electric vs vacuum vs digital Attitude Indicator

Archimago

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Archimago
My Attitude indicator is failing and its time to replace it. In a dream world I would love the new Garmin GI 275 units that fit nicely in the same hole but they are over 3k. and I am guessing more expensive to install as they display lot of information so therefore need a lot of things hooked up to it.

The other two options are a refurnished vacuum unit or an electric unit.
What are the pros and cons of the electric vs vacuum instruments. Are the electric versions more accurate? Are they more costly to install? etc.
Thanks!
Richard

I think the Garmin and Aerovinics units have emergency battery backup in case of electrical failure.

The electric is inop as soon as you lose enough electrical power in the plane.

Maybe the answer of which to choose lies in what your intended mission is in using the AI.

If you replace a vacuum AI with an electric AI, make sure you’ve got adequate power redundancy.

I think fewer guys are installing the electronic AI. The cost the same or more than a G5 or AV-30.

Like mauleskinner said, a back-up power is also needed with the AI. The AV-30 certified is supposed to ready by Summer. I bet they are working hard for Sun n Fun or Osh to be ready.

Wow... that AV 30 looks amazing, doesn't even look like a digital display. The G5 looks like a computer game to me--just personal reaction.
Does the unit come with the sensors for the functions or is each one of those extra?
What would it cost to install a unit like that? Maybe I should hold out a little longer.

Since I have an invincible WET vacuum pump (not a killer dry pump) I just replace my AI with a new unit for about $800. The factory original lasted over 30 years. Besides, I wanted it to have blue above the horizon for better interpretation. My DG is original from 1964, never touched, and still performs just great.

Wow... that AV 30 looks amazing, doesn't even look like a digital display. The G5 looks like a computer game to me--just personal reaction.
Does the unit come with the sensors for the functions or is each one of those extra?
What would it cost to install a unit like that? Maybe I should hold out a little longer.

I'm getting one when they ship.
AV-30 presentations.jpg

Back