Piper Autocontrol III INOP

PaulR035

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Paul R
The Autocontrol III on my 68 Arrow is INOP- seems the buttons won't depress and are locked in position. Bought it this way, but curious if anyone knows anything about this sort of thing. Anyone heard of anything like this or know what it takes to fix it? Thanks!

The Piper Autocontrol III is the one that became the Century II/IIB, right? The two rocker switches latch with power. With the power turned off, the AP ON/OFF switch and the HDG ON/OFF switch won't stay in the ON (up) position. Presumably, this is so that you don't accidentally power up the airplane with the A/P engaged. If power is getting to the unit then the switches should stay in the ON (up) position.

The Autocontrol III on my 68 Arrow is INOP- seems the buttons won't depress and are locked in position. Bought it this way, but curious if anyone knows anything about this sort of thing. Anyone heard of anything like this or know what it takes to fix it? Thanks!

Only thing I know is i've rented 3 Arrow's in the last couple years and none of them were OP. In fact I've rented probably about 6-7 planes in the last few years with Autopilots, and none of them were OP. Anyway, good luck getting a solution

Nice review of Piper autopilots. I’ve always thought my Autocontrol IIIb did a good job. Reliability was only pierced by the vulnerability of the connectors. Once these were replaced it has been bulletproof.The other issues were directly related to failing DGs or AIs.

If one is having real problems with no savvy autopilot shops nearby, I would definitely consider the Cross country flight to Tulsa. Fortunately, my IA was knowledgeable enough to know all about the connector issue.

Last edited:
My Autocontrol III was recently inop. Took it to my guy. He had it fixed in 5 minutes. The 45 year old grease on the switch button had hardened to the point where it prevented its operation. Some solvent cleaner and it was as good as new.

Last edited:
My Autocontrol III was recently inop. Took it to my guy. He had it fixed in 5 minutes. The 45 year old grease on the switch button had hardened to the point where it prevented its operation. Some solvent cleaner and it was as good as new.

Hey thanks for the tip! I bet mine has the same issue... seems like if something was broken inside the button would still press. Mine's locked solid.

Back