Feasibility of Sharing a 430 W Between Planes

MBDiagMan

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Doc
It never occurred to me before, but the 430W unit easily removes from the tray. If I had a tray and installation in the other plane, how practical would it be to move it back and forth?

As long as both planes have a 337 showing the installation per the STC, as long as you don't fly either without it (this would require additional paperwork), then there is no good reason you can't do this. You would want to make sure that the settings match from one plane to the other.

One possible catch is that the CDI has to be calibrated to the 430W, so if one CDI is calibrated correctly, then the other may not be. It is not difficult to do, but would have to be verified each time you swap.

I’ve got a neighbor who has 2 airplanes, one certified and one experimental who shares one 530W between the two. He’s done this for years with no issues.

Only concerns I'd have (other than what Jesse mentioned above), is the potential for bending a pin with the frequency of swapping, chance of dropping and chance of static discharge. But otherwise should be workable.

As long as both planes have a 337 showing the installation per the STC, as long as you don't fly either without it (this would require additional paperwork), then there is no good reason you can't do this. You would want to make sure that the settings match from one plane to the other.

One possible catch is that the CDI has to be calibrated to the 430W, so if one CDI is calibrated correctly, then the other may not be. It is not difficult to do, but would have to be verified each time you swap.

Great point! I wonder if those adjustment is accomplished in the CDI or the 430. If it’s in the CDI then it’s no issue.

Good question, if I had two airplanes it would be a consideration. I have a 430w and a530w so for the price of another tray ,it could work.

I
Great point! I wonder if those adjustment is accomplished in the CDI or the 430. If it’s in the CDI then it’s no issue.
I think it is in the 430. The CDI is just a “dumb” unit. You set the CDI heading to 150 and you tell the 430 that it’s there. That’s all there is to it. This was just to make you aware that it must be done.

It only takes 30 second to do, though, and there is a chance that both indicators will agree.

I remember having an audio panel problem that required sliding out the unit from the panel. Apparently, even though I was the owner, sliding it out was technically a no no my me, but only for a tech, as crazy as that sounds. Does that apply to sliding out/in a navigator from its slot as well?

I remember having an audio panel problem that required sliding out the unit from the panel. Apparently, even though I was the owner, sliding it out was technically a no no my me, but only for a tech, as crazy as that sounds. Does that apply to sliding out/in a navigator from its slot as well?

Read Part 43, Appendix A, Para. C and report back.

I see that item 31 indicates it is permissible. I wonder why my Avionics tech gave me a hard time over the phone.

Because many (but not all) A&Ps and Avionics folks, and pilots for that matter, don't actually understand what the regulations say and go solely off of what they were "told" by someone else.

Back