Request

eMan . . . years ago I went to tour our local Class C tower and guess what the ATC controller guide told me to say on initial callup VFR when asking for traffic advisories? Yep, you guessed it. I think I'm just going to say, Columbus, "O-H" and wait for the inevitable response "-I-O! Squawk 1234."

If the frequency is busy, then there is no harm in checking in and saying request. This gives the controller time to prioritize.

“Memphis Center, BigBird 123 Flight Level 350 with request”.

And I’ve done that a few thousand times. ;)

You've asked for VFR flight following at 35,000 feet? A few thousand times? Hmmmm...... How did ATC respond to a request for flight following in class A airspace?

You've asked for VFR flight following at 35,000 feet? A few thousand times? Hmmmm...... How did ATC respond to a request for flight following in class A airspace?

Lame attempt at humor. But when you have nothing to contribute.......

Sooo, most of the time, here in the north east, I'll tune up and listen. If I'm looking for FF and the controller is rapid fire, I'll call, call sign, vfr request. Sometimes I'll get "say request" most times I'll get a standby or no answer, so I'll wait. If I tune up and don't hear anything for 10 or so seconds I'll just ask for what I want. IFR, I wait for an open second, and say what I need to say. That said, if I'm checking in for a sector frequency change, I'll just wait, I think the record for me is about 5 minutes, but I'm not going 500 mph, so what ever. If the controller needs something during the rapid fire, he'll call.

My limited experience so far though is different areas do things differently. For instance, Boston area, if you get a change to my frequency xxxx, you change the frequency and call back on the new frequency. In NYC, they ask you to change frequency, they want an answer back immediately or you get a ****y "Hellooooooooooooo", lol. I got over being intimidated by controllers about a year ago.

Half the problem is that we don’t speak clearly on initial and subsequent contact. If we were clear from the get-go we’d have fewer “say agains”
Which is really what this thread is all about. Minimising radio traffic

Seems to me "request" serves a purpose when the frequency is busy. It alerts ATC that what you have to say might take some of their time to deal with (route/altitude change, for example), and they don't have to deal with it immediately. Unprofessional? Not at all.

This is how I view it. If I need something that I can’t just ask for in a few simple words, like a complex re-route to avoid a line of storms 100+nm down the line, I’ll say something like “Center, Cessna 2WW with request” If the controller has a second, they’ll come back with “say request” or if not, “standby”

If the request is something simple that won’t tie up the frequency I’ll just make a single call. “Center, Cessna 2WW request (ah!) climb to 8000”

I will concede that on the initial call-up to ATC (say we are asking for FF) there is no reason to say anything other than your tail number. They know hearing a new tail number that you want something that’s going to take a little time (usually either an IFR clearance item VFR FF), so “with request” is not necessary.

.....I will concede that on the initial call-up to ATC (say we are asking for FF) there is no reason to say anything other than your tail number. They know hearing a new tail number that you want something that’s going to take a little time (usually either an IFR clearance item VFR FF), so “with request” is not necessary.

Which is the ONLY thing this thread is about and why comparing making an initial call at 35,000’ is idiotic but that’s expected from those two.

I don't ever use the word request but I also do it totally casual (and probably wrong).

Me: DFW Approach, 897JB, 3500
Them: 897JB go ahead
Me: "I'm over Lake Texoma. I'd like flight following to OSH at 7500"
Them: "radar contact over blah blah blah, Squwak blah blah"

We need a Meme. I don’t know how to make them but I know a lot of you do. It’s the Dos Equis dude. It starts with “I Don’t Always Say Request, But When I Do...”

I don't ever use the word request but I also do it totally casual (and probably wrong).

AA5B Traveler $60,000
First Annual $10,000
Oshkosh Tickets $500
Fuel for two hour tour of Rush Lake $100
Getting Flight Following without saying Request, Priceless
For everything else, there’s MasterCard

I like to state that I'm VFR prior to making a request what trying to get flight following. Sometimes they get busy and if they hear that they know don't need to get the request before telling you to eff off and all back later. If I just state my N-number, then they need to respond, then I need to make the request, then they need to tell me to eff off and call back later. Making the initial call as a "VFR request" saves them that much of their time.

If I’m busy and you cold-call me with a whole bunch of information I’m not ready for (doubly so if I miss a base turn with an airliner because you’re blocking the frequency), I am going to ignore you until I’m done with everything else I have going on. If you give me your call sign and “request” I will be able to get back to you sooner and get the information I need in between all of the other transmissions I need to make. If it’s dead, that’s one thing, but if the controller is busy you’re going to be giving the same information multiple times.

If we are discussing possibilities of reducing radio chatter I have one.... stop using VFR flight following! :rolleyes:

Why?

While it once indeed meant something else...not any more. See Pilot/Controller Glossary:

FLIGHT FOLLOWING−
(See TRAFFIC ADVISORIES.)

Must be nice as a You Tube celebrity ATC already knows your type aircraft. :)

Just watched this video and thought it was relevant to this discussion from the 5:00 mark to about 8:00.

eh, it's only 2, but let's see, I've ****ed off everyone that uses the phrase, gotten under the skin of a coupl'a sensitive little sallies who aren't capable of ignoring a thread, ****ed of @Radar Contact of all people....but if I can get just one person to see the err of his ways (to no fault of his own, it's probably just one of those bad cfi habits that have been passed on for years), then my job is done here.

@eman1200 - I seriously doubt you cheesed off Kevin.
Tim nailed it here. I have pretty thick skin. If anyone ever decides to film their flights and post them all for the world to see/critique...I’d recommend some very thick skin.

As I’ve mentioned before, I have no issues with things pilots say that bother me. Considering my job and hobby, I consider that a blessing. Just be cognizant of the controllers current workload and talk accordingly. When I’m busy, brevity is key. If I’m slow and you want to BS...lets hear it. :)

First beer is on me E!

When I depart in the special flight rules area around DC, I am turned over to Departure (or just toggle from CTAF if no tower). My normal call at that point is, “Potomac Departure, Warrior 12345 1200 climbing off of <airport-name>. At that point I get told they see me and to proceed outside bravo.

If I want flight following, I will append “with request” or something similar to my initial call so they know to expect to spend a bit more time talking to me. In this situation, I was calling them either way. They are usually busy so I don’t want to add my full flight following request to the initial call.

ATITAPA? Nevermind. I should have google’d first...

Back