV that she needed to pee, to save the world from terrorists attacking the high value target of Alamosa, CO. LOL!

Back