RNAV 22 SBM Instructions?

Briar Rabbit

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Rob
The RNAV RWY 22 approach plate into KSBM has the following statements on it:

"217/30 CW 307/30 (NoPT) and 217/12 CW 307/12 not authorized when R-6903 active.
307/30 CW 350/30 not authorized when R-6903 active."

I get that this is a restriction when the military area is hot. What specifically is it telling us?
217 = ? a radial or inbound course leg from where, JADNI ?
/ 30 = nautical miles ?
CW = ? clockwise ?
NoPt = no procedure turn

I have not seen one like this before and does not seem to be obvious in its instruction.

Its just a course/distance description of segments of the TAAs.

upload_2020-2-19_14-55-18.png

Last edited:
It means this:

upload_2020-2-19_15-3-45.png

It's an unusual situation, and there is no standard for how to present this information.

Pretty much says don't expect to fly through R-6903 on this approach when the area is hot.

It appears the hold and course reversal is drawn to be on the Northwest side of the 217 degree inbound leg. I would not expect to be flying in from the East side if the Restricted area is hot. Apparently they wanted to specifically call it out though. So it is saying to avoid both 90 degree segments out to 30 NM and 12 NM from JADNI in the 217 to 307 area in the first sentence and in the second sentence from JADNI in the 43 degree portion of 307 to 350 segment going out 30 NM?

Its just a course/distance description of segments of the TAAs.

Great looking diagram Mark!

Your attachment wasn't showing up and was giving an error when clicking the link when I posted mine. So I couldn't tell what you were trying to attach, but it's funny that we both posted almost exactly the same thing (to include the crop area)!

Great looking diagram Mark!

Your attachment wasn't showing up and was giving an error when clicking the link when I posted mine. So I couldn't tell what you were trying to attach, but it's funny that we both posted almost exactly the same thing (to include the crop area)!
Great minds :D

Not really. We just knew what it meant and figured the best explanation was visual.

In other words, avoid the area in yellow within 30 miles.

The only reason they state the twelve mile radius separately is because it is not a NoPT. The 307/30 to 350/30 is also mentioned separately because it is shown that way on the chart for the non-standard TAA (semi-circle looking things) and combining the two into one restriction (127/30 to 350/30) would be confusing.
Those are simply the courses that would intersect the boundaries of restricted area R-6903.

KSBM.jpg

Back