Do you use flight following when flying VFR?

Which fits best?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Pretty much all the time unless it’s a short flight. Especially, in the practice area, it gets really busy so I’ll get FF.

Nope but generally flying planes with no electrical or no transponder. Having said that if I had a plane that was equipped and was going somewhere I probably would use it. Why not?

Sometimes don't even use a radio. :eek:

Anything XC or transitioning over or below Class C, I'll use FF. Short hops, maybe not.

I'm now part of big brother, I'm running feeder sites for flight aware for both 1090 and UAT, and I noticed that almost all traffic including UAT traffic has a transponder code. It surprised me. I almost never use FF unless going on a long trip. That's what prompted the poll.

sometimes. decision is made based on the situation. also filing IFR a lot now so FF has taken a back seat. short flights, especially with passengers, no FF. flying around just for the heck of it, no FF. getting thru airspace, FF. trafficky area, FF. just wanna be left alone, no FF. hard to answer the question. I get it when I want it and don't when I don't.

sometimes. decision is made based on the situation. also filing IFR a lot now so FF has taken a back seat. short flights, especially with passengers, no FF. flying around just for the heck of it, no FF. getting thru airspace, FF. trafficky area, FF. just wanna be left alone, no FF. hard to answer the question. I get it when I want it and don't when I don't.
I think “only when going somewhere new or challenging” fits that best.

Almost always when going somewhere. Almost never doing local sightseeing/practice maneuver type stuff.

Pretty much all the time unless it’s a short flight. Especially, in the practice area, it gets really busy so I’ll get FF.

You get flight following in the practice area?

I always get it for cross-country trips. Because I'm too lazy to file VFR flight plans. And I always forget to close them. Well actually, I take that back. I'm in Miami and heading north (I'm just talking the Tri-County South Florida area here) you can go east along the coast or west over the Everglades. If I go west to avoid the Bravo, to be honest, I usually don't talk to anyone. Going east along the coast it's a lot of fun to talk to everybody.

Last edited:
New York Approach I'm going to be doing a few touch and goes in the pattern at this little uncontrolled grass strip. I'd like flight following please.
It's not as ridiculous as it sounds, if that little strip is under or near a C or B they'll appreciate knowing what the target they see on their radar near big, fast, busy traffic is doing and won't suddenly dart off through an approach or departure path and mess up their flow.. if they don't care to hear from you they'll just tell you accordingly

Plus, even if you have 121.5 on speed dial, if the brown stuff hits the fan you'll be that much faster when it comes to the Communicate part of the emergency.. vs finding someone on 121.5, telling them where you are, etc

Yes, ADSB mandate is out, but at least around SoCal the tracon guys don't actually see or use the data (according to the tour I was on not that long ago). ATC infrastructure is cold war era.

I have never used flight following except during PPL training. A few years later, I am going on to my IFR and looking back, I believe it would have been good practice. I don't feel that I was an less safe flying cross country without it, but it is a valuable tool for those that want the extra level of security.

It's not as ridiculous as it sounds, if that little strip is under or near a C or B they'll appreciate knowing what the target they see on their radar near big, fast, busy traffic is doing and won't suddenly dart off through an approach or departure path and mess up their flow.. if they don't care to hear from you they'll just tell you accordingly

Plus, even if you have 121.5 on speed dial, if the brown stuff hits the fan you'll be that much faster when it comes to the Communicate part of the emergency.. vs finding someone on 121.5, telling them where you are, etc

Yes, ADSB mandate is out, but at least around SoCal the tracon guys don't actually see or use the data (according to the tour I was on not that long ago). ATC infrastructure is cold war era.

Perhaps but if I'm doing touch-and-goes out of Homestead X51, I don't think Miami approach wants to hear from me.

Nope. For the most part I see what they see. Don't see the value. Of course, the vast majority of my flights are over populated terrain. I would probably feel differently were I flying somewhere more remote.

Always. Good to know someone is right there when an emergency happens. I’ve had one engine failure and 2 precautionary landings in singles now in 2500 hours of flying. My chance off airport of survival goes up if they are already on the way / looking as I descend...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I only use FF any and every time I leave the pattern.

...allows me to be more heads down to focus more on my iPad and not worry about what is happening outside the plane. Its a lot more relaxing that way.

I only use FF any and every time I leave the pattern.

...allows me to be more heads down to focus more on my iPad and not worry about what is happening outside the plane. Its a lot more relaxing that way.

No FF = one iPad only :-(
FF = two or more!! More magenta lines = more fun!!
Also allows you focus on the important things like running your multiple cameras.

Frequently, not always. My home drome is beneath the Orlando Bravo and there are multiple class D and E airports nearby, so sometimes there's quite a bit of traffic and I appreciate an extra set of eyes. That's particularly true when there's a low ceiling, or when I'm over a scattered layer or maneuvering around clouds.

One thing some pilots don't realize is that you do NOT have to be going somewhere to get FF. If you are just going to make a run to the lake for a sightseeing trip or just want to go eat breakfast somewhere but don't want to be burdened with having to fly a "route", you can STILL ask ATC for FF and they will be glad to help. Just call them up and say "I am making a sightseeing trip to the lake and then on to KXXX for breakfast and would like FF". At least in my part of the woods they are always happy to oblige me.

And they really don't mind for practicing - just tell them the area you want to fly to and that you will be practicing slow flight, turns, etc. and they will work with you and watch out for you.

I do it all the time. This is for NE Texas and the East Texas Regional Airport controllers.

I am at a class D sandwiched between three airbases with fast movers so I am always talking to someone. So yes always FF.

Last edited:
I normally don't if I stick around the home drome because we don't have radar coverage until about 5000 feet. If I'm going somewhere I normally file IFR but if it's a short trip and they can see me on radar, I'd definitely use FF.

I use flight following pretty much all the time. I fly out of a busy class D, that's under B shelf near other busy airports, can make it exciting sometimes. It's great to have another set of eyes, but you still have to watch out for yourself.

It's really nice to be in contact with ATC when things aren't quite as expected. I was flying from Maine to home, took off, got FF, then the ceilings turned out to be lowering, I had planned one altitude and was forced lower in an area I wasn't prepared to fly lower in. So I called ATC, told them the ceiling was lower than I expected and I'd like a pop up ifr clearance, he asked me if I could get to the MVA altitude VFR, I could, so he gave me my clearance and I flew home in the clouds.

One thing some pilots don't realize is that you do NOT have to be going somewhere to get FF.

Yeah, I never understood where the notion that FF is only for long cross country flights from A to B came form or you are somehow stuck to a rigid flight plan. You can still do anything you want VFR absent restrictions. ATC just wants to know what to expect from you if it is not direct to destination.

Call once made to ATC: "NorCal, Skylane 345, gonna zip around the bay for some whale watching"..."Roger, thanks"

During training maneuvers is one of the BEST times to get FF IMO since you are distracted by so many other things as you spin around.

Last edited:
When I was based at IAD I pretty much had to use it all the time. I got into the habit that if I'm going far enough to take the time to get radar identified, I use it.

Generally only when operations in Class C or B airspace (or the occasional TRSA) are imminent.

Still getting used to the kinder and gentler Chicago approach. Near KENW it is a mix of Chicago, Rockford and Milwaukee approach that just makes flight following a no for practice/training. Heading somewhere, sure.

It varies, with PAX, maybe not. Alone most likely. Longer flight? Yeah. If I'm going to be landing a lot of different uncontrolled airports, then I don't get FF. However, a couple weekends ago, I was crossing 3 states alone, but flew without FF because I knew I'd be bouncing around altitudes. Monday, with flight following even though my family was riding along.

Never... I hate talking and listening.
For me that takes the fun and freedom out of flying.
I will never get my instrument rating. That flying isn't for me.

Every cross country flight I get it. Keeps me in the game and never hurts to have someone else looking out for me.

Back