Best aviation headset *microphones*

denverpilot

Tied Down
Display Name

Display name:
DenverPilot
Being a radio nerd, audio quality *both* directions being good, makes me happier than not.

With the advent of stuff like LiveATC over the past decade or so, I'm sure you've listened to some recording somewhere of yourself from the aircraft you fly.

What do you find to be the best sounding mics for your voice?

For me, it's hard not to love the mics on the old DC head clamps. 10-30, etc. They're crisp, clear, and even if they fall a little way away from your face, perfectly copyable. They "push" the highs and mids a bit, like any good communications quality mic for AM work, should. They're also a touch "hot" when used in most aircraft, to my ear.

Obviously, the ANR headsets went from an oddity that only the 1% could or would buy after the first Bose ones, that ignoring ANR these days while watching your old flying friends and instructors say, "Huh?" over and over, isn't an option anymore... so you buy them.

I'm currently a Lightspeed guy, but I find their audio shaping and choice of microphone -- weak. Not to mention the flexible boom itself. It just doesn't stay put once you place it correctly in any sort of turbulence, or G loaded maneuvers.

Frankly, when I listen to recordings of how it sounds on LiveATC, and yeah, from different aircraft just so we know it's not something specific to my 182's audio panel, I think it sounds exactly like I would expect a non-radio engineer's usage of an electret mic to sound.

Full range, but therefore muffled and with too much bass coloring the audio. It also obviously doesn't have much gain, and when that boom falls down, you just disappear.

It sounds like a crappy PC gaming headset, is exactly what it sounds like on the other end. Same tech, same lack of attention to detail in what a communications mic should sound like.

What do y'all think? I'm tempted to build an amp and at least an RC filter to make the thing sound right. Even seems like I get more "say again"s out of them than I ever got with the old D.C. mics.

Anyone have a favorite headset that actually sounds good with their voice, or has anyone even thought about it or listened?

I'm tempted to wire up the handheld to the various headsets I have lying around and even some from the hangar that the co-owners own, and a receiver here on the home lab bench and record a few, just to show the differences in audio quality. I've never seen any of the paid reviewers ever really do this, maybe it'd make for an interesting article for one of the aviation rags...

Could also run the audio through the scope and capture some data on their characteristics, too. Maybe even compare to a couple of Bob Heil's mics and other communications quality mics used outside of aviation.

Probably a project I don't really have time for, but maybe it'd be good motivation to clean off the workbench.

Anyone got thoughts on the mic side of things? A favorite sounding headset/mic they'd be willing to point to some LiveATC dates and times to listen to?

(Yeah yeah, I know LiveATC audio quality varies quite a bit depending on receiver and airport size... last I looked, Dave knocks the bandwidth of the stream down quite a bit at smaller airports. But if it sounds good there, it'll sound good on a proper test bench setup too, most likely.)

Favorites? A headset you've gotten an on-air compliment out of the blue for from a controller?

I spent a while chasing what I thought was a sensitivity issue and threw various mics and mic covers at the problem. A sound meter revealed that the 162 was just loud and I was hearing the cabin noise fed into the sidetone.

That said, I tried this mic on my pilotmall ANRs and it seemed to work pretty well. Never flown with anything other than that and my DC H10-13X.

Interesting idea Nate and I'd happily loan you one of my Bose A20s for testing although you are a bit far from me.

Like most people, I have paid more attention to the quality of the sound I hear (speakers) than the sound I send (microphone) but I would be interested in genuine unbiased assessment of them

One day I was taxiing across IAD and the controller goes. "N5327K that radio...," I was bracing myself for some complaint. "Is the clearest I've ever heard. You put the big guys to shame." I was using my wife's Clarity Aloft headset whose mike I assume was the reason for the comment.

Being a radio nerd, audio quality *both* directions being good, makes me happier than not.

With the advent of stuff like LiveATC over the past decade or so, I'm sure you've listened to some recording somewhere of yourself from the aircraft you fly.

What do you find to be the best sounding mics for your voice?

For me, it's hard not to love the mics on the old DC head clamps. 10-30, etc. They're crisp, clear, and even if they fall a little way away from your face, perfectly copyable. They "push" the highs and mids a bit, like any good communications quality mic for AM work, should. They're also a touch "hot" when used in most aircraft, to my ear.

Obviously, the ANR headsets went from an oddity that only the 1% could or would buy after the first Bose ones, that ignoring ANR these days while watching your old flying friends and instructors say, "Huh?" over and over, isn't an option anymore... so you buy them.

I'm currently a Lightspeed guy, but I find their audio shaping and choice of microphone -- weak. Not to mention the flexible boom itself. It just doesn't stay put once you place it correctly in any sort of turbulence, or G loaded maneuvers.

Frankly, when I listen to recordings of how it sounds on LiveATC, and yeah, from different aircraft just so we know it's not something specific to my 182's audio panel, I think it sounds exactly like I would expect a non-radio engineer's usage of an electret mic to sound.

Full range, but therefore muffled and with too much bass coloring the audio. It also obviously doesn't have much gain, and when that boom falls down, you just disappear.

It sounds like a crappy PC gaming headset, is exactly what it sounds like on the other end. Same tech, same lack of attention to detail in what a communications mic should sound like.

What do y'all think? I'm tempted to build an amp and at least an RC filter to make the thing sound right. Even seems like I get more "say again"s out of them than I ever got with the old D.C. mics.

Anyone have a favorite headset that actually sounds good with their voice, or has anyone even thought about it or listened?

I'm tempted to wire up the handheld to the various headsets I have lying around and even some from the hangar that the co-owners own, and a receiver here on the home lab bench and record a few, just to show the differences in audio quality. I've never seen any of the paid reviewers ever really do this, maybe it'd make for an interesting article for one of the aviation rags...

Could also run the audio through the scope and capture some data on their characteristics, too. Maybe even compare to a couple of Bob Heil's mics and other communications quality mics used outside of aviation.

Probably a project I don't really have time for, but maybe it'd be good motivation to clean off the workbench.

Anyone got thoughts on the mic side of things? A favorite sounding headset/mic they'd be willing to point to some LiveATC dates and times to listen to?

(Yeah yeah, I know LiveATC audio quality varies quite a bit depending on receiver and airport size... last I looked, Dave knocks the bandwidth of the stream down quite a bit at smaller airports. But if it sounds good there, it'll sound good on a proper test bench setup too, most likely.)

Favorites? A headset you've gotten an on-air compliment out of the blue for from a controller?
Might be worth a YouTube video. Might earn you a couple bucks.

Wanna know what you sound like? Fly into an airport that's on ATClive and pull up the logs later and listen to yourself.

Wanna know what you sound like? Fly into an airport that's on ATClive and pull up the logs later and listen to yourself.

Right there in the original post, chief. Try to keep up. LOL.

Which he has. Multiple times. As noted in the original post. (Sorry if I sound snarky.)

He's talking about a more scientific comparison for those of us who might care about it.

I'm interested Nate. I've got a much deeper background in live sound reinforcement and music recording so I'm not up on shaping sound for radio comms and never really thought about it until you mentioned it here. I've already retrofit my AVCOMM headset with the Headsets Inc. ANR package but the transmission quality went down noticeably (based on retransmission requests.)

John

I like my Zulus, but...

Wonder how these do, seems they are known for pro audio studio headsets

av100_seitlich_weiss_detail_1000.jpg

http://www.akg.com/pro/p/av100

I like my Zulus, but...

Wonder how these do, seems they are known for pro audio studio headsets

av100_seitlich_weiss_detail_1000.jpg

http://www.akg.com/pro/p/av100

AKC announced they got out of the aviation biz, recently, I believe. I was also wanting to try those.

Sennheiser also got out, but I couldn't get those to fit my head/ears the times I tried those, so never got the chance to think about the mic.

Which he has. Multiple times. As noted in the original post. (Sorry if I sound snarky.)
He's talking about a more scientific comparison for those of us who might care about it.

Isn't the point what do you sound like to others not what your mic does in a anechoic chamber filled with measuring equipment? We are not making rock-n-roll records in the air we are simply talking to each other to keep from hitting each other.

Isn't the point what do you sound like to others not what your mic does in a anechoic chamber filled with measuring equipment? We are not making rock-n-roll records in the air we are simply talking to each other to keep from hitting each other.

You can make both lab and real world tests, you know. I'm pretty sure Bob Heil does before he sells his mics to Joe Walsh... since we're talking rock-and-roll all of a sudden.

There's probably a good reason the headset mentioned above, built by an audiologist, got a good on air report back from a controller... and I bet said audiologist knows what the mic setup looks like on a scope, besides knowing what it sounds like in the real world...

Well using logic, a company who is in the business and well known for making the noise from ones mouth transfer well through a mixer, or out an amp, probably is good at making a mics

Wait, what?! i just realized @citizen5000 thinks our mics keep us from hitting each other! I thought it was ADS-B!

Dang, I can't keep up with his story. LOL.

Next he will be telling us it's our... eyeballs. Can you imagine? Eyeballs for traffic avoidance... who would EVER do that. :)

I spent a while chasing what I thought was a sensitivity issue and threw various mics and mic covers at the problem. A sound meter revealed that the 162 was just loud and I was hearing the cabin noise fed into the sidetone.
Recently had a similar thing happen in the 140; my zulu2's would break intercom squelch where my bose x did not. Dialing the mic gain pot down a turn did the job.

Back