Instrument Approach Types

2nd505th

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
2nd505th
Does anyone know the complete list of different types of instrument approaches that you can make that would qualify for the three that you need to do on your check ride?

ACS is your friend here, going from memory, I think it was one precision and two non precision. An LPV approach counts as a precision approach. There are many different approaches in those two categories, you can probably narrow the possibilities down by looking at where you are going to take your check ride, drawing a 10 mile radius around it and looking at all the approaches in that area. DPEs generally don't want to fly long distances between approaches. Also you will need to demonstrate competence in operating the equipment in the airplane you test in. So if you have been training in an airplane with 2 vors and an ils system, don't show up with an IFR GPS and an autopilot unless you are proficient with them.

Edit: fixed, I think.

Last edited:
I probably should’ve asked the real question that I’m trying to figure out. That is my airplane only has a VOR with glideslope and a regular VOR. So I can do an ILS and a VOR approach. With just that equipment is my plane not good enough to take the test? Because I understand you have to do three different types of a approaches.

I probably should’ve asked the real question that I’m trying to figure out. That is my airplane only has a VOR with glideslope and a regular VOR. So I can do an ILS and a VOR approach. With just that equipment is my plane not good enough to take the test? Because I understand you have to do three different types of a approaches.

Localizer approach.

Precision, non- precision, circling
ILS, Loc, VOR-A
no problem

Jim K and Brian are correct, I believe. Best to cover this with a CFII though. I'm pretty sure questions on GPS requirements are still game in the oral part of the test.

@Gwt9678 just did his instrument check ride a few months ago with one VOR with glide scope and one radio. He can fill you in if he sees this.

The ACS standards says that the applicant is expected to know how to fly DME arcs and can be tested upon if they are published and available. I don’t have DME in my aircraft so is that an issue or would I not have to fly a DME arc?

Rats. I was hoping the questions was going to be - how many different types of approaches are there? And I was going to point to the FAA's IFP inventory summary. Oh well.

Yes, the standard checkride with your equipment will be (and has been for decades) - ILS, LOC, VOR. I suppose you could also fly a LOC BC, an LDA (no functional difference from a LOC) or an SDF (if you're near one of the two in existence).

The ACS standards says that the applicant is expected to know how to fly DME arcs and can be tested upon if they are published and available. I don’t have DME in my aircraft so is that an issue or would I not have to fly a DME arc?

So the better question is do you have an ILS, VOR and localizer approach in your area that doesn’t require DME. Seems approaches that don’t require distance information are starting to become rare.

If you don’t have a DME that I would read that is it is not available.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

Seems I remember reading an RNAV LPV meets the requirement for a precision approach. And an LNAV for non precision. In other words you can do it without VHF Nav equipment.

Actually RYY near me, rwy 27 has a VOR & ils approach that does not need DME. But I agree they are rare.

Seems I remember reading an RNAV LPV meets the requirement for a precision approach. And an LNAV for non precision. In other words you can do it without VHF Nav equipment.

This was discussed in a thread a while back where a pilot ONLY had a Garmin 400W in the airplane (no VOR/ILS receiver) and wanted to take an instrument checkride. I'll see if I can find the thread.

The issue came down to this line in the ACS discussing the two non-precision approaches: "The choices must use at least two different types of navigational aids." Discussion was whether "WAAS approach" counted as a different navigational aid than "non-WAAS approach".

EDIT: I can't find the thread either on here or on AOPA. I don't remember if the question was ever "resolved". If anybody else remembers it, that would be great.

Could you not fly an ILS, LOC, and VOR or VOR-A with circle to land ? When I flew my instrument check ride we had no adf, dme or gps.

This was discussed in a thread a while back where a pilot ONLY had a Garmin 400W in the airplane (no VOR/ILS receiver) and wanted to take an instrument checkride. I'll see if I can find the thread.

The issue came down to this line in the ACS discussing the two non-precision approaches: "The choices must use at least two different types of navigational aids." Discussion was whether "WAAS approach" counted as a different navigational aid than "non-WAAS approach".

EDIT: I can't find the thread either on here or on AOPA. I don't remember if the question was ever "resolved". If anybody else remembers it, that would be great.

It was probably that post I was thinking of.

Radar approach won’t suffice?

Hmm. Radar is a Navigational Aid. I wanna see the ACS or FAR or whatever it is that covers this. Moot point, but it would fun to see if it could be done.

By definition they are an IAP.

I got my IFR 6 months ago in an Arrow with 2 VOR's (one with glide slope) and an ADF with not DME. My plan was an ILS, LOC and VOR. The DPE surprised me and asked if I'd ever done an NDB approach. I said no but was willing to give it a try. Between the ADF and my iPad running Garmin Pilot, I passed with flying colors. Long story short, yes you can do the check ride with 2 VOR's but 1 must have a glide slope. Good luck!

I flew one once but I can't recall where it was. Do you suppose they have an SDF approach at SDF airport. I looked up, nope.

Currently, the two are at MFI in Wisconsin and MOR in Tennessee. Was it one of those?

The three approaches are one precision and nonprecision.

The precision can be an ILS or a GPS with LPV minimums less than or equal to 300 AGL.

The two nonprecision approaches must use different types of navaids. LOC (and its related SDFs and LDAs), VOR, NDB (if you have it), and GPS to LNAV/LP minimums, or LPV with minimums >300 AGL.

It's all in the Appendix to the ACS. No need to try to dope it out.

Back