Adding a hold in ForeFlight

Lando

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Lando
Is it possible to add a hold at a random waypoint in ForeFlight? I feel like this should be a pretty basic feature but can’t find anything on it.

Is it possible to add a hold at a random waypoint in ForeFlight? I feel like this should be a pretty basic feature but can’t find anything on it.
No. Not sure how basic it is since it's the more advanced certified equipment which paints random holds.

Sure. I'm assuming you just want to do it so Foreflight will 'estimate' your enroute times and you don't want to 'navigate' by it. KVUO BTG BTG160008 BTG BTG160008 BTG. Rinse and repeat however many laps you think you wanna do and then put in the next Waypoint

Sure. I'm assuming you just want to do it so Foreflight will 'estimate' your enroute times and you don't want to 'navigate' by it.

:stirpot:

KVUO BTG BTG160008 BTG BTG160008 BTG. Rinse and repeat however many laps you think you wanna do and then put in the next Waypoint

This works in Garmin Pilot as well, except there is one too many zeros in your example. Should be BTG16008.

Sure. I'm assuming you just want to do it so Foreflight will 'estimate' your enroute times and you don't want to 'navigate' by it. KVUO BTG BTG160008 BTG BTG160008 BTG. Rinse and repeat however many laps you think you wanna do and then put in the next Waypoint

I have a GTN 650 that is my primary, but it’s always nice to know how ForeFlight works as a backup, for situational awareness. I guess I just assumed that Foreflight would let me specify a hold like I can on the 650 and was surprised that it wasn’t an easy process. Thanks for the info!

:stirpot:

This works in Garmin Pilot as well, except there is one too many zeros in your example. Should be BTG16008.

I’ll see your :stirpot: and raise you two :devil:‘s. Everyone knows Garmin Pilot users are scared to get more than 99 miles from anywhere

I’ll see your :stirpot: and raise you two :devil:‘s. Everyone knows Garmin Pilot users are scared to get more than 99 miles from anywhere

You sure about that? o_O:p

Screenshot_20200216-090555_Firefox.jpg

It was a GPS hold, silly :D
...speaking of which...

I was in an extended discussion about holds in a Facebook group. The original post was by a European checking on his answer to an EASA exam. The instruction was:

Hold is inbound 010° RH (1 min legs). Heading towards the fix is 030°.​

There were a number of people who insisted it was parallel because they could not even imagine a holding instruction that was based on anything other than a radial - the the question absolutely positively must have meant the 010° radial.

Those of us who trained in the days of NDB remember the difference between holding on a radial and holding on a "bearing to." And the hold I drew could as easily have been "hold northwest...on the 160° course to" as "... on the 340° radial."

Back