Tell me about GA in GA

I used to joke that most of the people from Atlanta that I knew were our kids, some of their friends and kids of our friends. Oh, and a 3 or 4 adults. :D

Now I know several people that were born and raised in the Atlanta metro area. It's still not a lot. Everyone here is from somewhere else.

For those of you who think our traffic is beyond imagination here's a little something for you. Our three girls drove the Connector (that's I-75 & I-85 as it's joined together in downtown, 7 lanes in each direction, for those not familiar with it) every day on their way to high school, and then either back again after or I-285, whichever was better traffic-wise. They can drive anywhere. And they laugh at anyone talking about traffic being heavy or bad anywhere else.

I start my day early, and try to find a break in my schedule so I can head home early. Then I finish my work day from home. That makes traffic much better. I'm a morning person, so getting up early is no big deal to me.

I used to joke that most of the people from Atlanta that I knew were our kids, some of their friends and kids of our friends. Oh, and a 3 or 4 adults. :D

Now I know several people that were born and raised in the Atlanta metro area. It's still not a lot. Everyone here is from somewhere else.

For those of you who think our traffic is beyond imagination here's a little something for you. Our three girls drove the Connector (that's I-75 & I-85 as it's joined together in downtown, 7 lanes in each direction, for those not familiar with it) every day on their way to high school, and then either back again after or I-285, whichever was better traffic-wise. They can drive anywhere. And they laugh at anyone talking about traffic being heavy or bad anywhere else.

I start my day early, and try to find a break in my schedule so I can head home early. Then I finish my work day from home. That makes traffic much better. I'm a morning person, so getting up early is no big deal to me.

My wife and I always chuckle when we're back visiting her family in Des Moines and the morning radio station gives their traffic report talking about how "235 is backed up.. Expect at least a 10 minute delay this morning".

We live OTP on the south side but I used to work in Vinings. There was a digital sign that said (every morning) "Paces Ferry Exit (the exit I was taking): 5 miles ahead. 35-55 minutes". It was 42 miles one-way but was 1.5 hrs on a 'good day' with the bulk of the time being in that last 5-10 miles. I worked with people that lived just north of Vinings that had a 45+ minute commute and only lived 5-15 minles away. Ridiculous.

Now my commute is a whopping 15 feet. :D

Edit: To make this applicable to the OP -- sounds like you are working somewhere on the north side, otherwise I would say that the south side is a bit more GA friendly with a handful of non-towered fields in the area, although one of the local airports is trying to price itself up there with the north-siders.

Last edited:
The keys to navigating Atlanta traffic are timing and Waze.
And the way to staunch a severed artery is to put a band aid on it.

But yeah, Waze is really good for avoiding a lot of Atlanta traffic. I had a drive planned that should have taken 45 minutes, but a couple of accidents had the estimated time up to 3 hours. Waze got me there in about an hour by taking a zillion back roads.

A little intel from my 1st six months in Atlanta. I live 10 mins from pdk and tie down is roughly $200 per month if you want to be closer to cheap fuel. (95 if you dont care about fuel) there are about a dozen open hangars at LZU for $330 per month. Im transitioning there next month. Even though pdk is 15 mins closer I'm opting for better shelter for the Comanche.

Edit: To make this applicable to the OP -- sounds like you are working somewhere on the north side, otherwise I would say that the south side is a bit more GA friendly with a handful of non-towered fields in the area, although one of the local airports is trying to price itself up there with the north-siders.

KHMP (Hampton by Atlanta Motor Speedway), KFFC (Peachtree City), KCCO (Newnan) 6A2 (Griffin).

A little intel from my 1st six months in Atlanta. I live 10 mins from pdk and tie down is roughly $200 per month if you want to be closer to cheap fuel. (95 if you dont care about fuel) there are about a dozen open hangars at LZU for $330 per month. Im transitioning there next month. Even though pdk is 15 mins closer I'm opting for better shelter for the Comanche.

At $330/month for a hangar, I'd be all over LZU from Alpharetta. I tried to find out about availability, they weren't very good at getting back to me. Must be why they have so many open hangars.

Everything YOU need to know:
  1. It doesn't snow nearly as much in GA.
  2. They grow peanuts.
  3. You don't have to plug in your car in the winter (unless it's a Tesla :D).
  4. It never gets to -60 with the wind chill.
  5. You never have to plow the ramp to get the plane out of hangar.
  6. Did I mention it doesn't snow nearly as much in GA?
'Nuff said...
Do not promote more of them northern folk to move down this way!!
1. It’s hot
2. You will need a plane with AC
3. Or just train a mosquito to fly you cause they are that big
4. A gator will in fact get you
5. It’s not a dry heat.

My hanger rent is $40 a month , but it's 40 miles away. Takes 40 minutes to get there. (If I don't stop for the mail 10 miles away)

That’s fantastic considering I am paying more than that here at the moment and it’s an adventure taking the plane out and put her back in over 2 inch of rock solids ice

Which airport?
KSBX T hanger sliding doors . The older Bi-Fold door hanger are $175 but full , the newer ones are $265 per month also full and a waiting list. Some of my hanger neighbors have not had their aircraft out of the hanger for years.

KSBX T hanger sliding doors . The older Bi-Fold door hanger are $175 but full , the newer ones are $265 per month also full and a waiting list. Some of my hanger neighbors have not had their aircraft out of the hanger for years.

Seems like little far from Alpharetta

@Tdaf22 did you transition to LZU? love to hear pirep for hangar / MX on the field etc.

looks like next summer it is ... pending how COVID goes of course

Back