FIRC - iPad

denverpilot

Tied Down
Display Name

Display name:
DenverPilot
Alright CFIs... online FIRC software implementations...

There’s very little chance I’ll use the stupid thing, considering the current medical state.

But...

I’m not letting the CFI cert lapse. For now anyway.

So...

The question at hand is... and the Googles are failing on this one...

Which online FIRC works on an iPad?

Any browser. (I usually use Chrome in iOS but don’t care - whatever works.)

Quick search says some of these things are still using Adobe Flash?!

Hell no. I’m not installing that garbage on anything if I can avoid it. Nassssty.

(We ban that and even actively remove it from machines when the software inventory software finds it at work...

And if for some horrid reason they’re all using it, I’ll load a VM to contain that virus. LOL.)

Prefer not to spend 12/16 hours at the desktop machine. Literally painful for me these days. :(

Can drag around a full sized laptop if I have to.

Hell, I’ll buy a real android tablet if I have to. Haha.

Plenty of options but iPad preferred.

So... What’cha got, internet hive mind? :) Anybody done it?

Thanks.

Just renewed 2 weeks ago -- I've used AceCFI for 4 renewals now. I didn't try it on my iPad, but it doesn't use flash because I did it all in Chrome and it didn't bleat.

Super efficient and I let them do my IACRA renewal, which has been a same-day temporary license via email each time. The material is as good as any other traffic school^B^B^B^B^B^BFAA Renewal Course. I understand they ALL enforce the timer now, so no single-day renewal. It plays very nicely in the corner of a second monitor, park it there, then you can come in for the last 5 minutes, read, quiz, pass, and repeat for all 16 modules.

Not an endorsement per se, but an option. :D

AOPA's eFIRC worked for me on both laptop and ipad, don't recall if they use adobe or not.
(And, I'd strongly recommend never letting your CFI lapse.....it's just too easy to renew, compared to the ordeal of another checkride!)

I use the American Flyers course, and it seems to do fine with an iPad.

There’s very little chance I’ll use the stupid thing, considering the current medical state.
(And, I'd strongly recommend never letting your CFI lapse.....it's just too easy to renew, compared to the ordeal of another checkride!)
Agreed. Use the stupid thing. You worked hard for it; don't give it up when it's so easy to keep it. Remember that if you can get in and out of the airplane you can teach so long as you don't have to act as PIC or as a required crewmember (we'll leave out the light sport/BasicMed equation).

I use the browser-based AOPA eFIRC. Pretty painless.

Agreed. Use the stupid thing. You worked hard for it; don't give it up when it's so easy to keep it. Remember that if you can get in and out of the airplane you can teach so long as you don't have to act as PIC or as a required crewmember (we'll leave out the light sport/BasicMed equation).

Appreciate the sentiment but the right hand continues to go downhill and the pain management drugs are disqualified and necessary at this point.

I can’t teach on those. PIC or not, that’s not good.

Renewal this time... but if it’s worse in two years than where it is now, it’ll be fairly pointless.

Sorry to hear, I can understand. As I approach "short final" towards retirement, I thought I'd be able to dabble in occasional instructing. But, I realize that I may not be able to afford the expense for annual exams required by FAA to keep my SI medical. So, instruction limited to non-PIC, might amount to a small handful of Flight Reviews per year. Ground school might still be a possibility, but, here in a small town, there is no activity there. I'll have to decide as the years go by, but for now, I intend to do continued renewals, whether active or not.
That said, I believe American Flyers offers a onetime price that's good for life (the folks that have used AF may chime in?), might be worth considering, at least it would reduce the expense.

Sorry to hear, I can understand. As I approach "short final" towards retirement, I thought I'd be able to dabble in occasional instructing. But, I realize that I may not be able to afford the expense for annual exams required by FAA to keep my SI medical. So, instruction limited to non-PIC, might amount to a small handful of Flight Reviews per year. Ground school might still be a possibility, but, here in a small town, there is no activity there. I'll have to decide as the years go by, but for now, I intend to do continued renewals, whether active or not.
That said, I believe American Flyers offers a onetime price that's good for life (the folks that have used AF may chime in?), might be worth considering, at least it would reduce the expense.
Isn't BasicMed an option for you? Avoidance of expensive SI tests is probably the best benefit of BasicMed.

Isn't BasicMed an option for you? Avoidance of expensive SI tests is probably the best benefit of BasicMed.

Absolutely. One can instruct on BasicMed. No need for a 2nd class medical to be a CFI.

Absolutely. One can instruct on BasicMed. No need for a 2nd class medical to be a CFI.
As a general FYI, a CFI hasn't needed anything more than a third class medical since at least October 1991. At that time the reg said a CFI acting as PIC or required crew needed an "appropriate medical certificate," and there were two conflicting Chief Counsel interpretations that year, the latter of one which said only a third class was required). The one saying no medical certificate is needed at all if not PIC or required crew goes back to 1977)

Back