Starter woes...

Vendata

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
vendata
Or adapter... This is happening..

Cessna 182 / 1967 / O-470-R

Thoughts? Anyone have experience on replacing this?

Last edited:
W100
With a bottle of Camguard in it the last 2 changes. Not used previously..
Engine has about 1200 hrs on it, good compression all around, usually fires right up..leaks a little oil around the starter adapter area..Possibly coming from the rear cam cover? IMG_6179.jpg

I thought I'd seen everything in my 182P but that is a new one. I can't wait for someone to chime in with the correct answer.

I have read that a worn adapter in combination with additives will cause it to slip. And if it continues in this manner it may disintegrate (not sure about your engine but in some, those pieces can enter the case).

If you are lucky, you have a failing bearing in the starter or starter adapter. That pheasant-like squawk is characteristic of a dry sleeve bearing, not a roller bearing.

-Skip

The 2 mechanics I talked to indicated a starter adapter. I'll add the engine started right up after that and after fueling as well.

A worn bearing in the starter itself will howl like that. It's just a bronze bushing, and as it wears the clearance between it and the shaft gets larger and the shaft, instead of staying centered and spinning freely in it, starts "walking" around the inside of the bearing, making that noise and reducing the RPM of the starter motor. I don't see any evidence of a slipping starter adapter clutch at all.

The mechanic could take the starter off the adapter and connect it to a battery using jumper cables. I bet it will make that noise.

It's worse in cold weather as the lube in the bearing stiffens.

Last edited:
A worn bearing in the starter itself will howl like that. It's just a bronze bushing, and as it wears the clearance between it and the shaft gets larger and the shaft, instead of staying centered and spinning freely in it, starts "walking" around the inside of the bearing, making that noise and reducing the RPM of the starter motor. I don't see any evidence of a slipping starter adapter clutch at all.

The mechanic could take the starter off the adapter and connect it to a battery using jumper cables. I bet it will make that noise.

It's worse in cold weather as the lube in the bearing stiffens.
I overhauled the old starter on my c-150f this past year at annual time. It probably has never been taken off and was starting to turn slower. A local motor repair place has new brushes for $6 (total), found a blushing rebuild kit for $40. The commutator was badly scored because one brush was worn down all the way (I only bought into the plane that tear and have been working through all the deferred items). I turned down the commutator, new brushes, new bushings, and the AP reinstalled still annual.

Consider taking off the starter motor and either taking it to a local motor repair shop (probably only $100, AP inspects and reinstalls) or having the AP overhaul it with new brushes and bushings.

Back