Final call from the "IRS"

saracelica

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
saracelica
Not sure what the IRS stands for with the call I got today. Evidently it's the last time. They tried to call me before and this is it! I can see how older people could get fooled by it. If I had unlimited minutes on my phone I would've done what they said and call them back to screw with them. I know the internal revenue service wouldn't really call I found it entertaining.

The IRS doesn't make phone calls. They send letters. Quite a few.

Occasionally, they serve you with papers (in person) when you're the Administrator of a bankrupt estate.

But the letters are the worst. Their letters are generally a month or so behind actual events, so you can resolve an issue with them, yet get a new demand letter in the mail a couple of weeks later. Happy times...

Occasionally, they serve you with papers (in person) when you're the Administrator of a bankrupt estate.

But the letters are the worst. Their letters are generally a month or so behind actual events, so you can resolve an issue with them, yet get a new demand letter in the mail a couple of weeks later. Happy times...
It's worse than the. The boring missives with bland statements and tax forms looked exactly the same as the really, really important ones saying that you've claimed a 1040ES deposit that they haven't received.

I got one letter from them with a tractor feed dot matrix printed "summary". It spanned the length of my house, from the living room through the foyer and through the kitchen had to open the back door to get the last page in the floor!

Turns out they were mistaken, I didn't owe them a dime.... But it got my attention!

Good times indeed!

When my broker jumped from Ameriprise to being an independent, Ameriprise reported I had SOLD all of my holdings. The next sound was a multipage letter demanding a lot of money. I sent copies to my broker and CPA and told them to fix this.

Been called before by the IRS, about 15 years ago, was a question on a return, there was a mistake, they sent follow up paper work. I had to pay in mcdonald's gift cards back then...… just kidding, it was the last year we did our taxes, now they go to a CPA.

Been called before by the IRS, about 15 years ago, was a question on a return, there was a mistake, they sent follow up paper work. I had to pay in mcdonald's gift cards back then...… just kidding, it was the last year we did our taxes, now they go to a CPA.

Our 2016 return was a mess. The version of Turbotax I used really didn't accommodate all of the weird situations SWMBO's investment adviser has hooked her into. So we got a letter stating that we owed another $35K or so because the return was effed on four different directions. Ultimately, they conceded that all of our income was properly reported and that we didn't owe any additional taxes, but it took 3 years of back and forth letters, phone calls where there wasn't a decision maker to be found, and one completely unproductive visit to the local IRS office. When we signed up to visit the IRS office, I mistakenly assumed someone who could actually review the return would be there to resolve issues. Turned out, the workers there could only confirm what you'd submitted and help you set up a payment plan.

The cherry on top of the whole episode was when I sent them what should have been a final letter/explanation with additional documentation and didn't hear back for a looong time. So I called, got a helpful lady on the phone who told me that the case had been resolved in my favor and I should expect a confirmation letter soon. That afternoon, an IRS letter came in the mail. I triumphantly opened it and it said "You now owe us $40K due to late fees and penalties." A couple of weeks later, we got the next letter which said "never mind". It felt like being on a hamster wheel run by the biggest bunch of bureaucrats and idiots in the world. Oh, wait...

Got audited for 3 years in a row. As many of you know, the IRS spends lots of money every year to develop highly sophisticated models to compare returns against each model. If your return is flagged, it is supposed to be examined by a human and then you get a letter asking you to provide an explanation and additional information about the challenged area. My IRS friends tell me there is no human intervention and it’s all done by machines because of their staffing issues. In our case, the challenge was excess charitable deductions for each of the 3 years. Apparently one is not supposed to give money or as much money as we have for our income. Once we gathered the data and receipts for each of the tax years (the double receipt rule became something of an issue) it turns out we underreported the deductions. Got a nice letter back from the IRS telling us they closed the audits and we should consider filing amended returns for an additional refund for each of the 3 years. Thought that was pretty nice of them.

If you still have the phone number from the IRS scam, log into the IRS website...there’s a place to reportit. The IRS and the FBI are very active going after the scammers.

*sigh* I sure wish that call were final...

I just start asking for curry recipes

No problem. Check's in the mail. It'll clear as long as Adbullah comes through with that wire transfer from Eritrea. Seems his great uncle is in need of assistance moving assets to the US. So, I'll be rolling in the dough any minute now.

Yeah I still have a prepaid flip phone. I don't have anyone to text and no one to really call. I use Facebook messenger mostly to connect with me. I'm considering getting a smart phone but I dunno how useful it would be for me. If it wasn't for my job and then calling me to come in I can't even say if id have a phone at all. No landline either.

Have fun with them next time.
This is the call that said my social security number had been hacked and suspended I due too suspected criminal activity. When I got that call, he asked me if I had ever been in Texas.

Yes, I travel to Texas quite often.

Oh we found a car abandoned with blood in it that was registered to you.

Really?

Yes, we just need to verify some information.

Okay.

Can you give me your full name, your date of birth, last four digits of your social security number and your ZIP code? This is for verification purposes.

(Made up some random crap)

(Pause on telephone for 30 seconds while he, "verifies my information")

Sir, I have verified that this is you.

Great! You said you found a blood in the car? Did you find the person driving it?

No. But we did find 20 lb of cocaine.

Wait, you found my cocaine? That means my driver must be dead! I need my cocaine back! I'm very concerned about the driver, he was my best mule. It's really hard to find people to do this work.

I'm sorry for your loss...

Thank you, but that doesn't address how I'm going to get my cocaine back. Do you have any idea of the street value of that?

We are calling the authorities now.

I better stop talking then, it sounds like I better get my attorney on the line.. hold on a second.

(Click)

I know it takes a little time out of the day, but it is fantastic fun and a great way to practice negotiation skills.

Yeah I still have a prepaid flip phone. I don't have anyone to text and no one to really call. I use Facebook messenger mostly to connect with me. I'm considering getting a smart phone but I dunno how useful it would be for me. If it wasn't for my job and then calling me to come in I can't even say if id have a phone at all. No landline either.

Yeah just messing with you. And maybe a little jealous. I hate talking on the phone.

It's crazy how these spammers work...we got a new phone for the kids to use if they go to a sleepover or something....I had just activated it and it rang with a spam call within minutes. Irritating.

I got a voicemail yesterday telling me “higher authorities at the United States were going to suspend my social security number...”

Try harder.

I was getting those IRS phone calls from a phone number that showed it was from Houston. A real person actually left a voice mail message which I saved. Next time they called I answered and started giving them a hard time and said I did not believe they were with the IRS. She replied by saying F$%# you and hung up.

I reported it on the IRS website. I also sent the voicemail and information to an IRS agent I knew. I never got that spam call again.

I am never very far from my tablet. On the tablet's home screen is a shortcut to an MP3 recording of the old-timey recording:

"BEEP BOOP BEEEEEP The number you have dialed has been disconnected or is no longer in service. Please hang up and try your call again."

Whenever I receive one of these scammer calls I play that recording on a loop right into the phone until they hang up.

Long time ago, before cell phones, I had an answering machine. One time I messed up the out going message and it did not record. So anyone calling me would hear nothing but the beep.

Only folks that knew me would leave a message.

Apparently the IRS is sending agents door to door now, for real, to try and get people to pay.

That's annoying.... they want $1 to read their story. Pfffft!

-Skip
"If you earn more than $100,000 and haven’t paid your taxes, an IRS officer may soon show up at your front door

Are you a high-income individual who hasn’t filed a tax return for 2018 or a previous year? Been ducking your tax bill? If so, you might be getting a knock on your door.

The IRS announced it’s going to increase face-to-face visits over the next several weeks to people who earn more than $100,000 and have repeatedly ignored payment-due notices from the agency.
"

There's more, but you get the idea.

"If you earn more than $100,000 and haven’t paid your taxes, an IRS officer may soon show up at your front door

Are you a high-income individual who hasn’t filed a tax return for 2018 or a previous year? Been ducking your tax bill? If so, you might be getting a knock on your door.

The IRS announced it’s going to increase face-to-face visits over the next several weeks to people who earn more than $100,000 and have repeatedly ignored payment-due notices from the agency.
"

There's more, but you get the idea.

Thanks. -Skip

Somewhere there's an app that automatically transfers telemarketer/scam calls to an AI "Siri" type of assistant who can convincingly toy with them for several minutes, until the jig is up.
I LOVE technology! :)

Somewhere there's an app that automatically transfers telemarketer/scam calls to an AI "Siri" type of assistant who can convincingly toy with them for several minutes, until the jig is up.
I LOVE technology! :)

That app might be all that it would take to get me to move to Apple from Android. It would be great fun to listen in on that "exchange".

That's annoying.... they want $1 to read their story. Pfffft!

-Skip

I can see it for free

You ran out of your free monthly allotment.
Clear your WP cookies

I traded letters about a $23 fine for three months. They added a few cents for interest every cycle, so it was a moving target.

I had a scammer call my office looking for the owner. I told them he was out. They asked for his cell number. I told them I couldn't give that to them. They said they had to get a hold of him right now because they needed to know what color to paint his new cupboards. I said green, he wants them green. They asked if I was sure. I said yes because he's my dad and I know he likes the color green. They hung up.

I reported it on the IRS website. I also sent the voicemail and information to an IRS agent I knew. I never got that spam call again.

Lot's of scams from "your SS card is frozen" to employers being told their payroll tax payment was received in error. I sent them all in for years and nothing ever happens. The employer web site used to ask for info., but now just says "watch out, there are bad people out there" and they no longer are interested either:(

Back