Any PIREPS on Venture North in Cloquet, MN?

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
I am considering using Venture North for one of their accelerated finish up programs. A few local CFI-A and CFI-I's have had some positive things to say about them.

Anyone amongst the PoA crowed have experiences with them?

Yesterday at this time in Cloquet it was -17, this morning it's a balmy 7 above, bring your long johns, winter ain't over yet.
I would guess there's a lot of IFR, sometimes for days in the spring up there in and around Duluth and Lake Superior.

Last edited:
I live a few hours west of Cloquet. Was a balmy -18 a couple days ago, with 30 degrees this weekend. Flying in the next month or two, to finish CFI should not be a problem.

No personal experiences with Venture North, but I might use them for my CFI in August, if they can get me on the schedule. I've spoken to their owner/DPE and he might be doing my commercial ride in the next month. They have a pretty good reputation and I would say you cannot go wrong with them.

There is a newer outfit in KAEL in Southern MN, who also offer a 10 day accelerated CFI program. They seemed pretty competent when I spoke to them on the phone a week or two ago.

A friend on the field finished his PPL with them and then did his accelerated IR with them. Sounded like it was study, fly, study, fly, study, study and nice to have the DPE onsite.

The nice part about March is that sunset times are finally just about perfect for training flying. You can easily log a few night hours before 10pm but also get in a nice long day of flying. The air in March should still be smooth unlike April and May when the snow clears out. Today was unusual with high 30's on the ground and inversion and 48F yo at 3500msl. We were doing two photoshoots today at 2400msl and the air was so smooth. Gonna miss that once the snow thaws and the black fields start getting the sun.

Also some weird winds. The winter surface vs winds aloft can be crazy. I was yaw'd about 40 degrees on downwind today but only 7kts at the surface. And at just 3500msl the old skyline was doing 182mph groundspeed (ironic) and that was all leaned out, dialed back just a bit and prop out a bit!

Bring a hat and sunglasses, the glare from the snow is crazy. If you arent able to hangar your plane let us know and we can give you some winter heating ideas. For dress it's all about layers. In the 182, even as low as -8f I just wear a tshirt, light sweatshirt, Jean's and light boots or tennis shoes. But have a heavy coat, cap and gloves along for when you get out. I always have a set of yak tracks in the trunk for being around our north facing POS ice rink hangar. Not sure if their rentals have good CO detectors but if you have a good one in your plane I'd bring it with since you'll be cabin heating on all flights. I also keep a simple pair of light touchscreen gloves in the plane. It seems like the yoke stays frozen 20 minutes longer than everything else LOL.

Alterations of plan..... may not happen as desired.

I called Friday and spoke with Bill. No slots available until late May. They are experiencing the "good" problem of high demand for their services.

I called Friday and spoke with Bill. No slots available until late May. They are experiencing the "good" problem of high demand for their services.

Oh goody, thunderstorm and tornado season, but you're no stranger to those.

Yahoo...you should avoid the nasty cold wx! But then again its probably snowed up there in late May.

I remember a few years ago we had a blizzard on may 28 th

You might wanna look into Livingston Aviation in Waterloo, IA. I don't have a personal recommendation, but I was told to go there (haven't yet) by two of my Minneapolis area CFI friends turned airline pilots. DPE is flight school owner. But....they are also very popular so you might face the same problem as at Venture North with scheduling.

You might wanna look into Livingston Aviation in Waterloo, IA. I don't have a personal recommendation, but I was told to go there (haven't yet) by two of my Minneapolis area CFI friends turned airline pilots. DPE is flight school owner. But....they are also very popular so you might face the same problem as at Venture North with scheduling.

dont know about the DPE, but the FBO is pretty awesome. During our overnight stay they gave us a courtesy car overnight, arranged for a inexpensive hotel with free hot breakfast and @Sinistar almost married the reception lady

Back