Homemade rocketry gone awry

Darwin comes to mind...

So I guess we learned NOT to put our landing chute in the exhaust path of our steam rocket. Progress.

(I'm assuming he'd have been fine without that little malfunction. Pity no backup chute in play.)

And to think, he could have just rented a 172 and seen the same thing all while avoiding turning into a lawn dart.

I read that he said at 5,000' he could prove the earth was flat. What I never could figure out was with mountains all around him over 5,000' tall, why not just go to the top of one of those?

I wonder how he got the nickname “Mad Mike”?? Gotta hand it to him, he didn’t give up!

I read that he said at 5,000' he could prove the earth was flat. What I never could figure out was with mountains all around him over 5,000' tall, why not just go to the top of one of those?
There are genuine flerfers and troll flerfers. This guy may have been the real thing.

“The limo driver had been vowing since 2017 to ride his rocket into the air, in part to get high enough to confirm his totally incorrect belief that the Earth is flat.

He had two failed launch dates but in March 2018 managed to get 1,800 feet in the air above the Mojave Desert before parachuting back down in the nose cone, making a hard landing, according to Space.com.

“I'm tired of people saying I chickened out and didn't build a rocket. I'm tired of that stuff. I manned up and did it,” he said at the time.

In August 2019, he tried again—hoping to reach 5,000 feet, but the boiler he bought on Craigslist reportedly conked out and the mission was aborted.”

They won’t call him a chicken anymore. So that’s something.
Press article is clearly biased, “totally incorrect belief...”, I think they could have left out the “totally incorrect” part. Buying rocket parts off of Craigslist, maybe NASA should try that as a cost saving option.

... Press article is clearly biased, “totally incorrect belief...”, I think they could have left out the “totally incorrect” part. ...
That's a tough one; it is a biased statement, but it's also true.

Do you have to go through the DAR/FAA process to register a homemade rocket, or do regulations even exist on the flat earth?

Just curious.

failing-with-fireworks-13-gifs-11.gif

For the sake of conversation. I find it interesting that there was a film crew making a documentary about him when this happened. How much external pressure to pull this off comes from the outside cameras?? It has to push him harder to perform vs looking at what you built and say hell no.

The point of impact did look flat, so I guess he proved his point:D.

Best thing about this dude's shenanigans, is that no one else died in the process!

I blame The Discovery Channel. They should stick to looking and looking and looking for aliens and bigfoot and never finding any.

RIP, Mike Hughes. Thanks for making the world a bit more interesting.

Do you have to go through the DAR/FAA process to register a homemade rocket, or do regulations even exist on the flat earth?
Not if you're just going to use it once... which most of us thought was a forgone conclusion.

The earth is flat and space is curved. He just skipped Newton.

I went to my local electrical supply for some non-certified crimp connectors (they had better ones at Home Depot). Overheard an extended argument about whether man has ever been to space and how the moon landing was a simulation. Took me awhile to confirm that it was a serious discussion and that the conspiracy side was winning.

I finished up my transaction and after visually checking the path to the exit door, I energetically joined the discussion. After sharing my bonafides and making the case for yes, the space program was real and we really did those things, it occurred to me that none of these people were born when we landed on the moon.

I hoped I was entertaining but I don’t think I changed anyone’s mind.

...I remember when Evil Kenevel tried jumping the Snake River in a rocket and his chute immediately opened on launch.

crazy stuff

...I remember when Evil Kenevel tried jumping the Snake River in a rocket and his chute immediately opened on launch.

crazy stuff
I remember as a kid exactly where I was when I heard that his attempt had failed. While I enjoyed watching his jumps, I always thought that it was a really strange "jump". It was technically not a jump. It was a launch.

crazy stuff

Having lived a couple blocks from him and his butthole sons in the early 70s I was always mildly amused by his failures.

I remember as a kid exactly where I was when I heard that his attempt had failed. While I enjoyed watching his jumps, I always thought that it was a really strange "jump". It was technically not a jump. It was a launch.

Didn’t his son break all his records, including doing a canyon jump with a motorcycle?

Real world I don’t think anyone actually thinks the earth is flat, it’s just a epic troll fest.

This dude was more a evil knevil type, probably just used the flat earth thing to get more views, and it worked.

That said, he might be dead but at least no one will say he was meek.

Living a exciting life and meeting your maker at 64 in your own rocket launch!
Sounds waaaay smarter than kicking the bucket at 90 on your back in your own filth after a loooong “career” in a office, having never done anything anyone would care to read about.

Sad he died, but even in death at 64 he lived more than I’d wager most on this forum.

RIP

Im not sure awry is the right word.... did anyone hear about his plan and say, "yeah... that will probably go well"?

Having lived a couple blocks from him and his butthole sons in the early 70s I was always mildly amused by his failures.
Lol, yeah, seems it's better to watch most of these celebrity types from afar rather than up close and personal.

The earth is flat and space is curved. He just skipped Newton.

I went to my local electrical supply for some non-certified crimp connectors (they had better ones at Home Depot). Overheard an extended argument about whether man has ever been to space and how the moon landing was a simulation. Took me awhile to confirm that it was a serious discussion and that the conspiracy side was winning.

I finished up my transaction and after visually checking the path to the exit door, I energetically joined the discussion. After sharing my bonafides and making the case for yes, the space program was real and we really did those things, it occurred to me that none of these people were born when we landed on the moon.

I hoped I was entertaining but I don’t think I changed anyone’s mind.
“The glory which is built upon a lie soon becomes a most unpleasant incumbrance. … How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and how hard it is to undo that work again!” — Sammy Clemens

[QUOTE="James331, post: 2881123, member: 18843"

This dude was more a evil knevil type, probably just used the flat earth thing to get more views, and it worked.
[/QUOTE]

Sponsors. The word you were looking for. LOL.

There was some idiot HUD manufacturer plastered on one of his rockets.

I guess they wanted the world to know you could watch your impending death on one of their HUDs. LOL.

When I grow up I want to be an Instagram “influencer” and shill bad products. Haha.

Back