"free" garmin pilot

murphey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
murphey
Just downloaded the app. Turns out it's worthless unless I ante up $79 for a subscription. So where/how is the 30 day free trial? And on top of it, I have to have a fltplan.com account in addition! This is very reminiscent of bait & switch.

Last edited:
You don’t need the fltplan account, they can integrate but not required. Not sure how the trial works, usually there’s an option on the subscription page in the app

There are features only available in premium version, and won’t be available in free trial, but otherwise I had no problems with it (in a previous version).

"Subscription-Free Mode. Learn More

Garmin Pilot provides a limited set of features in Subscription-Free Mode. To continue using Garmin Pilot, purchase a subscription....."

On the Settings Page:
"No Base Subscription.
Purchase a subscription to continue service"

I'm forced to spend $79 to see if I like the app.

So Free Mode means I can open the app, login, get the About box, manage devices and that's it. Swell. Just dandy. Peachy keen. Whoopee do.

There is something wrong.

I'm a Foreflight user but was persuaded by a Garminite pilot friend to try the free 30 day trial just to compare it. It does limit the functions, but you can still do a lot and give it a pretty good test drive.

You've got something going on that is not allowing you to enjoy the trial properly.

I did a trial (again) a few months ago. Worked fine.

did you ever do a trial before and log in with the same account?

You don’t need the fltplan account, they can integrate but not required. Not sure how the trial works, usually there’s an option on the subscription page in the app
I did a trial (again) a few months ago. Worked fine.

did you ever do a trial before and log in with the same account?
Nope, but I’ve had a Garmin account for years to update the database in my handheld units. Guess it’s a call to Garmin sometime soon.

I had the opposite problem, FF would not let me even download charts with paying for a subscription.

Just tested this on a tablet I no longer use with Pilot.

Until I uninstalled and reinstalled GP it would not let me use the "Free Trial"

Create a unique fly.garmin.com account using a 'burner' email address. Use that account to login through the app.

Screenshot_20200222-100328.png

You work in the biz. You know all commercial software is moving toward a rental model!

Nobody owns software anymore. Doesn’t keep the buggy stuff with monthly/weekly/daily internet delivered bug fixes flowing.

:)

You work in the biz. You know all commercial software is moving toward a rental model!

Nobody owns software anymore. Doesn’t keep the buggy stuff with monthly/weekly/daily internet delivered bug fixes flowing.

:)
But I don't do commercial software. I'm a space cadet, remember?

Just tested this on a tablet I no longer use with Pilot.

Until I uninstalled and reinstalled GP it would not let me use the "Free Trial"

Create a unique fly.garmin.com account using a 'burner' email address. Use that account to login through the app.

View attachment 82957
Yup...that solved the problem. I've logged in with my backup email, downloading 81 MB now, step 4/13.
[5 min later]
Nope, didn't solve the problem. Same thing, must buy a subscription and while I'm at it, I can't use the new version unless I update the iPad to v 13.

I'll stick with FF.

Last edited:
When I first clicked on this thread, I though you were talking about one of these. I had one for years in a drawer after I had stopped using it. I must have gotten rid of or recycled it before I left Colorado.

s-l640.jpg

I just tried to download it as well but is not supported on my older iPad. Typical Garmin obsoleting products early.:rolleyes:

When I first clicked on this thread, I though you were talking about one of these. I had one for years in a drawer after I had stopped using it. I must have gotten rid of or recycled it before I left Colorado.

s-l640.jpg

I still have my GPS II+ (yes, two plus) that I used to find dive sites on Guam. That was before the SA was turned off so there were a few times that we had to pull the anchor back up and try again. :D

Somehow the II+ has survived all the "epochs" and it still works. Just needed four new AA batteries and a few hours to figure out where it was (it thought it was three hours earlier than it really was) but it still works!!!

I just tried to download it as well but is not supported on my older iPad. Typical Garmin obsoleting products early.:rolleyes:

You need to upgrade the IOS first. After you do this, all your apps will need to be updated as well. Then you can download it, although if your ipad is that old, you may have performance issues. I’m surprised your battery still works...I can only get about 5 years out of the lithium batteries.

You need to upgrade the IOS first. After you do this, all your apps will need to be updated as well. Then you can download it, although if your ipad is that old, you may have performance issues. I’m surprised your battery still works...I can only get about 5 years out of the lithium batteries.
My IOS is up to date but the software is requiring a higher version which I assume isn’t supported by my iPad model. It’s a Mini 2 that I bought new not sure how long ago.

My IOS is up to date but the software is requiring a higher version which I assume isn’t supported by my iPad model. It’s a Mini 2 that I bought new not sure how long ago.

The mini 2 was abandoned in iOS 13 because Apple cheaped out on RAM.

It has 1GB, you need 2 to run their latest bloatware.

Well....just got a response from Garmin support, and I quote

""The iTunes App Store grants you a 30-day free trial to the Garmin Pilot application based on the date that the application was initially downloaded to the device.""

You really don't want to know my email reply to this.

s-l640.jpg

I have one, used it for 15 years, and it still works! Right now it's in the desk drawer without batteries. Every few months I load up the batteries and turn it on so it can download the GPS almanac.

""The iTunes App Store grants you a 30-day free trial to the Garmin Pilot application based on the date that the application was initially downloaded to the device.""

Granted, I have an Android device and the Play Store is a totally different animal altogether, but all it took to "fix" this for me was Uninstall/Reinstall.

...""The iTunes App Store grants you a 30-day free trial to the Garmin Pilot application based on the date that the application was initially downloaded to the device.""

which kind of falls in line with the fact that it's called a "30 DAY" free trial and not a "30 times you use it" trial.

I also had no issues installing and using the free trial on a new tablet. I obviously didn't sign into anything so it didn't know who I was.

which kind of falls in line with the fact that it's called a "30 DAY" free trial and not a "30 times you use it" trial.

I also had no issues installing and using the free trial on a new tablet. I obviously didn't sign into anything so it didn't know who I was.
I expected 30days from the time I first opened it. Guessed wrong.

I expected 30days from the time I first opened it. Guessed wrong.

You could try turning off auto setting of the clock, and manually set time back to the time you first downloaded it.
Time heist!

Honestly that’s just Garmin using Apple’s silly in-app payment system that they’re not allowed to bypass completely.

Apple getting their cut. Their system doesn’t know how to do “first opened/used”.

Last time I checked the Apple TOS for app devs required it be used. For your “safety” of course.

Apple is a credit card company now. Hahahahaha.

Back