Crosswind landing - Etihad at Heathrow

A very long lens can make a relatively small angle to the runway appear to be nearly 90°, and that's the case with most of the 'miracle' landing videos.

Didn’t look like he was using more than half rudder until well after he was planted firmly. Don’t think it was that bad.

Landed wings level. Looked fine.

My thoughts are how many times had they gone around previously and how much fuel was left to divert? That should dictate the level of criticism.

There are many crazy crosswind landing videos out there of airlines. Curiously they are all from European or middle east airlines. I have not seen any from US airlines. I am guessing because of legal environment in US and with fear of violating company procedures US pilots are afraid to make these kind of daring landings whereas foreign airlines are more lenient to their pilots.

There are many crazy crosswind landing videos out there of airlines. Curiously they are all from European or middle east airlines. I have not seen any from US airlines. I am guessing because of legal environment in US and with fear of violating company procedures US pilots are afraid to make these kind of daring landings whereas foreign airlines are more lenient to their pilots.

Alternate theory:

Perhaps the larger airport runways in the US are better aligned with the prevailing wind?

:cool:

Back