Nearly half of Americans don't want a self-driving car

This article is why I am reviving the thread, since it's about an accident that was discussed earlier:

Apple and Tesla under fire over software engineer's fatal Autopilot crash

[The NTSB] said Huang didn't attempt to avoid slamming into the barrier, "most likely due to distraction" caused by the gaming app he was playing on his iPhone. :eek2:
Sounds like a case of overconfidence in technology, among other things.

Not sure if this is more funny, just wrong, mean or correct. Very conflicting statement....Tim

Trusting technology 100% that is not fully developed is not the brightest thing to do. I am extremely leery of self-driving cars at this point and don’t believe all the hype that it’s good to go. You still must monitor 100% of the autonomous vehicle’s decisions.

I am extremely leery of self-driving cars at this point and don’t believe all the hype that it’s good to go. You still must monitor 100% of the autonomous vehicle’s decisions.
No one is claiming the current technology is good to go.

If the deceased driver was playing a game on his phone at 70 mph, he apparently thought the technology was "good to go."

One problem the incident illustrates is how to keep the human in the car alert enough to quickly take over when necessary.

For the ultimate arm chair motorcycle rider....

No, thank you. I have enjoyed nearly every single one of the 500,000+ miles I have ridden on motorcycles. I will continue to enjoy them without an autopilot, thankyouverymuch!

:yikes:

One problem the incident illustrates is how to keep the human in the car alert enough to quickly take over when necessary.

C04_01_small.jpg

Electric car, so it shouldn't be difficult....

No, thank you. I have enjoyed nearly every single one of the 500,000+ miles I have ridden on motorcycles. I will continue to enjoy them without an autopilot, thankyouverymuch!

:yikes:
I was glad to hear him say that they were designing the system to help them make motorcycling safer. The way he said it, I assumed he was talking about the interaction between man and machine. I did not take it as giving you the ability to get on the bike and not actually drive it yourself. Maybe I'm wrong.

I cannot imagine any motorcyclist wanting to ride a motorcycle without actually driving it him/herself. A car maybe, but definitely not a motorcycle.

I was glad to hear him say that they were designing the system to help them make motorcycling safer. The way he said it, I assumed he was talking about the interaction between man and machine. I did not take it as giving you the ability to get on the bike and not actually drive it yourself. Maybe I'm wrong.

I cannot imagine any motorcyclist wanting to ride a motorcycle without actually driving it him/herself. A car maybe, but definitely not a motorcycle.

At 0:38‐0:48
The way I interpret what he says is: If the software does not "like" what you are doing it will take control.

Kinda like I wouldn’t want a self flying plane either. Just talking about it with a coworker (millennial) yesterday. He was commenting about how cool the UH-60M is because you can load a route in the FMS and it flys itself. I suppose it’s cool from a safety or capabilities standpoint but tarnishes the fun and what little feeling of accomplishment is left by hands on flying. When aviation has gotten to that point, you’ve become a glorified drone operator. At best, a systems manager with knowledge of aerodynamics.

This.
Though I’m still not a very accomplished pilot, still a student, flying has actually made me a much better driver. I actually actively see driving as a skill, and try to drive expertly and it becomes rewarding instead of a chore. I like keeping my speed steady, coasting to a stop as undetectable as possible, staying solidly in the middle of the lane, watching for other traffic, etc.
it’s actually fun.

Then too, as a programmer, I see lots of problems inherent in self driving cars. Not the least of which, even if they work out the bugs, and I don’t think they will sufficiently, that they think people can and will keep aware, ready to take over in the event of a failure of the system in an instant, is counter to how human beings are. It is very, very difficult to keep actively aware when you are not controlling a vehicle. It isn’t the same as auto pilot, unless you are scud running with auto pilot. Because the reaction time on a vehicle needs to be instantly.

I see problems with testing vs. Real world, software releases (that would have to thoroughly tested...and that is near impossible, sensor failure, weather.
And engineering.

Here in Norway, they are finding huge problems with the new car designs regarding the lights. They went to LED and also more aerodynamic designs, which it turns out the form of the car means snow accumulates right over the tail lights AND with virtually no heat dissipation for LED lights, the front and back lights no longer warm up, and melt the snow. So we have experienced tail lights that are not able to be seen. Headlights too that don’t light up. You can brush all the snow off (not all do this) but it will accumulate again on it while driving.
So the new technology of LED was apparently not thought out for all driving conditions, OR tested.

This is the new norm.

When get to the point, I can get out of the car and it will go park itself, or drive back home, or drive to the car wash, etc.
Then I’ll be interested.

In 1982 80% of people didn't want a "portable telephone". What for?

Is this actually a real study that was done then, or are you just joking? Because I would completely believe it if it were a real survey. I'm guessing your just making up the numbers, but if you have a cite, I'd love to see it. (Because that's the type of data I could use all the time!)

If the deceased driver was playing a game on his phone at 70 mph, he apparently thought the technology was "good to go."

No he didn't because he reported the problem with that off-ramp to Tesla and to his relatives multiple times. So he knew very well it was a problem, yet still chose to play a game.

There is no doubt the driver thought that. But how do we know that driver didn't play games on his phone while going 70 mph in previous vehicles that had nothing more than cruise control? Point is no manufacturer is currently making any claims of level 5 autonomous capability. If people want to purchase level 3 autonomy and operate it as though its level 5, that is a user error. When a bonehead flys his 172 into known ice and dies you don't hear anyone saying boy everyone claims this FIKI technology is good to go but it sure didn't help that guy. Instead everyone says that guy was a bonehead, if he wanted to fly in known ice, he should have bought a FIKI plane. If that game head wanted to go 70 while playing his game, he should have bought a car with level 5 capability.

At 0:38‐0:48
The way I interpret what he says is: If the software does not "like" what you are doing it will take control.
I didn't catch that. It all depends on what it would do. I can see some things being safety issues, but no motorcycle enthusiast is going to want his bike taking over to "save" him.

If you exceed the speed limit, will it slow you down?

I would like to see them test the self driving cars on the 1 lane roads in Ireland. After having driven on them for the past week I don’t see how the AI would handle who goes first, who backs up, who goes in the mud, etc.

I would like to see them test the self driving cars on the 1 lane roads in Ireland. After having driven on them for the past week I don’t see how the AI would handle who goes first, who backs up, who goes in the mud, etc.
It most likely can't handle such things. Yet. Just because software can't do it today doesn't mean a solution is impossible to create.

That was a problem with Google's self-driving car. It was "too courteous" and so it sat at a 4-way stop sign for something like 25 minutes waiting for everyone else (except those behind it!) to go first! :rofl:

I didn't catch that. It all depends on what it would do. I can see some things being safety issues, but no motorcycle enthusiast is going to want his bike taking over to "save" him.

If you exceed the speed limit, will it slow you down?

Precisely... and if I happen to be trying to avoid a rear-end collision at the time or running for shelter from a tornado or swerving wildly to avoid a herd of kamikaze jackrabbits (all of which have happened) I certainly do not want the bike to "classify" my "behaviour as dangerous" and "intervene directly".

That was a problem with Google's self-driving car. It was "too courteous" and so it sat at a 4-way stop sign for something like 25 minutes waiting for everyone else (except those behind it!) to go first! :rofl:

A local Closed B52 base has a large double blacked out fenced off area where they test self driving cars, rumored google. I like flying the pattern there ever now and again. They have a little town set up with all different stop signs RR crossings etc. It is fun watching the cars run the course because ever once in awhile you get to see one screw up and go cross country..

Last edited:

Ain’t that the truth. We went last May, and when people asked about the driving, I told the that there are lots of one lane roads with two way traffic. And those hedgerows. No way to see around the curves is there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

No he didn't because he reported the problem with that off-ramp to Tesla and to his relatives multiple times. So he knew very well it was a problem, yet still chose to play a game.
Weird.

There is no doubt the driver thought that. But how do we know that driver didn't play games on his phone while going 70 mph in previous vehicles that had nothing more than cruise control? Point is no manufacturer is currently making any claims of level 5 autonomous capability. If people want to purchase level 3 autonomy and operate it as though its level 5, that is a user error. When a bonehead flys his 172 into known ice and dies you don't hear anyone saying boy everyone claims this FIKI technology is good to go but it sure didn't help that guy. Instead everyone says that guy was a bonehead, if he wanted to fly in known ice, he should have bought a FIKI plane. If that game head wanted to go 70 while playing his game, he should have bought a car with level 5 capability.
Are cars with level-5 capability available yet?

Not to mention some of the Forest Service roads I've driven on in the western U.S.

Ain’t that the truth. We went last May, and when people asked about the driving, I told the that there are lots of one lane roads with two way traffic. And those hedgerows. No way to see around the curves is there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Not the best picture. Wife took it. I was busy driving.

6573893C-B72A-4224-A326-65802A0C079D.jpeg

Not the best picture. Wife took it. I was busy driving.

Looks very familar. Hedgerows right to the edge of the road.

My wife was banished to the back seat early on the first day. Our son was much less inclined to be gasping and and yelling “look out” all the time due to the unfamilar sight picture, so he moved up front. The wife was much calmer back there, and I was much more relaxed and able to focus on the driving. Our son knew when to speak up and when to shut up. Win-win all the way around.

It is fun watching the cars run the course because ever once in awhile you get to see one screw up and go cross country..

Cool..!!!

I like that because I have been known to do the same thing...

Which then activates the off road alarm...... AKA the wife....

Back