Wearing shoes in the house

Oh, you were thinking of me! ;) Good thing those kinds of things don't bother me. Wherever you live, you probably visit public bathrooms too...

People don't defecate on the floors of bathrooms I go to, one sign of that and I'll wait. But my shoes still do come off at the door.

People don't defecate on the floors of bathrooms I go to, one sign of that and I'll wait. But my shoes still do come off at the door.
You never know what has been done in the past and cleaned up, just like the streets. ;)

I'm roughly half shoes on, 30% barefoot and 20% rockin' my tube socks. I never really give a thought to taking my shoes off before entering, unless I've been gardening or doing a big greasy job in the garage. I've got outdoor & indoor mats to wipe my feet on, so that helps.

Coincidentally, I' getting new carpet throughout the house tomorrow. When I moved in 10 years ago, the seller had redone the carpet, in a very light beige-y brown. Cheap stuff, but it presented pretty well a decade ago. This time it's top-level carpet, a few shades darker to more closely match the color of...cat puke.

When Napster hurls her Science Diet, I clean it up right away, but no matter how thoroughly I scrub there's always a faint stain. So, hopefully, with better stain resistance and the somewhat darker color, I should be golden (brown). :)

If it is a cultural thing, ok. Not my deal, but I am about as WASPy as you can be.

If it is about visible cleanliness, like keeping mud and manure out, then take off outside. Inside is too late. And put out door mats.

If it is about protecting your flooring, consider getting new flooring you don’t have to fret about. Life’s too short.

If it is about hygiene, it would be interesting to see a study that shows whether or not shoeless homes are more hygienic.

If it is about comfort, are Legos not allowed also?

Last, if this is about etiquette, are you consistent and have a hat rack by the door and insist men take their hat off upon entering? (I have a nephew-in-law who always is in a baseball hat. The only time I have ever seen him not in a baseball cap was at his wedding. Every Thanksgiving it is all I can do to keep from reaching across the table and swatting it off his head. But not my house, so I don’t)

So we recently had some guests over to the house for a meal, a few of which have been over many times in the past, but up until this time, not recently. Protocol at our house is removing your shoes at the door. If you’re new to our place than we’ll politely ask you to remove them, although it’s usually implied when you walk in and see a variety of shoes at the door and nobody else is wearing any.

Needless to say, these individuals didn’t remove their shoes and go walking across the house and didn’t think anything about it. It didn’t strike them until near the end, that they probably should remove their shoes since everyone else did.

There’s been a few instances where people have asked why we don’t wear shoes in the house. C’mon now, it should go without saying...

I get it, some people choose to trek through their homes in their dirty shoes, that’s fine, but when you’re a guest at someone else’s home, and they don’t wear theirs inside, you shouldn’t either. Quite frankly, I’m not sure why people wear everyday shoes in their house. You walk through public places, restrooms, you name it, then take those same shoes and walk through your home - just nasty!
The streets and sidewalks are just plain nasty! Dog crap, p!ss, dirt, vomit, etc. Shoes off at the front door (inside) and on the mat/rug is where they stay until you leave! That's how my parents raised us and I am so glad they did. I follow that practice to a tee in my home and have no problem politely 'demanding' the same of my guest.

When I visit others, I'm actually uncomfortable when I'm about to remove my shoes and they tell me I don't have to.

I keep a pack of these in the closet for when I have appliance or furniture deliveries;). Others are welcome to use them as well, but I haven't had a guest who preferred to keep their shoes on...yet
hdx-disposable-shoe-covers-04614-64_1000.jpg

Last edited:
In the past, I would have done anything you liked.

In the present, if I saw a pile of shoes I would ask politely if there was some way I could retain my footwear for traction. Especially if you have hard floors.

My cane isn’t going to save me from breaking an ankle or a leg with balance and neurological control issues and weak sensory input.

Someone mentioned providing slippers but if they’re not rubber on the bottom they’re also a no-go for me. Even then, I’m way better off using my own footwear that I know what it feels like.

At home I do kick off the shoes and wear sock most of the time. But I know my floors and where I can safely step. And quite often I put the rubber soled slippers on, even at home.

More than happy to be seated somewhere reasonable and wash the soles and dry them if you allow that, too. Not going to try to get down on the floor of your mudroom and do it, though.

Might... and I barely mean might... ask my wife to assist if you’re a super pain in the ass about it. Not really her job though. I’d more likely just bid you a fine evening and go home.

Your floor just isn’t worth a major injury or months of rehab. Sorry.

"Your floor just isn’t worth a major injury or months of rehab. Sorry."

I couldn't agree more and I would hope that common sense and compassion would take precedence over everything else!
That is also something my parents instilled in us.:)

I'd much rather clean my floors after you left than be a jerk.

I do, but my shoes don’t re-enter my house afterward!
UqmNAFW.jpeg

Last edited:
The streets and sidewalks are just plain nasty! Dog crap, p!ss, dirt, vomit, etc. Shoes off at the front door (inside) and on the mat/rug is where they stay until you leave! That's how my parents raised us and I am so glad they did. I follow that practice to a tee in my home and have no problem politely 'demanding' the same of my guest.

When I visit others, I'm actually uncomfortable when I'm about to remove my shoes and they tell me I don't have to.

I keep a pack of these in the closet for when I have appliance or furniture deliveries;). Others are welcome to use them as well, but I haven't had a guest who preferred to keep their shoes on...yet
View attachment 82741
Agree! There’s times when we’ll get work done at the house (Cable, HVAC etc.) and there’s been many instances when the workers haven’t put those shoe guards on when they have to come into the house. Many of them have gotten better as of recent though we’ve noticed. They now start carrying those with them and will slip them out of courtesy, even without asking.

Agree! There’s times when we’ll get work done at the house (Cable, HVAC etc.) and there’s been many instances when the workers haven’t put those shoe guards on when they have to come into the house. Many of them have gotten better as of recent though we’ve noticed. They now start carrying those with them and will slip them out of courtesy, even without asking.

For eight years I installed satellite TV. I always had a box of (personally purchased) heavy-duty boot covers in the truck. There were many times I was happy to have them if only to protect my work boots from the filth inside the homes of the disgusting pigs who lived there.

:vomit:

CLUB DO NOT for us.
Guests get a pass, people matter more than stuff. If not then by all means hug your space heater itll warm you a bit.
Service work on newer homes is something I have done. Most houses you want your shoes(booties suck and don't stay on well when moving ). Don't miss the new homes part. Some people don't clean well.

Can't remember ever taking my shoes off at someone's house or being asked to. It would never cross my mind to unless I was asked.

I remove mine at home because I just don't like to wear shoes around the house.

Last edited:
Yup. If you think about all the places your shoes have been, I don’t know why the heck anybody would want to wear them in their home. Each to their own...

Just wait until you have a kid who plays with Legos......

I even have a solution for that problem. Got it all figured out, lol. I had some new furniture delivered last year and when I asked the delivery men to put on the booties, they told me it was against their company policy (something about liability).

Fine....hold on a second, give me a minute. Out comes my drop-cloths that I spread all over my carpets :p;)

It's against my company policy that you trample your filthy *** boots all over my carpet!:D

In Vietnam (and I suspect other Asian countries) it is common to remove one's shoes even when entering a workplace or office. Needless to say I wear slip on shoes when I'm meeting a client at their place.

I don't come from a family that takes shoes off indoors nor do I do it in my own house, but I will respect the rules of others if that is the case. That said, if I'm doing yard work or otherwise have muddy shoes, they are getting switched out in the garage.

Now if I could just convince the ladies that it is a cultural norm driven house rule to take their clothes off at the front door...

If you expect people to take their shoes off in your home, you should offer to lend them complimentary slippers to wear while they are there.

Shoes off at our place too. Too much snow, mud and horse manure gets tracked in at the ranch.
The front entry hall has a brick floor (and a gas fireplace) so everyone can get inside, out of the winter or wet spring weather before taking off their outerwear.

I keep a wicker basket in the hall closet, full of oversize, thick wool socks in various bright colors (red seems to be a favorite) for guests to pull over their socks so they can walk around the rest of the house in comfort.

So we recently had some guests over to the house for a meal, a few of which have been over many times in the past, but up until this time, not recently. Protocol at our house is removing your shoes at the door. If you’re new to our place than we’ll politely ask you to remove them, although it’s usually implied when you walk in and see a variety of shoes at the door and nobody else is wearing any.

Needless to say, these individuals didn’t remove their shoes and go walking across the house and didn’t think anything about it. It didn’t strike them until near the end, that they probably should remove their shoes since everyone else did.

There’s been a few instances where people have asked why we don’t wear shoes in the house. C’mon now, it should go without saying...

I get it, some people choose to trek through their homes in their dirty shoes, that’s fine, but when you’re a guest at someone else’s home, and they don’t wear theirs inside, you shouldn’t either. Quite frankly, I’m not sure why people wear everyday shoes in their house. You walk through public places, restrooms, you name it, then take those same shoes and walk through your home - just nasty!
As far as I’m concerned, if there’s a pile of shoes by the door, mine are coming off, mostly because I’d prefer not to wear them. And if people ask when coming into our house, it’s fine with us either way. Mine might come off when we have company, and if I’m company and there’s no shoe pile.

I was selling an ottoman that was a few months old, because I decided I wanted a coffee table instead. A couple that came to look at it sat on my couch and put their feet on the ottoman, with their shoes on. They did not buy it.

It didn’t take long after moving to Norway to get used to virtually everybody here takes off shoes when entering a house, even for open house for house sales (they do offer the blue shoe covers also), gyms (at the door), etc.

I pretty quickly grew to like it and learned to throw away socks with holes in them when dressing in the morning, instead of thinking I’d throw them out later.

My Norwegian wife comments and finds it so odd in tv shows or reality shows when people are walking in their own houses with shoes on. It’s also odd for us (even me) when we visit friends in the US and all have their shoes on inside.

If we have contractors/repair folk in the house, I often tell them they can leave their shoes on, knowing they will have to be going in and out, out to their trucks for tools, etc. and almost invariably they seem taken aback that I try to make it easier on them (as long as it isn’t snow or rain, muddy outside) and get guilty looks.

It was very weird at first when I moved here, but now feels totally normal.

What kills me is when people with dogs in their house ask you to take your shoes off when you come in. Are you serious? Do the dogs take off their shoes after running across the lawn where they just did their business? I understand if it is raining outside, snowy, or if your shoes are dirty, but let's get real.

What kills me is when people with dogs in their house ask you to take your shoes off when you come in. Are you serious? Do the dogs take off their shoes after running across the lawn where they just did their business? I understand if it is raining outside, snowy, or if your shoes are dirty, but let's get real.

You don't understand. We ask you to take off your shoes so the dog will have something to chew on besides the rug.

Personally find it incredibly rude when someone EXPECTS me to take my shoes off. Put me in the don't like to be shoeless camp...especially when not in my own home.

Part of that is always had wussy feet that I like to have the protection of shoes...but sitting shoeless in someone else's house (unless a CLOSE friend's) is as awkward as sitting there in my underwear. May seem a bit extreme but do not assume just becuse it is not a big deal to you it is not a big deal to others.

Now I get not tracking mud or weather inside but for day to day wear to each their own on preference but when I do run into that as a condition to enter I think overly compulsive OCD germ freak or neat freak.

Last edited:

The same people who let that same dog lick their face....

:vomit:

So this evening before going to work, I decide to take advantage of the beautiful weather and take a brisk, one hour walk to enjoy the sunset, get some fresh air and get the blood circulating a little. Sunset=reduced visibility and by the time I'm heading back home, it's dark. Not easy to see everything on the ground in front of you.

Now, there are pros and cons to living in any neighborhood, however, I happened to live in a small town with an exceptional number of dog owners. That in and of itself, I have no issues with. What I DO have an issue with, is how nasty some of the two legged dogs are, who fail to clean up after their four legged friends!!! :mad:

Mind you, I've never seen a stray dog in my area...EVER. Deer, cats and skunks...that's it.

So during my (fast) walk, I find myself playing hopscotch to avoid dog crap..Yuk! Damn near lost a few rounds.:eek: hop.jpg
Couldn't help but think about this thread LOL.

Now I grew up with a lot of sisters and they had friends, so I fondly remember them making me participate in the game, but I sucked at it. Hopscotch and hula-hoops.

So yeah, the filthy people who are too lazy to clean up after their pets (there are dog waste stations all along the streets, so there's no excuse), have reinforced why you ain't wearing your street shoes in my house. Not unless you have some physical ailment which limits mobility, making it difficult to remove them.

Last edited:
Having lived among the Tlingit people of Southeast Alaska, I can tell you the position on the Totem Pole is not related to social station.

From Oscar Newman (2004). Secret Stories in the Art of the Northwest Indian:

"Those from cultures that do not carve totem poles often assume that the linear representation of the figures places the most importance on the highest figure, an idea that became pervasive in the dominant culture after it entered into mainstream parlance by the 1930s with the phrase "low man on the totem pole" (and as the title of a bestselling 1941 humor book by H. Allen Smith). However, Native sources either reject the linear component altogether, or reverse the hierarchy, with the most important representations on the bottom, bearing the weight of all the other figures, or at eye level with the viewer to heighten their significance. Many poles have no vertical arrangement at all, consisting of a lone figure atop an undecorated column."

Now that is an interesting bit of ethnographic insight.

On another topic, all of this obsession with shoes and no love for cell phones. Covered in more bacteria, oil and grime than any shoe could ever hope to have. Think of how many times you touch some sketchy stuff and then grab your cell phone and put it up to your mouth...

Think of how many times you touch some sketchy stuff and then grab your cell phone and put it up to your mouth...
Why would I put my cell phone near my mouth?

If it rings I usually just throw it across the room until it stops.

If they don't know how to use email or text I'm sure I don't want to talk to them.

Back