Logging PIC Time (Tow Pilot Training)

ilpilot

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
ilpilot
Good evening,

I was approached about becoming a tow pilot by a glider club near me. I have my PPL and tailwheel endorsement. A little over 100 hours total, around 65 of which are PIC.

Per the FARs, you need 100 hours PIC in order to receive the tow endorsement. My question is, while doing training with the tow pilot, if am the sole manipulator of the controls (as I would be during training), could I log that as PIC?

Kind of like how a non-tailwheel endorsed ASEL pilot can log PIC during their tailwheel training if flying a SEL...does the same logic apply here? Thanks folks.

Thank you. Does your answer change if the tow pilot instructing me is not a CFI?
The rules of logging PIC are not based on whether or not you are being trained, nor by whom.

Here it is, not even snipped, although with emphasis:

1) A sport, recreational, private, commercial, or airline transport pilot may log pilot in command flight time for flights

(i) Except when logging flight time under §61.159(c), when the pilot is the sole manipulator of the controls of an aircraft for which the pilot is rated, or has sport pilot privileges for that category and class of aircraft, if the aircraft class rating is appropriate;
Do you see anything about training?

Back