Bogus invoice from KSMO

Call them. Vantage Airport Systems "billing questions": 888-588-0028, or e-mail: billing@vector-us.com
I did call them on Thursday. They were nice on the phone and said they would contact Santa Monica and check with them and get back to me about what they say. So far no response. They said they would both email and mail out the resolution.

Well, if they're using ADS-B, there are only two possible explanations for this error. Either it's a human data entry error, or somebody out there knows how to spoof ADS-B. I checked Flightaware.com and it has no record of my tail number going back years. That's because I never file and almost never use flight following either. I just fly around in uncontrolled airspace for fun and relaxation these days. I rarely actually go anywhere in particular.

The irony is, the day they say I landed at Santa Monica, was the exact day that 276 nautical miles away, I removed my boost pump to send out for repair.

Well, if they're using ADS-B, there are only two possible explanations for this error. Either it's a human data entry error, or somebody out there knows how to spoof ADS-B. I checked Flightaware.com and it has no record of my tail number going back years. That's because I never file and almost never use flight following either. I just fly around in uncontrolled airspace for fun and relaxation these days. I rarely actually go anywhere in particular.

The irony is, the day they say I landed at Santa Monica, was the exact day that 276 nautical miles away, I removed my boost pump to send out for repair.
I've already alerted an acquaintance who lives on the west coast that his plane was buzzing about the Cincinnati area, whilst also parked in a hangar in LA. It's less than trivial to spoof ADS-B, if that's your thing.

I got a bill from Vector for an airplane I used to be associated with, but I was no longer. I called them and explained the situation and they said no prob and took my name and address off that n number.

It doesn't matter if you file or get flight following. ADS-S will still report your position.

Here's a flight coming back from getting fuel. Never talked to anyone during the flight.

upload_2020-2-22_12-42-38.png

Obviously it's an error, but my question is, has anyone here successfully disputed this crap and how did you go about proving their error?

If you lived in America, I would say you don't have to prove anything. The onus is on them to prove you were there.

However, since you don't live in America, you might want to contact Vector Airport Systems and request all information and documentation they poses indicating that aircraft landed at that airport at that time on that day.

How’s that ADSB working for ya lol

Buuuut they promised the S was for “safety” ;)

I’d just write them al letter with the invoice. Ranting about the injustice on the internet is whining.
Complaining about what other people post on the Internet is whining!

Do you have a short tail number?

Vector/Vantage say they use "Flight Tracking Radar" in addition to "Flight Plan Tracking Data". This tells me they use an FAA data feed in addition to separately sourced ADS-B data. It's possible that someone called up for flight following, but it got put in the system with an abbreviated ident (we can assume that not all facilities do some sort of reconciliation between ADS-B position data and secondary radar returns at this time). This data would get sent out in the form of position data in the FAA's data feeds. For example, you're N3AB. Someone on the other side of the country whose full tail number is N123AB gets flight following, but calls up as N3AB and it carries on from there.

Do you have a short tail number?

Vector/Vantage say they use "Flight Tracking Radar" in addition to "Flight Plan Tracking Data". This tells me they use an FAA data feed in addition to separately sourced ADS-B data. It's possible that someone called up for flight following, but it got put in the system with an abbreviated ident (we can assume that not all facilities do some sort of reconciliation between ADS-B position data and secondary radar returns at this time). This data would get sent out in the form of position data in the FAA's data feeds. For example, you're N3AB. Someone on the other side of the country whose full tail number is N123AB gets flight following, but calls up as N3AB and it carries on from there.

I think that is overthinking a bit. I'm pretty sure all they are using is FR24 or FA, which uses ADS-B and then secondary off FF and IFR radar tags for non-ADS-B. All non-waiver planes into KSMO require ADS-B now, so that isn't really an issue anymore.

If an invoice for a few dollars generated in error gets you this jack up you are in for a real treat when you have a health issue an deal with hospitals and insurance companies. Stop your whining.

I don't think it was the amount. I am glad to know he posted the question should it ever come up with me. Personally wouldn't be upset over $10. Regarding medical, don't worry, Bernie is going to take of that ;-)

I don't think it was the amount. I am glad to know he posted the question should it ever come up with me. Personally wouldn't be upset over $10. Regarding medical, don't worry, Bernie is going to take of that ;-)

The hospitals in this country would screw up the billing on free health care.

So, they never sent an email as they said they would, but they did mail me a new invoice/statement that showed they credited me the $10 and I now owe nothing. All is well, but still kind of annoying as obviously this happens a lot. I really hope somebody out there isn't spoofing my N-number on their ADS-B. I never got an answer as to how Santa Monica gets the N-number info.

Back