Does anyone use Victor Airways anymore?

In low ceiling conditions (IMC or not) I always file IFR and use airways whenever possible. They tend to fly over more possible airports and it is easier to have all backup VORs dialed up and just stay on the same course in case I have issues with my primary NAV source (GTN 750).

The ironic thing is that starting about five years ago enroute ATC does their best to get me off my filed route and go "direct"! I sometimes have to request that I be allowed to stay on the Victor airway!

Back in the old days (1980's) we always used the Victor airways when flying VFR. Just easier to navigate instead of relying on charts 100%.

You still have to be careful over VORs - they can still be the equivalent of "rotaries"!

The irony of flying Victor airways when IFR or otherwise is that many of the VORs defining the airways may to be decommissioned or out of service...o_O So you wind up flying via GPS anyway. But ATC will frequently let you cut corners or go direct when within 100 nm of so of your destination if you a low altitude flib. Transiting near busy airspace, you will either get airways or lengthy vectors, at least here in the northeast.

Last edited:
I flew along the coast from KLBX south of Houston to New Orleans Lakefront, KNEW, yesterday. I filed and was assigned two different victor airways that happened to align with my route. It didn’t change my plan but cut down on the number of things that were discussed when they issued the clearance.

That said, once under way they offered me several direct shortcuts that took me off the airways. I declined the first offer, because it would have had me further offshore than I was comfortable with, but took the second shortcut they offered.

I will probably file the same waypoints / routes on the way back Monday since I know that they will clear me as filed when they give me my clearance.

gary

I have thought about planning for V routes”just because why not?” but never end up using them. I have no nav receiver so I’m not using VORs no matter what. So it’s either follow the route hand flying using the GPS screen, or let the AP fly or using the GPS flight plan. Since I’m not using paper charts any more, it’s really difficult to come up with any actual reason to use airways. Not much R space around here. If I were flying out way to the southwest then sure, I’d use them to avoid the R airspace and MOAs.

Victor airways, you mean VFR direct lol

I wish they would get rid of some airways. Where I live it's hard to find a spot more than 4 miles from the centerline of an airway to legally do aerobatics.

Yes, I try to on all my x-countries. When I plan a long flight, point to point, I will then look for the Victors that more or less align with the route. I consider the fact that I’m usually unfamiliar with obstructions, airspace restrictions and terrain in these farther areas. When on the airways, I can rest assured that the MEAs are what they are with safe altitude limits. Also, I’m often on FF, if not on an IFR clearance, so it’s easy for all concerned about my positioning and communications to get a stat IFR clearance if needed.
But when the Victor route takes me way out of the way I won’t hesitate to ask for a direct deviation when safe and practical.

I'm still /U so I use them a lot. :(

Thanks for your interesting comments.

To answer those of you who wondered why I thought ATC should know that I'm on an airway: I've never visited a regional center, but I assumed (perhaps incorrectly?) that their screens display airspace, special use air spaces including TFRs, aerodromes, and airways in addition to the moving air traffic symbols. Regarding the flights that prompted this thread, I had been flying through that particular controller's area for 10-20 minutes before he/she asked where I was headed. Because they had already welcomed me to their area and had, I assumed, been monitoring my progress for some time, I thought they would have noticed that my path was aligned with an airway.

Anyone here seen the screens in a center to explain what they do see?

Thanks for your interesting comments.

To answer those of you who wondered why I thought ATC should know that I'm on an airway: I've never visited a regional center, but I assumed (perhaps incorrectly?) that their screens display airspace, special use air spaces including TFRs, aerodromes, and airways in addition to the moving air traffic symbols. Regarding the flights that prompted this thread, I had been flying through that particular controller's area for 10-20 minutes before he/she asked where I was headed. Because they had already welcomed me to their area and had, I assumed, been monitoring my progress for some time, I thought they would have noticed that my path was aligned with an airway.

Anyone here seen the screens in a center to explain what they do see?

I’ve seen them. I was a Center Controller. Your description is accurate. Yeah, they can notice that you’ve been following the airway. But they can’t read your mind. They can’t know how much longer you intend to stay on it so they might ask what your plan is.

On every IFR flight. One VOR, one nav/com and DME. Oh sure, it's old stuff, but I can fly a DME arc with my eyes closed...mostly. :)

I’ve seen them. I was a Center Controller. Your description is accurate. Yeah, they can notice that you’ve been following the airway. But they can’t read your mind. They can’t know how much longer you intend to stay on it so they might ask what your plan is.

Thanks! But, based upon many of the other comments in this thread, I suspect the controller is thinking "Wow, this guy is actually using an airway. That just can't be right. I better check" :)

I've only used the Victors when getting into Double Eagle near ABQ. Gets me around the mountains from a SE arrival.

Thanks! But, based upon many of the other comments in this thread, I suspect the controller is thinking "Wow, this guy is actually using an airway. That just can't be right. I better check" :)

You can expect a call from FSDO any day now:)

Last edited:
Yesterday I flew northward 300 nm through central Texas and then returned. I had flight following so ATC knew my destinations. I used the airways to avoid MOAs and TFRs. At least twice on the way north and twice on the way south, different controllers asked me where I was heading and what my next waypoints would be. It was obvious they were trying to manage separation and help me avoid special use airspace (thank you, ATC!), but I thought it strange that they didn't realize I was flying the airways. Of the 20-30 other aircraft I passed on my trip, absolutely none were on the airways. I just wonder if GPS is making the airways fall out of favor? Following the airways added 12 nm to my overall trip - but assured me of SUA avoidance.

Do you use the airways?

Near the DC area, I get victor airways assigned when getting a clearance on the ground. But I rarely end up flying them. Once airborne, we often get cleared "direct to"

Near the DC area, I get victor airways assigned when getting a clearance on the ground. But I rarely end up flying them. Once airborne, we often get cleared "direct to"

When I look at IFR cleared routes in Garmin Pilot, I often see non-airway clearances (direct, or via RNAV waypoints) that are assigned altitudes lower than the OROCA on the IFR chart. How does ATC assure that a "direct to" vector provides obstacle clearance? Do they have some tool or terrain database that provides finer assessment of the 1000'/2000' buffer than just the OROCA?

When I look at IFR cleared routes in Garmin Pilot, I often see non-airway clearances (direct, or via RNAV waypoints) that are assigned altitudes lower than the OROCA on the IFR chart. How does ATC assure that a "direct to" vector provides obstacle clearance? Do they have some tool or terrain database that provides finer assessment of the 1000'/2000' buffer than just the OROCA?

OROCA’s are not a ‘procedural’ altitude. They are there to assist pilots in complying with FAR 91.177 (a) (2) if they can’t/don’t want to, figure out where every obstruction is within 4 miles of their route. Controllers have MIA/MVA charts that are more finely tuned than nice straight line boxes based on lines of Latitude and Longitude.

Last edited:

OROCAs are for lost comms. Centers and approach controls have MVAs or MIAs that allow for lower altitude direct to flight Th an OROCA.

Back