Crosswind landing with significant wind shear followed by icing at night

Jon Weiswasser

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
J Weiswasser
This episode of LIFL takes place in early November from Caldwell, NJ (KCDW) to Sanford, ME (KSFM), and then from KSFM to Schenectady, NY (KSCH) with a night return. Gusty winds and significant wind shear on the way into Sanford, and some rime icing at night on the return from Schenectady.

LIFL Episode 13

Great video Jon.
I really liked the discussion on the icing you encountered. I don’t see much of that in southeast TX and do all I can to avoid an encounter in my 177RG.
Gary

Perfect use of GA. Thanks for sharing.

THANK YOU!! Glad youre enjoying these.

Excellent videos. Really enjoy the aviation analysis and the behind the scenes music looks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why is the drummer surrounded in plexiglass? Is that common? I don't think I've noticed that before.

As the drummer, I feel very qualified to answer that... When I do the meet and greet after the show, I tell people who inevitably ask that its because I just got back from China with the sniffles ;-). The reality is that it is there to contain the sound of the drums which can easily bleed into the vocal mics and make mixing the band properly very difficult.

Why is the drummer surrounded in plexiglass? Is that common? I don't think I've noticed that before.

Yes, it is common when you have an on-stage volume you want to control (either because the other instruments get drowned out or if someone near the audience is trying to mix the sound to the right relative levels).

Yes, it is common when you have an on-stage volume you want to control (either because the other instruments get drowned out or if someone near the audience is trying to mix the sound to the right relative levels).

All that. And ... drummers. Need I say more? :) (I kid!) I play bass. The drummer and I always have a close musical relationship.

All that. And ... drummers. Need I say more? :) (I kid!) I play bass. The drummer and I always have a close musical relationship.

We have a drummer behind plexiglass, with sound-absorbing cover on top, on a raised platform, surrounded by felt behind him and he says to me, "I don't usually play loud, but maybe I should." Kid, if we wanted you to be loud, would we invest all this hardware in deadening your sound? That's why we have microphones on every piece of your kit.

</rant>

Back