Remote Identification of Unmanned Aircraft Systems

I haven't read the whole proposal but it sounds like overkill to me. Then again, I'm a responsible drone pilot that tries not to do stupid things to force big brother to create more rules.

WAY WAY WAY effing overkill. Beyond stupid requirements for separate ID things in each and every RC aircraft - You thought ADS-B was expensive? How many airplanes do you own? RC pilots often own dozens. Plus it will be an enforcement nightmare.

But, as overkill as it is, expect no safety improvement at all (at least in terms of UAS vs manned aircraft) unless you have an internet hot spot running in your airplane.

Millions of dollars spent, zero return. Perfect.

There is a carveout for "FAA-recognized identification areas" aka "a flying site that has been established withing the programming of a community-based organization" aka AMA flying fields.

There is a carveout for "FAA-recognized identification areas" aka "a flying site that has been established withing the programming of a community-based organization" aka AMA flying fields.
Yea. Great. It's only 20 miles to the nearest field from my house. But don't worry, the NIMBYs will soon have that shut down.

And, so much for kids flying out of a park.

But it will make it easier for the cops to track down people who comply with the regulations.

Overreacting by the FAA just like the useless registration requirement and the 400 ft limit that they’ve placed on 101 flyers last year. If Amazon wants to track their drone packages then fine, use some sort of tracking service but to implement that for 101 ops as well is ridiculous. No way they’ll be able to coordinate this tracking system with ATC either. It would be like having birds with remote ID. The radar scope would be a mess.

It’ll be pretty hard to catch folks who don’t comply. What’s the point? If you’re going to do something nefarious, the transponder will be off for sure.

I’m on the fence. I have a buddy who flies medevac and they couldn’t take off last week due to a drone flying around and company sop. Let me see if I can dig up the photos he took of it.

Back