Cessna 150 / 152 seat mod for tall pilots

TooTall

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Too Tall
Hope this is the right forum for this question. I know the C150/152 leg room issues for tall pilots has been discussed before but haven't heard of a solution. It looks to me that with some ingenuity a person could modify the seat back so it would lean further back which would essentially add more leg room and a whole lot of comfort. Has anyone ever heard of a seat back mod that would allow it to recline more? Moving the seat rails is not an option as it is stopped out by the step up in the baggage compartment but a hinge mod seems doable.

Hope this is the right forum for this question. I know the C150/152 leg room issues for tall pilots has been discussed before but haven't heard of a solution. It looks to me that with some ingenuity a person could modify the seat back so it would lean further back which would essentially add more leg room and a whole lot of comfort. Has anyone ever heard of a seat back mod that would allow it to recline more? Moving the seat rails is not an option as it is stopped out by the step up in the baggage compartment but a hinge mod seems doable.

Nope. Sloping farther back isn't going to get your hips farther back. I don't know of any STC that would allow it.

The 150 was designed for Americans a lot smaller than they are now. I had students, 6'3" and sometimes taller, and they couldn't move the control wheel because their knees were in the way. And they were heavier because they were taller, and we'd have to fly with a minimu legal fuel. We'd use the 172 instead.

If we keep getting bigger we'll have to start using 182s as primary trainers.

Nope. Sloping farther back isn't going to get your hips farther back. I don't know of any STC that would allow it.

The 150 was designed for Americans a lot smaller than they are now. I had students, 6'3" and sometimes taller, and they couldn't move the control wheel because their knees were in the way. And they were heavier because they were taller, and we'd have to fly with a minimu legal fuel. We'd use the 172 instead.

Are you saying Americans have gotten statistically taller since 1940?

……..

C-130s, for some!
Can't think of any appropriate STC. The older straight-tail 150s are even worse. However, I seem to recall, some later model 152s had the "articulated" seat with cranks for height and tilt adjustment, that does seem to help a bit in adapting the fit to different pilots. I don't know if those seats can simply replace the simpler variety or not. And, probably, a rather expensive upgrade, if available. Ultimately, no matter which seats, you end up against the limitations of the (small) dimensions of the airframe.

****Edit: After looking at 152 equipment lists, they do show 2 different seat options, the regular "Sliding" seat, and optional "Vertically adjustable", but I don't think those were the 172-style with hand-cranks, and on further thought, there probably isn't room for that kind of seat frame anyway.

Last edited:
Are you saying Americans have gotten statistically taller since 1940?

Yup. Sure seems that way. I don't remember so many six-foot-plus guys when I was in Grade 12 in '70-'71. I was 5'7" and a few were taller, but not six or eight inches taller like so many of my students were 15 or 20 years ago.

Maybe flying attracts predominantly tall people now?

My initial instructor is 6’ 2”. He did some interesting “manspreading” to teach in a 150 but he’s done it so much over the years, it’s strangely natural for him.

fatter yes, skeletal height? Nope.

From the CDC study mentioned above (post 4), they admit it's grasping at the straws compared to the weight question
upload_2020-2-22_15-18-2.png

We're talking about a 2018 median height of 5'9, with a decreasing rate to 2018 aka plateaus at 5'9, not skyrocketing thru 5'9". In 1960?.... 5'8". Hold the phone, somebody start cutting holes in the spar carrythrough! :D

75 inchers and above have always been victims in this hobby. This isn't anything new. But they are fatter too, which doesn't ameliorate the problem for them.

They did make an STC for the 150 seat. It's called a 182.

Sociologically, taller people are and have always been favored in political and socioeconomic (sex preference) circumstances, to include higher income yields, so y'all can afford the privilege. Pay your dues! :D TC

The 150 can be flown by sitting in the center of both seats, using the outboard rudder pedals, and improvising a very odd disco move using the inboard portion of each yoke horn. Seat belt will need either some figuring out or some ignoring, at your option.

If you want to take someone else along, I got nothing. 150s are tiny things! :D

/modern american sized dude

Understood, no commercial solution. But, It does actually increase the hip room slightly. As you increase the seat to back angle, it provide more room (cubic inches) to slide back slightly but mostly and importantly, it moves you from the straight up position to a more comfortable position especially for tall pilots. (ask any tall pilot how they prefer to sit for several hours) As far as Americans getting taller, I was born in 47 and been 6'4" since hitting puberty. Make matters worse, I'm left handed ha.

150s are tiny things!
When I got retreaded (2010), I booked a 150M - when I got there, I looked inside and was like, Holy Cow! This thing is BIG inside! (Compared to Cessna 120, Avid Flyer, T-18, and my new to me ride (Merlin GT))

It's all relative.
23cfa3252e94f9e8c40489cf7d60e8e7bacd9cb6

Last edited:
yes, all relative to how tall you are. And then as you get older like me you can't handle the discomfort as well or as long. My C-150 in 1987 was just fine. The C-152's lowered the seat to increase head room, I'm wondering if that's not making the leg room a little less.

But my original question still stands for the C-150/ 152 and I so far, I've got the answer. No, there is no aftermarket solution for seat modifications. Unfortunately the best one could do is take a grinder to the tilt mechanism to allow the seat to lean back more which would help but it could open up a can of worms for inspections also etc...

No, there is no aftermarket solution for seat modifications.
FWIW: While I don't know if there are any existing "aftermarket" solutions, you still have the option of pursuing an alteration to your specific aircraft. Whether it would be a major alteration or minor would be up to your APIA. Perhaps check with them and see if it is possible to get the extra room you require like replacing the seat cushions with thinner ones or even a different seat.

yes, all relative to how tall you are. And then as you get older like me you can't handle the discomfort as well or as long.
I'm only 6', 220 pounds and 68... dunno how that compares.Edit: Now I see "born in 47 and been 6'4". So a bit more to package.
Looks like there is some room to "adjust" the seats by changing the padding. Perhaps a more under the forward end of the seat to support thighs, thinner under the butt, wedge the back...

I'm only 6', 220 pounds and 68... dunno how that compares.Edit: Now I see "born in 47 and been 6'4". So a bit more to package.
Looks like there is some room to "adjust" the seats by changing the padding. Perhaps a more under the forward end of the seat to support thighs, thinner under the butt, wedge the back...

Thanks very much, the thinner seat back is an excellent idea. And the video gives me some other thoughts. Very much appreciate all the replies.

With the tanks in that thing, that’s an awful short time between going. How much coffee did you drink?! :)

It has 25 gallon tanks, and if you weren't in a hurry, you could throttle it back to a little under 4 gph. That's an EASY 4 hours or 5 hours if you wanted to stretch it a bit. I usually planned for 4:30 and never sweated it a bit. The only time I really scared myself was getting a bit close to a cloud spitting electricity out the bottom and when I got to my destination, a full box of new flashbulbs (remember them) were popped.

I don't drink coffee, but a lot of iced tea has gone under the bridge in 76 years.

Jim

Check out the 150/152 forum. Lots of resources there.

https://www.cessna150152.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/forum_summary.html

I don’t know if you have found an answer or not. I have a ‘68 150, and my seat backs are adjustable. There is an adjustment bolt with a locking nut on both sides of the seat back, on the bottom where the seat back meets the seat base. Screwing them in makes the seat back lean further back, lengthening out the bolt makes you sit up straighter.

I don’t know if you have found an answer or not. I have a ‘68 150, and my seat backs are adjustable. There is an adjustment bolt with a locking nut on both sides of the seat back, on the bottom where the seat back meets the seat base. Screwing them in makes the seat back lean further back, lengthening out the bolt makes you sit up straighter.

Thank you very much for this. I had no idea they have this adjustment. This gives me new hope. I'll check this out. Thanks again.

Thanks so much, do you think I can adjust it with a small crescent wrench or would I need other tools. I'm going to rent one in a view day/ weeks and want to bring the tools to try this.

Thanks so much, do you think I can adjust it with a small crescent wrench or would I need other tools. I'm going to rent one in a view day/ weeks and want to bring the tools to try this.

I would bring some wrenches and an adjustable. I can’t remember the size, but you do need to hold the bolt with a wrench while you tighten up the locking nut. They are fairly small, 3/8 maybe. Nut and bolt are both the same size.

Many 150s had a cam and lever setup at that point that would allow two positions of the seat back. Those bear inspection. The thin little tabs that carry the cam shaft tube tend to crack.

I would bring some wrenches and an adjustable. I can’t remember the size, but you do need to hold the bolt with a wrench while you tighten up the locking nut. They are fairly small, 3/8 maybe. Nut and bolt are both the same size.

I will do exactly that. Thanks so much!

Thanks
Many 150s had a cam and lever setup at that point that would allow two positions of the seat back. Those bear inspection. The thin little tabs that carry the cam shaft tube tend to crack.

Thanks very much, this is what I need to know. maybe I can adjust it.

Back