Taking Elderly Flying

Aaron Trueblood

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
MontanaPilot21
Hello all, I plan on being fully certified by the end of the month on birthday. In preparation I was wondering if anyone had any tips on taking older folks in small airplanes. I'm hoping to take my grandpa flying once I'm licensed. This won't be a cross country or anything. Just local, and I would make sure there was no wind, pretty clear day, no turbulence expected etc.

Depending on the his age, his legs may not work so great anymore and you may need/want to have a second person available to help fold him into the airplane. I helped my buddy get a former military pilot who just a few years ago stopped giving BFRs into his 152. The guy was 96 at the time and delighted to fly but he just couldn't get his legs in by himself so I helped him in and out.

How mobile are they?

Early 80's, pretty mobile and in shape for his age. Biggest problem would be getting him in and out initially which also dives into the issue of a possible emergency and getting out in time.

Be careful getting them loaded in. Their bodies aren't as flexible as they used to be. Be sure to ask them how stable their stomachs are and if they can deal with some bumps.

I took my brother-in-law's mom, all of 82 years old, up for a ride in the Super Decathlon. Getting her in the back seat was a bit of a trick, but once there she was fine. We even did a roll and she loved it.

If you’re flying a high wing, it shouldn’t be a problem getting them in and out.

I took my 89 year old mom (who has a really bad back) up in a Skycatcher. I brought along a small fold-up step to make it easier for her to get in and out of the plane. Check to see how long they can sit still and build your flight around that time. My mom was good for about an hour so I made sure the flight only took about 45 minutes from start to end.

Limit your altitude. By that, I mean don't take them up to 10K to get the panoramic view. Their O2 carrying capacity may not be as robust as yours.

The biggest issue you may have is loading and unloading, my father in law is 78 and likes flying with me, but he has a very hard time getting in and out of the plane. I brought a small plastic step to help, but he really struggles. I’m not sure he’ll be able to fly with me again. His legs are pretty weak and he’s a big guy, 6’3 280 or so.

If I couldn't ski and pilot at his age my life would already have been over. Age is just a suggestion; condition is everything.

If I couldn't ski and pilot at his age my life would already have been over. Age is just a suggestion; condition is everything.

^This

My wife and I were at dinner a week ago with another couple. I thought they were both older. Turns out the wife may actually be younger than me (I thought she was between my age and my wife's age) and the husband was maybe only a year older than my wife (she's older than me). He looked several years old than my wife.

My MIL and FIL were in terrible shape by 80 and passed away in their earlier and mid 80's. Bob flies a 182 in back country turf runways and he's ~85. Al is about ~85 as well and he flies Angel Flight missions almost weekly.

I run 5K's, 10K's and short triathlons, not to win (I'm not fast), but to stay in shape. I don't just want to survive into my 90's, I want to enjoy those years too.

An acquaintance of mine, Klaus Obermeyer of Aspen swims everyday and skis often. He just had his 100th birthday. Since one skis up to 12,000' altitude can't be all that bad. It's condition not age.

I took my mom up a couple years back, she wasnt much mobile and i fly a low wing. it took me assistance of 2 people to get her in and 3 to get her out. that wasnt the biggest concern i had, my biggest concern was emergency egress if required would have been impossible.

she never told me this in person, but she told this to many of her friends that she was so proud that her son was the "Captain"

make sure you have help present at the airport while loading and unloading, its better if you are renting a high wing. do it, he will be proud and this is one of the flights you will never forget.

It all depends on the person. Back when I was cool I took an 85 year old lady on a skydive and she hopped in the plane with very little help.... I have also refuses to take people on skydives because I thought they would not be safe. Age is just a number... except for ATC and airline pilots I guess.

I just took my 89 father in law yesterday. Cherokee, so low wing. Got a step stool instead of the shin buster step. Had one of the line guys near the step, I stood on the wing. Got him in the seat by having him lean against the back and slide down. A bit tough getting the last foot in. Getting out was a challenge until we just said, let's slide down the walkway on your butt. Feet out, boost himself onto the wing walk, a couple scoots and onto the step stool. Relatively easy with two people. Just for context, he walks with a cane and is not what I would call steady on his feet.
Hardest part was me getting in over him. Flew to the Shuttle landing facility and did a low pass.

Think he enjoyed it. He bragged about it to my brother in law later. The only time he looked afraid was when I offered him the controls.

I'm lucky. My dad is 80 and he still mows his 2 acre lawn (on a hill) with a push mower. He's in better shape than I am. He has no problem climbing in and out of the plane.

Biggest challenge I have when I go flying with my 81+ year old dad is getting him to accept that i'm PIC.
Dad in and out of a Beech A36 pretty darn well. You didn't mention how agile he is. If he's good getting in and out of a car, I'd bet you're fine. Enjoy the flying.

You might (discreetly) ask about the bladder, and plan your flight time accordingly. This would have been an issue with my late MIL, and she was otherwise healthy. Just needed a ladies room every 45 to 60 minutes.

Check the headset prior to flight. I flew with an older gentleman who was extremely hard of hearing and was the father of my wife's best friend. We finally got it sorted out after choosing another headset and a high volume setting. I found out later that his father had died in a plane crash and the flight we took together was on his bucket list for a ride in a small plane without incident.

If they are riding in the front seat make sure to give a good briefing on the controls (don't touch) as you should with any passenger. It is often best to have 1st time flyers ride back seat 1st especially if they are nervous. Advising them to hold their shoulder straps during takeoff and landing gives them something to hang on to which can make them more comfortable and less likely to grab the yoke. I personally know of a C-170 that was damaged during landing when a passenger panicked and grabbed the yoke.

Also don't forget to brief about the rudder pedals, I also know of a 182 that was totaled and the passengers sustained serious injuries when as best as we can tell the older passenger tried to shift in the seat during take-off, possibly trying to look at something out the window and probably pushed the rudder pedal to floor, turning the airplane into trees along side the runway.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

Half or more of the pilots I know are over 70. Don’t wrote him off because he’s old. As long as he can manage to get in the plane he’s as likely as anyone else to have a good flight.

Yeah should be a Cessna 172M or N model

I fly my Son in Laws 172M a good bit, and It’s easier for folks to get into the copilot seat of my Mooney because they don’t have to step up very high and the don’t have to fold their leg to get it in front of the seat. That said if he has any flexibility and agility at all he’ll be able to get in it.

In addition to barf bags, have a box of Depends handy.

If he wears hearing aids, think about how to deal with those as well...in ear, probably just put the headset on. Behind the ear, probably better off without them under a headset.

Back