Crosswinds at Dulles!

Jon Weiswasser

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
J Weiswasser
A good flight to Dulles from Caldwell, NJ, faced with a gusty crosswind, shows how great ATC and controllers are at accommodating GA at a busy Class B airport. Nighttime return to Caldwell. Jam packed episode with something for everyone in it.

Years ago when I was based at Dulles, I was being routed for 1L (this was what is now 1C, the current 1L hadn't been built). I realized coming in that I was holding a 45 degree WCA. I asked the tower if I didn't fly any further east (i.e. toward the parallel), could I land on 30. This was approved. About the time I touched down, a United 767 called in on 1R and asked if they could have 30 as well. I guess I started a trend. It was pretty neat seeing her turn to the new runway at the last minute there.

One Margy touched down on the very threshold of 30 when the winds were howling and managed to get turned off at the ENTRANCE taxiway. That confused the hell out of ground control.

We just flew a C172 into Dulles Monday morning about 1000 and did an ILS approach into 1R. Winds were calm. They told us to keep our speed up, so I did the approach at 100 kts instead of 90 :D. (Traffic landed a couple minutes after us, so really wasn't a factor).

Anyhow, as we're taxiing north to Jet Aviation, the controller asked if we wanted to go ahead of the A380 or watch it cross in front of us, and we said we like to watch. He said he thought we would. Once it was past, he had has taxi in behind it and cautioned us about jet blast. We stayed back pretty far. It was interesting that they had a couple security cars involved: one close up against the tail of the A380, the other between us and the commercial gates. It was a long taxi. We thought about asking if we could just fly up the taxiway the mile or so to Jet Aviation. We had tried to get 1C, but we got the tour instead (which was pretty cool).

Once at Jet Aviation, they parked us, then shuttled us over to a diner for brunch. They came back and took us over to Udvar-Hazy, then when done there, took us back over to the FBO. There were fees, but considering the venue, not too bad. The FBO was very nice and the counter ladies professional and efficient.

The controllers were professional and friendly. There wasn't a push going on so it was quiet and unstressful. Only other GA plane we saw was a Cirrus and lots of small jets at the FBO.

Attachments

• 20200217_102923.jpg
    20200217_102923.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Years ago when I was based at Dulles, I was being routed for 1L (this was what is now 1C, the current 1L hadn't been built). I realized coming in that I was holding a 45 degree WCA. I asked the tower if I didn't fly any further east (i.e. toward the parallel), could I land on 30. This was approved. About the time I touched down, a United 767 called in on 1R and asked if they could have 30 as well. I guess I started a trend. It was pretty neat seeing her turn to the new runway at the last minute there.

One Margy touched down on the very threshold of 30 when the winds were howling and managed to get turned off at the ENTRANCE taxiway. That confused the hell out of ground control.
Thats great! I actually got my PPL at Dulles, but after 1L. Thanks for sharing that story.

We just flew a C172 into Dulles Monday morning about 1000 and did an ILS approach into 1R. Winds were calm. They told us to keep our speed up, so I did the approach at 100 kts instead of 90 :D. (Traffic landed a couples minutes after us, so really wasn't a factor).

Anyhow, as we're taxiing north to Jet Aviation, the controller asked if we wanted to go ahead of the A380 or watch it cross in front of us, and we said we like to watch. He said he thought we would. Once it was past, he had has taxi in behind it and cautioned us about jet blast. We stayed back pretty far. It was interesting that they had a couple security cars involved: one close up against the tail of the A380, the other between us and the commercial gates. It was a long taxi. We thought about asking if we could just fly up the taxiway the mile or so to Jet Aviation. We had tried to get 1C, but we got the tour instead (which was pretty cool).

Once at Jet Aviation, they parked us, then shuttled us over to a diner for brunch. They came back and took us over to Udvar-Hazy, then when done there, took us back over to the FBO. There were fees, but considering the venue, not too bad. The FBO was very nice and the counter ladies professional and efficient.

The controllers were professional and friendly. There wasn't a push going on so it was quiet and unstressful. Only other GA plane we saw was a Cirrus and lots of small jets at the FBO.
Great picture and thanks for sharing. Its a great airport and yes, I use Jet also and find it to be equally as friendly.

You know it’s a big airport when you talk to 3 different ground controllers for your taxi !

Back