Garmin Pilot upgrade

Competitive rivalry at it’s finest!

It's got some major improvements. Looking forward to flying with it as a lot of the in-air functionality is improved.

yeah I'm playing around with it now (got the day off and of course it's gonna freakin snow....in charlotte!). now you're able to load departure and approach procedures, it's pretty cool. I do notice in planning mode, when you load an approach it does some funky things that I have to figure out. it'll move the arrival airport to an enroute waypoint, have you going directly to the airport, then it swings you around back to your transition and loads the full approach including missed. it's odd looking, but if you just remove the airport as the enroute waypoint, it looks more normal, painting the line directly to your transition waypoint.

yeah I'm playing around with it now (got the day off and of course it's gonna freakin snow....in charlotte!). now you're able to load departure and approach procedures, it's pretty cool. I do notice in planning mode, when you load an approach it does some funky things that I have to figure out. it'll move the arrival airport to an enroute waypoint, have you going directly to the airport, then it swings you around back to your transition and loads the full approach including missed. it's odd looking, but if you just remove the airport as the enroute waypoint, it looks more normal, painting the line directly to your transition waypoint.

Interesting. I wonder if the free trial lets you play with all these features.

Interesting. I wonder if the free trial lets you play with all these features.

Only thing I don’t know is if u need the IFR add on which I don’t think u can get a free trial of. I’m not sure....

here's kinda what it looks like:

load a standard point A to point B flight plan, it loads the origin and destination airports:

1.jpg

if you add an approach, it moves the destination airport to 'enroute':

2.jpg

and looks pretty funky on the map:

3.jpg

if you zoom in to the airport, you can see it has this funky turn going back to your selected transition:

4.jpg

but if you just remove the destination airport as an enroute waypoint:

5.PNG

it looks much more normal (kooke transition):

6.jpg

also, I think this may just be because I'm in planning mode, several options aren't available in planning mode:

7.jpg

and finally, a screenshot of the visual representations of the departure procedures:

dep.jpg

@eman1200 - I think the reason for the airport being selected as the waypoint is that you would typically be directed to the airport by ATC enroute. Once you get close, then you would get the approach/transition. Notice that you can't activate the approach or enable VTF in planning mode. Those become active once in flight.

How funny is it that Android users pay the same amount as the apple fan boyz but rarely get these new features until months later, if at all.

@eman1200 - I think the reason for the airport being selected as the waypoint is that you would typically be directed to the airport by ATC enroute. Once you get close, then you would get the approach/transition. Notice that you can't activate the approach or enable VTF in planning mode. Those become active once in flight.

Yep, makes sense.

How funny is it that Android users pay the same amount as the apple fan boyz but rarely get these new features until months later, if at all.
What are you talking about? Until literally today everyone has been playing catch up to FF since it's inception.

waaahhh.

What are you talking about? Until literally today everyone has been playing catch up to FF since it's inception.

GP has had a few features before FF, and software out on tablet PCs years before FF had features that none of the tablet systems have yet today.

The statement really isn’t true.

Examples might include (off the top of my head), pilot flight time logging and concierge for GP. For the old school stuff, a plan view that depicts weather and cloud heights bottom and top from METARs along the route.

But there’s plenty more things FF was not first out with.

Nah. He’s a funny guy. He just told a bad joke on the Internet.

Someone should definitely report him to a FSDO. LOL.

...or at the very least, "Whack his pee-pee!"

:D

(Bonus points getting the arcane reference)

How much is it now with the IFR add on?

$75 for IFR addon, so $150 all in. If you have Garmin GPS, you can get database package that includes GP premium upgrade (IFR add on).

The big (only?) missing piece is weather planning, graphical and integrated with your flight plan.

FWIW, the Android version already does SIDs and STARs but will not load an IAP. It will put the IAP on the map, but not into the flight plan.

Screenshot_20200220-143207_Pilot.jpg

Last edited:
I should probably start my own thread but here goes nuttin....

Garmin pilot notes all the minor intersections on an airway. Makes them flightplan legs which add no value. Any settings buried somewhere to turn that off?

My version hasn't updated yet. I'm still running version 9.7.4. Is there any way to force the update?

Garmin pilot notes all the minor intersections on an airway. Makes them flightplan legs which add no value. Any settings buried somewhere to turn that off?

Are you seeing them in the actual flightplan that gets filed or in the NavLog?

Not sure, but I believe it's mimicking how the GTN series works. It will show up as just the airway, but if you tap on it, it will show all the intersections. I don't think there is a way to suppress it .

Also in the flight plan page, there is an up/down arrow on the airway. Tap it and will hide the intersections and just show the airway

There is but hell if I remember where it’s buried right now. Something about only showing entry and exit waypoints.

Top right corner menu of the "Trip Planning" page....

Screenshot_20200221-174850_Pilot.jpg

Version what???

Screenshot_20200222-084626_Pilot.jpg

interesting, moderately cool new feature....

I rubber banded to a new waypoint and GP creates a nice turn for me:

0282FD6C-E0AE-4F64-A573-A6A3CB443698.jpeg

Flew with it this weekend, ran a couple approaches and it operates just like the box in your panel. Load the approach, activate it, and you're good to go. Countdown timers for turns in the approach (Rt Turn 270 in 8 Sec), split screen the flight plan with approach altitude restrictions listed at each way point and throw the plate on the moving map, and you have more information than one could ever need. If you lost your primary navigator for whatever reason...I would not hesitate to use it in an emergency for lateral guidance to help step down through an approach. Outstanding upgrade!

Back