Suggested East Coast airports for fishing experiences

Kuma

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Kuma
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for airports to fly into on the east coast that would be a good gateway to some fishing experiences. Lake or ocean, proximity and ease of access are what matter. The last couple years have been a hurricane of constant elder care and general work burnout, and my wife and two young kids that would like to go somewhere this spring. I was thinking maybe outer banks or Fla keys?

Prefer places that are not too crowded and touristy but that have access to charter boats/ rentals / piers and a natural environment. We are in PA with a basic PA-28 Warrior for shorter haul/day trip or weekend stuff and an Aztec for longer expeditions. Anywhere on the eastern seaboard and inland a few hundred miles is fine. I spent most of my earlier years in New England and have little knowledge of the lay of the land south of PA/Maryland.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Last edited:
Hilton Head, SC has several charter options. Airport isn't too far from the marina, so should be able to get transportation pretty easily. We did a fishing charter out of there a couple years ago with our boys and it was a good time.

Jekyll Island, GA is about as laid back as you can get while being on the coast and still having some creature comforts. Not sure about 'planned' fishing excursions there, but there's always surf fishing and the pier on the north side of the island. The local kayak fishing group does at least one or two fishing trips to Jekyll every year and it's always the most popular trip of the year.

You've got St. Simon's just north of Jekyll. Same water but more touristy and developed than Jekyll.

I wish I could find some inland places with fly-in fishing access.. I would love to be able to land and hike to a trout stream somewhere in the mountains, but haven't found it yet..

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

I wish I could find some inland places with fly-in fishing access.. I would love to be able to land and hike to a trout stream somewhere in the mountains, but haven't found it yet..

It's not really hike-in but for a laid back fly fishing destination on the east coast you can do a lot worse than Sylva NC. Fly into Brunswick Co (24A) and you're deep in heart of the the NC Fly fishing trail - https://www.flyfishingtrail.com. It's also a very pretty little town the OPs wife will enjoy.

Lake Erie islands is nice. Port Clinton airport nearby. The islands are pretty fun nightlife.

Block Island RI. Stripers, Bluefish, Mahi and Tuna.

Airports?

E100-CFC2-D919-4-F01-A626-0-CCBCAB8-FEF0.jpg

On the ocean side, that pesky Gulf Stream defines things. Fly a short way and boat a long way to fish: OXB. Or fly a long way and boat a short way to fish: FLL and south. Variations in between.

I used to fly my T-Craft out to Fishers Island (NY) to go spearfishing right off the end of the runway.

Some of the best fishing on the east coast is off of Cape Hatteras. You can land at Billy Mitchell Airport (HSE) and walk across the dunes to surf fish. There's even a tackle shop just down the street from the airport to pick up your license and needed supplies and food, and a campground to pitch a tent.

just a few miles south is Ocracoke (W95) we're you can do the same.

Both destinations have options for fishing charters as well.

A number of inshore and offshores charters out of Cedar Key....KCDK.
Or rent a kayak and roll your own.

just don’t expect airport services...except taxi to town, or can walk.

A few other Virginia spots:
Tangier Island... you can fish of the beach just off the end of the runway. I believe you can even arrange to go out crabbing with a waterman. I believe the town mayor does this. With some googling you could find out more. Basically calling anyone on the island will get you in touch with the right person.

Smith Mountain Lake (W91)- book a stay with these folks and they could probably set you up with some fishing arrangements. https://bedfordlandings.com/

Gentlemen, thanks for all the great advice. I am leaning toward the Hatteras/Morehead City ideas currently. My girls are still small so some of the more remote options might have to be saved for an outing with just the Mrs. or once they get older.

What about using Morehead City as a trailhead for its services, renting a car and heading out to the Outer Banks? Looking at a sectional it looks possible but not sure what the local road situation is.

Morehead City is nice. Roads are fine, the only limitation is you won't be allowed to drive your rental on the beach. IMHO, find sometime in the shoulder seasons when maybe the girls have some time off from school (if that's in play already) and splurge on a beach house. The memory of the trip will be that much better for everyone. Surf fishing for Blues with my Dad next to a beachfront fire in the fall is a memory that makes me smile always.

I would do Cape Fear Regional Jetport (KSUT) at Oak Island NC. Just a short taxi to Southport where you can grab a ferry to Bald Head Island. Plenty of inlets to fish. Local charters and with small kids you're only an hours drive to Myrtle Beach (or a short flight) for all of the touristy things that kids like. I could give you the name of some good charters for catching Kings and Mahi.

I would do Cape Fear Regional Jetport (KSUT) at Oak Island NC. Just a short taxi to Southport where you can grab a ferry to Bald Head Island. Plenty of inlets to fish. Local charters and with small kids you're only an hours drive to Myrtle Beach (or a short flight) for all of the touristy things that kids like. I could give you the name of some good charters for catching Kings and Mahi.
+1 on KSUT. The town of Southport is quite interesting with several B&B's and good restaurants. Much, much history to soak in. Can't speak to the fishing but the airport has a great reputation for being GA friendly with courtesy cars, etc.

Can anyone recommend any places in New England within hiking distance of an airport for some fly-fishing?

Marcy Field (1I1) is right across the road from the East branch of the Ausable River. A backpacking trip from there is on my "to do" list.

Marcy Field (1I1) is right across the road from the East branch of the Ausable River. A backpacking trip from there is on my "to do" list.
Marcy Field is our next destination! Any idea if you can fish near there?

For your young girls, keep it simple and easy for a fun fishing trip. From the south cost of Long Island to Jersey Shore, you can find larger “party boats”, which normally offer morning & afternoon 5 hour fishing tours (long enough for beginner youngsters and wives). Bait and rods included. Larger boats have full size bathrooms and places to sit, relax and enjoy the ride. Smaller boats normally are for more expensive non-refundable but changeable full boat charter with limited facilities. Google fishing boats, find an airport nearby, then Uber it. In this region, your girls will enjoy more “hands on fishing” porgies, sea bass, and fluke in summer season instead of bluefish and striped bass which are much heavier for younger girls to reel in. Just outside of Verrazano Bridge; Lower, Raritan, Sandy Hook 3 Bay area offers calmer seas. Have fun!

Back