Skylane vs SR-20, reliability & maintenance

Pre-restart 182 cruise 135ktns, reboot are 5ktns faster. Wheel pants on adds 5ktns.
There are two restarts, the 182S and 182T. The 182T pants are the faster ones. They're also the ones that are more bulbous so that you trip over them more easily.

Hi all,
I am looking to acquire an aircraft to own, and potentially share with 2 other pilots at a local airport. The budget is $150k for a 4-seater single engine piston. I really enjoy flying high-wing aircraft for unobstructed view of terrain. Skylane has great weight capacity, short field requirements, and a proven frame. The SR-20 is a newer plane with glass cockpit and a 10kt faster cruise. However, this would be my first aircraft purchase so I'd love to hear from anyone who owns (or has owned) a Skylane or an SR-20 to give me their thoughts on overall reliability and maintenance.

I know there are other options out there for the money, but the thought here is to acquire a model that is very common and popular in order to find shares/renters more easily.

So far the biggest drawback on the SR-20 is the chute repack every 10 years ($20k) and overall larger maintenance costs.

I'm sure similar (vs) subjects have been discussed here at length. I would certainly love to hear any input that current/past owners can share. Many thanks.
Of these two, the 182 will be less frustrating in the load-carrying department. If you don't want to load the seats, fast is good. But for overall 4-seat joy, you really can't beat a Bonanza.

Last edited:
Why is it suddenly worth $20k less in your mind?

I just put it on Barnstormers for $133,500..
I really don’t need 2 Bonanza’s in my hangar. I don’t even travel, I just fly for fun and to get lunch sometimes. I keep my 89 year old friends pristine V35B in my hangar and fly it anytime I want. I keep it flying and clean for him. My M35 is much lighter, has more power and Is a much nicer airplane than his V35B... But his is a free airplane to fly.

Not sure how those two aircraft are comparable since they don't share much other than having seating for 4. The C182 is more of a heavy hauler 4-seater that does most things well, but doesn't excel at anything in particular. The SR20 is a fast 172. Enough useful load for 4 adults, but you'll only have 2-3hrs worth of fuel aboard with 200lb guys in the seats. The C182 will haul 4 - 200lbs guys and their gear, with fuel about as long as their bladders will last. The trade-off for that load-hauling capability is cruising speed/fuel burn. You need to know what your mission is going to be: hauling 4 full-sized people and their things 80% of the time, or 2-3 adults and some bags for occasional weekend trips.

Unless he's comparing new 182Ts to the new SR-20 G6s. The new SR-20s are faster and have a greater useful load.

Back